live update will not install 2 virus definitions

April 4, 2005 7:19:02 AM

kept being alerted that virus definitions not up to date but live update
could not install 2 of them so alert kept coming back. managed to use
Intelligent Updater and system now green and "OK", but when I run live update
I still keep getting message that 2 definitions cannot be installed with
error messages LU 1821 and LU 1806.

have tried all suggestions. This happened on April 1st !!

scans suggest netsky worm responsible but then say I haven't got it!

also suggest delete "Adware" prog files - not listed under prog files and if
I delete in WE they keep coming back
April 4, 2005 9:07:02 AM

thanks for prompt response. Have carefully followed knowledge based articles
for LU 1806, LU1821 and have done everything they suggest. Installing
Intelligent updater resulted in system is at least "green" and says "OK" but
why can't live update find these last 2 updates ?

"george" wrote:

> kept being alerted that virus definitions not up to date but live update
> could not install 2 of them so alert kept coming back. managed to use
> Intelligent Updater and system now green and "OK", but when I run live update
> I still keep getting message that 2 definitions cannot be installed with
> error messages LU 1821 and LU 1806.
>
> have tried all suggestions. This happened on April 1st !!
>
> scans suggest netsky worm responsible but then say I haven't got it!
>
> also suggest delete "Adware" prog files - not listed under prog files and if
> I delete in WE they keep coming back

April 4, 2005 9:56:49 AM

george wrote:

> thanks for prompt response. Have carefully followed knowledge based
> articles
> for LU 1806, LU1821 and have done everything they suggest. Installing
> Intelligent updater resulted in system is at least "green" and says
> "OK" but why can't live update find these last 2 updates ?
>
> "george" wrote:
>
>> kept being alerted that virus definitions not up to date but live
>> update
>> could not install 2 of them so alert kept coming back. managed to
>> use Intelligent Updater and system now green and "OK", but when I run
>> live update I still keep getting message that 2 definitions cannot be
>> installed with error messages LU 1821 and LU 1806.
>>
>> have tried all suggestions. This happened on April 1st !!
>>
>> scans suggest netsky worm responsible but then say I haven't got it!
>>
>> also suggest delete "Adware" prog files - not listed under prog files
>> and if I delete in WE they keep coming back

I'm sorry, but this is a question you will have to ask Symantec tech
support. This is an issue with their program. You will find very few
techs who use/recommend Symantec products any more and you now know
part of the reason.

Good luck,

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com

thanks for trying anyway. Is there an easy, reliable, safe alternative AV ?

"Malke" wrote:

> george wrote:
>
> > thanks for prompt response. Have carefully followed knowledge based
> > articles
> > for LU 1806, LU1821 and have done everything they suggest. Installing
> > Intelligent updater resulted in system is at least "green" and says
> > "OK" but why can't live update find these last 2 updates ?
> >
> > "george" wrote:
> >
> >> kept being alerted that virus definitions not up to date but live
> >> update
> >> could not install 2 of them so alert kept coming back. managed to
> >> use Intelligent Updater and system now green and "OK", but when I run
> >> live update I still keep getting message that 2 definitions cannot be
> >> installed with error messages LU 1821 and LU 1806.
> >>
> >> have tried all suggestions. This happened on April 1st !!
> >>
> >> scans suggest netsky worm responsible but then say I haven't got it!
> >>
> >> also suggest delete "Adware" prog files - not listed under prog files
> >> and if I delete in WE they keep coming back
>
> I'm sorry, but this is a question you will have to ask Symantec tech
> support. This is an issue with their program. You will find very few
> techs who use/recommend Symantec products any more and you now know
> part of the reason.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> In Memoriam - MVP Alex Nichol
> The world is diminished without him.

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 1:26:07 AM

Most problems with Nortons can be found by searching the knowledge base
http://www.symantec.com/search/

In the search filed type: LU1821
When you have looked at the articles, then do a search for LU1806

"george" <george@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> kept being alerted that virus definitions not up to date but live update
> could not install 2 of them so alert kept coming back. managed to use
> Intelligent Updater and system now green and "OK", but when I run live update
> I still keep getting message that 2 definitions cannot be installed with
> error messages LU 1821 and LU 1806.
>
> have tried all suggestions. This happened on April 1st !!
>
> scans suggest netsky worm responsible but then say I haven't got it!
>
> also suggest delete "Adware" prog files - not listed under prog files and if
> I delete in WE they keep coming back

April 5, 2005 10:35:07 AM

george wrote:

> thanks for trying anyway. Is there an easy, reliable, safe
> alternative AV ?

I use F-Prot on my Windows machines. EZ-AV from Computer Associates is
also quite good.

http://www.f-prot.com
http://www.my-etrust.com

Malke