Hello

I have the following hardware profile:

AMD64 3400- socket 754
DFI LanParty III - Ultra 250GB
1 Gig OCZ Platinum Memory
WD Raptor
Sapphire 9800 Pro
Forteron 350W PSU

I've installed Win2k3 as a workstation on this machine. I have also
installed Catalyst 4.9 drivers which it seems to have installed the
Catalyst Win2k3 drivers. The video card works properly but with the
exception of one problem:

I decided to run Prime95 to make sure that this newly build machine has
no cooling problems when the CPU is fully loaded. After about 5 minutes,
the screen becomes completely garbled. I logon to the machine using
Remote Desktop from another PC. The machine itself does not crash and the
CPU temp is within operating ranges. The video is not restored until the
machine is rebooted.

The highest CPU temp seen during the 2 hours of Prime95 is 59 C and
highest system temp is 48 C.

Is this a heating issue or is this problem power related?

I have run the Win2k3 dxdiag display tests and they were all successful.

Thanks in advance for any help or hint.

Regards

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

I had this problem with a ATI 9800 pro and it was a power supply problem
(cheap 325w no name ps). A new name brand 400w PS fixed the problem but that
was me and may not be your problem.

Randy

Randy wrote:

> I had this problem with a ATI 9800 pro and it was a power supply
> problem (cheap 325w no name ps). A new name brand 400w PS fixed the
> problem but that was me and may not be your problem.

I think it is his problem ... get at least a 400w power supply name
brand your problems should go away.

regards

@ndrew

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in news:4172f6f9
@duster.adelaide.on.net:

> Randy wrote:
>
>> I had this problem with a ATI 9800 pro and it was a power supply
>> problem (cheap 325w no name ps). A new name brand 400w PS fixed the
>> problem but that was me and may not be your problem.
>>

> I think it is his problem ... get at least a 400w power supply name
> brand your problems should go away.
>
> regards
>
> @ndrew

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the suggestions.

Take care

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"--" <--@nowhere.inv> wrote in news:Xns9585AD704DACCNone@68.6.19.6:

> "@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in news:4172f6f9
> @duster.adelaide.on.net:
>
>> Randy wrote:
>>
>>> I had this problem with a ATI 9800 pro and it was a power supply
>>> problem (cheap 325w no name ps). A new name brand 400w PS fixed the
>>> problem but that was me and may not be your problem.
>>>

>> I think it is his problem ... get at least a 400w power supply name
>> brand your problems should go away.
>>
>> regards
>>
>> @ndrew
>>

> Thanks, guys, I appreciate the suggestions.
>
> Take care

Well, it seems that someone :)), forgot to connect the 4-pin PSU
connector to 12v input next to the CPU! Doh!!!!!

Remember boys and girls, make sure that you provide full power to your
MB! :)