which graphics card?

Hello all

I have an athlon xp 2000+ with 512mb ram running on an msi kt3 ultra
mobo. At the moment it has a geforce ti4200 and I'd like to upgrade
to a dx9 card. My budget is about £150 ($200 approx) and I'd
appreciate any thoughts about which card would be the best bet.

My mobo only supports 4x agp. Will that hold me back with a new card?

thanks in advance

Richard

Richard Stanton wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I have an athlon xp 2000+ with 512mb ram running on an msi kt3 ultra
> mobo. At the moment it has a geforce ti4200 and I'd like to upgrade
> to a dx9 card. My budget is about £150 ($200 approx) and I'd
> appreciate any thoughts about which card would be the best bet.
>
> My mobo only supports 4x agp. Will that hold me back with a new card?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Richard

9800 Pro would be a perfect upgrade, your cpu will choke before it does, and
I believe you can get one for around your price range these days.

It does AA and AS very well, and will run at 4Xagp fine.

I just sold a 9700 Pro on Ebay for 120 bucks, those were excellent cards as
well and if you want to save some bucks, can probably find one on Ebay. It
would be a good match on your system also.

Good luck,

--
Don Burnette

Andrew

On 17 Oct 2004 05:02:50 -0700, richardpstanton@yahoo.com (Richard
Stanton) wrote:

>I have an athlon xp 2000+ with 512mb ram running on an msi kt3 ultra
>mobo. At the moment it has a geforce ti4200 and I'd like to upgrade
>to a dx9 card. My budget is about £150 ($200 approx) and I'd
>appreciate any thoughts about which card would be the best bet.

Probably a 9800 Pro.

>My mobo only supports 4x agp. Will that hold me back with a new card?

As has been asked and answered a million times, no.

"Richard Stanton" <richardpstanton@yahoo.com> wrote in message

" My budget is about £150 ($200 approx) and I'd appreciate any thoughts
about which card would be the best bet. "

Sell your XP 2000+ and Ti4200 at www.ebay.co.uk . The following can then be
done for around £150:

1. Buy a Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB. Check www.dealtime.co.uk and
www.kelkoo.co.uk for prices.

2. This eBay seller claims that you can unlock the L2 cache from 256KB to
512KB on these 2400+ Thortons. Check with them, and if true, these are a
good buy to maximize your motherboard's potential. http://snipurl.com/9txg

JohnS

I have the same setup at home .. except 1 gig ram. In
it, I have Gigabyte Radeon 9600XT 128. That card
seems optimum for that CPU, and Far Cry, etc runs
really well on all Medium settings except Environ on
high .. for surf, birds, etc. PSU is 350 watts and no
heat problems. I think if you go to the 9800 with the
extra power requirements, you may need to get a
case with a side fan like the Antec?? ( I forget, but
they work. That side fan cools the video card and
CPU directly, and the case temp stays down nicely.
Advise getting 9600XT and another 512 ram .. for
total $200.

johns

An ATI 9600 XT starts around $130.

The 9800SE also starts around $130, but SE usually means crippled version.

"Richard Stanton" <richardpstanton@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello all
>
> I have an athlon xp 2000+ with 512mb ram running on an msi kt3 ultra
> mobo. At the moment it has a geforce ti4200 and I'd like to upgrade
> to a dx9 card. My budget is about £150 ($200 approx) and I'd
> appreciate any thoughts about which card would be the best bet.
>
> My mobo only supports 4x agp. Will that hold me back with a new card?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Richard

"Richard Stanton" <richardpstanton@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello all
>
> I have an athlon xp 2000+ with 512mb ram running on an msi kt3 ultra
> mobo. At the moment it has a geforce ti4200 and I'd like to upgrade
> to a dx9 card. My budget is about £150 ($200 approx) and I'd
> appreciate any thoughts about which card would be the best bet.
>
> My mobo only supports 4x agp. Will that hold me back with a new card?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Richard

A 9700 Pro or 9700 Pro AIW can be had for a very decent price, and if you
check the review sites, the 9800 Pro doesn't give you a ton of better
performance. I'd bet that if you don't read benchmark numbers, you
couldn't tell the difference when playing games.