id Software Releases RAGE Patch, Carmack Curses

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Every game that comes out of Bethesda seems to be riddled with bugs. Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Oblivion etc. But thankfully, the gameplay in each of those games was exceptional, and more than made up for the technical glitches, which the mod community patched up anyways. I just hope that RAGE will have a saving grace. It can't be graphics, obviously,, so it has to be gameplay.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
[citation][nom]bennaye[/nom]Every game that comes out of Bethesda seems to be riddled with bugs. Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Oblivion etc. But thankfully, the gameplay in each of those games was exceptional, and more than made up for the technical glitches, which the mod community patched up anyways. I just hope that RAGE will have a saving grace. It can't be graphics, obviously,, so it has to be gameplay.[/citation]

I agree with fallout 3, but new vegas ran perfectly fine, i dont think i ever had a problem with it since launch date (except for that weird save bug). Fallout 3 though was riddled with problems but after all the patches they released it worked almost perfectly

brotoles

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
The game is very good, I'm really enjoying it.

It's old school shooting with a mission hub structure. The fact that you can carry all your weapons at once is very nice too! :)

And the graphics aren't the best I've seen, but they run silky smooth for what they deliver. It really adds to the experience.

I just don't understand why they only tested the game in-house, or at least why they didn't use the actual realease amd and nvidia drivers, instead of custom ones.

G

Why dont they just work with AMD and Nvidia to release their games AFTER AMD and Nvidia have a stable driver release available for their games? Then make a driver check and update system that launches when you install the game.

netkcid

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
they should just use the api like everyone else and not request custom extensions... kinda defeats the whole idea behind a standard api...

Bugaw

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
It seems since the advent of consoles (Nintendo being the big one) most people have bought those since it's easy to just drop the game in and play. Apparently it has gained popularity over the PC.
I am in no way bashing consoles as I like them as well but not for certain games. FPS mostly.
I have owned both but prefer the PC due to the flexibility. I've been playing PC games since the late 90's. Since then I have noticed a decline in quality control. Why release a game when it obviously has bugs? I'll explain later. It has happened but not as bad has it has recently.
Oblivion is a great example. Multiple official and unofficial patches for the PC. Even console issues. Really bad. Who were the beta testers and what kick backs were they given? I'm just speculating on that last statement. I have installed that game on three different (progressively better) systems and all had issues. The same issues!
Now Rage has come out. Bethesda has failed to impress me but ID has always been gold in my eyes. Not anymore. The graphics are no where superior to that of say Crysis or Crysis 2. Hell, MW2 and COD: Black Ops have better graphics and I didn't like those games for the money grubbing issues of acquiring new and better multiplayer maps simply because there wasn't a SDK provided so the company could make money on new, bigger and better MP maps. They saw the success and long lasting appeal of the original Half-Life and COD series of user created maps and mods. Effing greedy!

Back to Rage and my rage.
I had to maually go into the the file folder (DC:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rage\base) and rename/delete the video file to get the game to even start. This was after the first patch!
All of the graphical tweeks that used to be included in the in-game options are not here in order to release a stable game. LOL. Leads me to believe the console versions were more important.
The almighty $ seems to be the issue. I remember when Half-Life came out. Life in the PC world was bliss. Great game, great story, great everything including mods and maps that you didn't have to pay extra for because of the SDK that was provided. Counter-Strike and Day Of Defeat to name couple. The Call Of Duty series was another great PC exclusive game with mods and maps you didn't have to pay for because of the SDK tools that were given for the end-user to create and provide. Those games lasted beyond their initial release. Hell I was playing CDO:UO for a year after it's initial release.
I can also name a load of PC games that never had issues like they have now. Even back then there when many differnet PC configurations concerning hardware. Not much in the way we have now but no where near the CTD, audio and video problems nowadays.
PC games never had the major issues they have now. Multi-platformed games have changed this.
Quality control seems secondary now when it comes to the PC. Even some games released on consoles have issues as well. Dead Island on the PS3 has had issues. Quality control has taken a back-seat when it comes to release deadlines and it's very sad.
Sadly, bottom line:
"Just release a patch and get this thing out the door so we can make money and I won't lose my job because of a deadline"
That's the comment I believe is the standard nowadays.

Bugaw

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011

Because it wouldn't be cost effective. They would lose money doing so. Release the game and patch later. Been that way for many companies for years.

Bugaw

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011

Full agreement on that statement except for the Rage graphical/gameplay one. Gameplay is good just not the graphics.

species8472

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
The thing that bugs me most about this game is that even if most or all of the bugs are worked out, the grphics tweaking options are so limited.

G

[citation][nom]bavman[/nom]I agree with fallout 3, but new vegas ran perfectly fine, i dont think i ever had a problem with it since launch date (except for that weird save bug). Fallout 3 though was riddled with problems but after all the patches they released it worked almost perfectly[/citation]

I had the exact opposite experience, Fallout 3 worked flawlessly on my console and New Vegas was almost unplayable with all the glitches, freezes and frame rate problems. Did i.d. have a closed or open beta for rage?

G

are there any awards for best/worst game? Like an Oscar's for gaming. But there should also be a wall of shame. We need something like that (if it doesn't exist already).

I can think of a few strong candidates for "Worst Week One Launch - PC Category" for 2011.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
LOL Carmack is saying its the PC drivers fault about Rage???? Thats like putting water in your gas tank and getting pissed off at your car because it doesnt run.....Idiot!

Im so glad I canceled my Rage pre-order and they didnt get my money. At least Battlefield 3 is giving its most to all platforms. Props to Dice!

nekromobo

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
[citation][nom]nekromobo[/nom]Gladly Dark Souls runs AMAZINGLY on xbox, take that Raging Skyrim![/citation]
Also note Rage is OpenGL game, when was the last time you saw any of that?? The OGL where old on the older builds of drivers, so it can be expected that it doesn't run same as DX11/10/9

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Carmack are very adept at squeezing out every ounce of power in lower powered devices, like the old days PC's and todays consoles. It would seem he ain't that good to take advantage of the latest gen hardware thoo.

Gameplay in Rage was awesome (completed it) but the gfx even after major tweaking - not that great.

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Oh, Carmack says its "their drivers issue". How about its their shitty console port that is the problem. No other game in recent history have come out with such a load of bugs. Carmack doesn't care about PC gamers anymore. I'm not buying their shitty and buggy game for sure.

[citation][nom]bennaye[/nom]Every game that comes out of Bethesda seems to be riddled with bugs. Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Oblivion etc. But thankfully, the gameplay in each of those games was exceptional, and more than made up for the technical glitches, which the mod community patched up anyways. I just hope that RAGE will have a saving grace. It can't be graphics, obviously,, so it has to be gameplay.[/citation]

RAGE itself is a very good game. I am enjoying it. I have been running it on a HD5870 with no issues. But I can say it was mainly the drivers causing the issue.

The 11.9 had a older OpenGL driver that wasn't quite up to par for RAGE. The 11.10 RAG drivers fixed that and the 11.10v2 fixed pretty much every issue.

The patch made it so you don't need a config file to run high texture settings, but to get the extreme texture settings (16K textures) you do need one and more than 1GB of VRAM.

Still the game is enjoyable. The car mechanics bring me back to Vigilante 8 days.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Mmmm @ jimmysmitty

You mentioned v8... i loved that game just because of that little mention of driving feel part make me wanna check this game out ^_^

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
The game is bugged as hell, there's no excuse. The game crashes almost every other zone transition (crashes on the loading screen). They must have virtually no QA and testing?!! If they had, they would have known about the issues in advance/before launch.

It's actually great such shitty coders ended up in a game studio instead of some real SW company which produces some useful software.

Status
Not open for further replies.