Call of Duty and 4.10

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 18, 2004 4:21:29 AM

Just upgraded my 9800pro to 4.10 and Call of Duty Multiplayer keeps freezing
about 5 minutes into the game.
If there is sound going on it goes into an endless stutter loop and the
computer is completly locked up.
I did an install over 4.9 as I have always done is there a utility to
completly remove the drivers so I can do a vanilla install ?

More about : call duty

October 18, 2004 5:48:57 AM

Yes there is, at the bottom of the ati driver download page i think.

Mike

"liam" <liam@world.com> wrote in message
> Just upgraded my 9800pro to 4.10 and Call of Duty Multiplayer keeps
> freezing about 5 minutes into the game.
> If there is sound going on it goes into an endless stutter loop and the
> computer is completly locked up.
> I did an install over 4.9 as I have always done is there a utility to
> completly remove the drivers so I can do a vanilla install ?

October 18, 2004 5:49:33 AM

btw, the ati utility will remove everything ati, mmc, demos, cp etc.

Mike

"liam" <liam@world.com> wrote in message
> Just upgraded my 9800pro to 4.10 and Call of Duty Multiplayer keeps
> freezing about 5 minutes into the game.
> If there is sound going on it goes into an endless stutter loop and the
> computer is completly locked up.
> I did an install over 4.9 as I have always done is there a utility to
> completly remove the drivers so I can do a vanilla install ?

November 22, 2004 6:34:12 PM

I have had no such problems with 4.9 up to 4.12 betas that I am using now.
When installing it is a good idea to uninstall ATI control panel and drivers
through control panel, reboot, then install drivers, reboot then ATI control
panel.

"Loan Shark" <loanshark@theclgroup.com> wrote in message
> There is a problem with COD and ATI Radeon driver, even with version 4.9
> which I continue to use, however the video freezes momentarily about every
> minute or two pretty consistently. When I have tried upgrading to 4.10 or
> 4.11 both of these caused a lockup in 4 to 5 minutes that I would need to
> do a hard reset to get out of.
>
> I reported the problem to ATI two months ago with no response.
>
> "liam" <lm2000uk@microsoft.com> wrote in message
<snip>
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 7:55:01 PM

Taking a moment's reflection, Loan Shark mused:

| There is a problem with COD and ATI Radeon driver, even with version 4.9
| which I continue to use, however the video freezes momentarily about every
| minute or two pretty consistently. When I have tried upgrading to 4.10 or
| 4.11 both of these caused a lockup in 4 to 5 minutes that I would need to
| do a hard reset to get out of.

No problem with COD and 4.10s here.
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 7:04:27 PM

Unfortunately your suggestions don't work for me. I tried completely
uninstalling all ATI drivers, then downloaded and installed, just the 4.11
drivers, rebooted, then installed just the Control Panel, rebooted. Same
problem, anywhere from 4-5 minutes into the game, it freezes up.

I've got an MSI K8N Neo Platinum with an AMD 3400+ processor and 1 gig of
fast memory, running on a SATA RAID 0 160 gig configuration, all with proper
cooling and no over clocking. I've tried using both the onboard sound and a
Soundblaster Audigy 2 Gamer, with the same results.

When I uninstall all ATI drivers and then reinstall version 4.9, COD plays
fine albeit a couple second pause at what appears to be irratic intervals,
usually causing me to get shot! But it doesn't lockup the computer
completely, I'm able to continue play. I had a Nvidea 6800 card in my
computer prior to the ATI and COD didn't experience this problem, however
the regular Windows text display on the Nvidea is horrible to try to read,
so I brought that card back for the ATI which I prefer anyway.

No problem with any other game or application that I run except for COD, so
my theory is has something to do with the game and how it reacts with the
ATI x800 card.
"Son of Blahguy" <snuh@whatsamatta.edu> wrote in message
>I have had no such problems with 4.9 up to 4.12 betas that I am using now.
> When installing it is a good idea to uninstall ATI control panel and
> drivers through control panel, reboot, then install drivers, reboot then
> ATI control panel.
>

> "Loan Shark" <loanshark@theclgroup.com> wrote in message
>> There is a problem with COD and ATI Radeon driver, even with version 4.9
>> which I continue to use, however the video freezes momentarily about
>> every minute or two pretty consistently. When I have tried upgrading to
>> 4.10 or 4.11 both of these caused a lockup in 4 to 5 minutes that I would
>> need to do a hard reset to get out of.
>>
>> I reported the problem to ATI two months ago with no response.
>>
>> "liam" <lm2000uk@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> <snip>

Anonymous
November 25, 2004 1:42:20 PM

> Unfortunately your suggestions don't work for me. I tried completely
> uninstalling all ATI drivers, then downloaded and installed, just the 4.11
> drivers, rebooted, then installed just the Control Panel, rebooted. Same
> problem, anywhere from 4-5 minutes into the game, it freezes up.
>
> I've got an MSI K8N Neo Platinum with an AMD 3400+ processor and 1 gig of
> fast memory, running on a SATA RAID 0 160 gig configuration, all with
> proper cooling and no over clocking. I've tried using both the onboard
> sound and a Soundblaster Audigy 2 Gamer, with the same results.
>
> When I uninstall all ATI drivers and then reinstall version 4.9, COD plays
> fine albeit a couple second pause at what appears to be irratic intervals,
> usually causing me to get shot! But it doesn't lockup the computer
> completely, I'm able to continue play. I had a Nvidea 6800 card in my
> computer prior to the ATI and COD didn't experience this problem, however
> the regular Windows text display on the Nvidea is horrible to try to read,
> so I brought that card back for the ATI which I prefer anyway.
>
> No problem with any other game or application that I run except for COD,
> so my theory is has something to do with the game and how it reacts with
> the ATI x800 card.

Is that a 64 bit system?
I would try asking in an MSI group.
If your problem was a common one I'm sure we would hear more of it.
I had a problem ages ago with only Quake3 and a Voodoo2 (remember those
;-)). It would run for maybe an hour then suddenly lock up. Tried absolutely
everything I could think of, but still no joy. I had a particular demo that
I would run and it would crash somewhere. Ended up doing a fresh install of
Win98 and everything was fine.

Good luck.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 3:24:38 PM

I have the smae problem, except when running CoD in Safe mode, or turning
bells and whistles way down. My system:
XP2500+ @ 3200
Kingston HyperX mem
Chainteck 7NJL4 mobo
Audigy soundcard
Sapphire 9800 Pro

I've also tried a varieties of solutions, and have found no solution, except
to go back to older drivers....
!