problem reading SD card Kodak DX6490

I've just encountered a problem with my PC no longer being able to "see" the
pictures on the San Disk 256 mb SD card I've put in my Kodak DX6490. Both
camera and card are about 6 weeks old (bought separately) - Previously when
I've transferred pictures from the camera to my computer I've done it via
the USB cable that came with the camera. Today I tried it by putting the SD
card into my comps built in SD card reader slot (gawd knows why!), only to
find that there were no images on it...I put the card back into the camera
and using the preview feature found that they were still there, in all there
glory on the LCD Display!

Anyone any ideas what's happened? I've tried reinstalling the Kodak
software that came with the camera, but it still doesn't pick up the images.
Is it possible that I've somehow corrupted the SD card when transferring it
to the comp (but if that's the case how come the pictures are still
displayed on the LCD???) I've switched to internal memory and the pictures
stored there load onto the comp without any problems...so it's probably the
card, but I'm pretty confused to be honest!

If I reformat the card is it likely to solve the problem (aside from losing
the pics that is) or should I ditch the card and write it off to experience.

Apologies for going on at such length!

coma

Greetings Coma,

Sorry to hear about your experience. More than likely something may have
happened to the actual images and you are viewing the little thumbnail
images that the camera uses for display. I suggest that you try the card
in another system to see if you can capture or view the actual images. What
kind of system do you have? I.e. Windows 2000, XP, or something else.
Taking the card to a camera or computer store will allow you the option of
viewing the card contents. If you cannot see the images on any system,
reformat the card in the camera and try again. Take some pictures and try
transferring to the camera.

Some memory cards that have been formatted in a card reader using the
Windows FAT32 file system may encounter problems, including messages on the
camera's LCD that the card needs to be formatted or that the "Card is slow."
Occasionally a brand new memory card will display this irregularity when it
is first used.

If you have encountered either of these issues in your KODAK EASYSHARE
Digital Camera, and the memory cards have been formatted using the FAT32
file system, there are two easy work-arounds:

1) If the card was formatted in a card reader using the FAT32 file system,
simply reformat the card in the reader and select the FAT file system.
(This is available as a formatting option on Windows 2000, ME and XP.)

2) If you do not have a card reader, simply format the card in the camera
itself using the Setup Menu selection for formatting the memory card.

If you continue to have trouble, let me know.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"c_e" <coma_ellipse@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've just encountered a problem with my PC no longer being able to "see"
the
> pictures on the San Disk 256 mb SD card I've put in my Kodak DX6490. Both
> camera and card are about 6 weeks old (bought separately) - Previously
when
> I've transferred pictures from the camera to my computer I've done it via
> the USB cable that came with the camera. Today I tried it by putting the
SD
> card into my comps built in SD card reader slot (gawd knows why!), only to
> find that there were no images on it...I put the card back into the camera
> and using the preview feature found that they were still there, in all
there
> glory on the LCD Display!
>
> Anyone any ideas what's happened? I've tried reinstalling the Kodak
> software that came with the camera, but it still doesn't pick up the
images.
> Is it possible that I've somehow corrupted the SD card when transferring
it
> to the comp (but if that's the case how come the pictures are still
> displayed on the LCD???) I've switched to internal memory and the
pictures
> stored there load onto the comp without any problems...so it's probably
the
> card, but I'm pretty confused to be honest!
>
> If I reformat the card is it likely to solve the problem (aside from
losing
> the pics that is) or should I ditch the card and write it off to
experience.

> Apologies for going on at such length!
>
> coma

"c_e" <coma_ellipse@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've just encountered a problem with my PC no longer being able to "see"
the
> pictures on the San Disk 256 mb SD card I've put in my Kodak DX6490. Both
> camera and card are about 6 weeks old (bought separately) - Previously
when
> I've transferred pictures from the camera to my computer I've done it via
> the USB cable that came with the camera. Today I tried it by putting the
SD
> card into my comps built in SD card reader slot (gawd knows why!), only to
> find that there were no images on it...I put the card back into the camera
> and using the preview feature found that they were still there, in all
there
> glory on the LCD Display!

Try looking here: http://sdprob.aximsite.com/theproblemlist.htm

It's someone's list of SD cards that are known to cause problems, or to be
reliable.

PS Nice to see someone from Kodak co. reply to your post - I wonder if a
Sandisk spokesperson would do the same ?!!

From time to time I get a similar problem with a SanDisk 128 Mb SD card.

I've found that the only way to cure the problem is to format the card in
the camera.

I'd quite like to know what causes the problem though as the SD card hasn't
been changed since I first bought it and hasn't been formatted in the card
reader to the best of my knowledge.

Are SanDisk less reliable? Here is the UK I've bought SD's from Jessops -
the photo retailer - and they've proved very reliable!

Steve

"Mark W" <s@o> wrote in message

> "c_e" <coma_ellipse@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I've just encountered a problem with my PC no longer being able to "see"
> the
> > pictures on the San Disk 256 mb SD card I've put in my Kodak DX6490.
Both
> > camera and card are about 6 weeks old (bought separately) - Previously
> when
> > I've transferred pictures from the camera to my computer I've done it
via
> > the USB cable that came with the camera. Today I tried it by putting the
> SD
> > card into my comps built in SD card reader slot (gawd knows why!), only
> > find that there were no images on it...I put the card back into the
camera
> > and using the preview feature found that they were still there, in all
> there
> > glory on the LCD Display!
>

> Try looking here: http://sdprob.aximsite.com/theproblemlist.htm
>
> It's someone's list of SD cards that are known to cause problems, or to be
> reliable.
>
> PS Nice to see someone from Kodak co. reply to your post - I wonder if a
> Sandisk spokesperson would do the same ?!!

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 19:38:30 +0100, "StevePlym"
<steve_turner@tesco.net> wrote:

>Are SanDisk less reliable? Here is the UK I've bought SD's from Jessops -
>the photo retailer - and they've proved very reliable!

I have no idea but the 3 Sandisk cards I have has not caused problem
with my internal 6-in-1 memory card reader with Win XP, external MM/SD
reader hooked to a Macintosh, Kodak 6340 or Toshiba PDA. All 3 I have
were made in China
--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net