Activesync Passthru via wi-fi connection

April 26, 2004 12:57:34 PM

I have temporairly moved due to work. Becuase of this move (3-5
weeks), I've lost my broadband ISP connection. So, I've been using
AOL dial-up (I know, not a real ISP, but it's free), which does not
allow me to acccess the internet via wi-fi on my PocketPC (iPaq 4150).
I understand why and I'm ok with it.

BUT, I accidently discovered this weekend, that I CAN access the
internet on my PPC via my PC's AOL dial-up account by using the
ActiveSync pass-thru option, but ONLY if my PocketPC is connected via
the USB cradle. I cannot seem to get ActiveSync passthru to work over
my wi-fi connection.

Does anyone know if this is possible?? I can't understand why it
wouldn't be if it works via the USB cradle! By the way, I connect via
wi-fi through a Linksys 4 port wireless router.

I've been using VNC to access my PC (which is in the attic), then
dialing up through AOL to access the internet, but all of the scolling
around is driving me nuts! I miss my PocketIE and getting my Hotmaill
via the PPC inbox (with HTTPMail add-on, of course)!

Please, please help! It's driving me crazy (but obviously not crazy
enough to break down and spend the damn $20 for a real ISP)! No, but
seriously, the real reason I don't want to get a real ISP is because
I'm only going to be there for 2-3 more weeks... Almost doesn't seem
worth the trouble of setting up an ISP account for 2 weeks!

Thank you!
April 27, 2004 8:17:37 AM

Try going into control panel. select network connections. right click on the
AOL account. on the advanced tab; their should be a portion for ICS
(Internet connection sharing). check the box that reads "Allow other network
users to connect to the internet throgh this network connection". reboot
your desktop. provided all your network setup is correct on your PPC; this
will work.

-Ted

"James Trosky" <jamestrosky@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have temporairly moved due to work. Becuase of this move (3-5
> weeks), I've lost my broadband ISP connection. So, I've been using
> AOL dial-up (I know, not a real ISP, but it's free), which does not
> allow me to acccess the internet via wi-fi on my PocketPC (iPaq 4150).
> I understand why and I'm ok with it.
>
> BUT, I accidently discovered this weekend, that I CAN access the
> internet on my PPC via my PC's AOL dial-up account by using the
> ActiveSync pass-thru option, but ONLY if my PocketPC is connected via
> the USB cradle. I cannot seem to get ActiveSync passthru to work over
> my wi-fi connection.
>
> Does anyone know if this is possible?? I can't understand why it
> wouldn't be if it works via the USB cradle! By the way, I connect via
> wi-fi through a Linksys 4 port wireless router.
>
> I've been using VNC to access my PC (which is in the attic), then
> dialing up through AOL to access the internet, but all of the scolling
> around is driving me nuts! I miss my PocketIE and getting my Hotmaill
> via the PPC inbox (with HTTPMail add-on, of course)!
>
> Please, please help! It's driving me crazy (but obviously not crazy
> enough to break down and spend the damn $20 for a real ISP)! No, but
> seriously, the real reason I don't want to get a real ISP is because
> I'm only going to be there for 2-3 more weeks... Almost doesn't seem
> worth the trouble of setting up an ISP account for 2 weeks!
>
> Thank you!
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 10:03:20 AM

Thanks for the response Ted! I briefly tried your suggestion below,
but believe it or not, right clicking on the AOL entry in network
connections does not bring up a menu like it does for the other
entries, so I can't seem to get into the AOL entry properties!! Can
AOL somehow disable this function of Win2k (I wouldn't think so)??

I have not tried this after logging in as 'administrator' yet. I only
tried it logged into Win2k as myself, but my account does have admin
privlidges...

Any thoughts??

Again, thanks for the reply!

"Ted" <tedbuckley@att.net> wrote in message news:<B9ljc.49775$um3.980030@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
> Try going into control panel. select network connections. right click on the
> AOL account. on the advanced tab; their should be a portion for ICS
> (Internet connection sharing). check the box that reads "Allow other network
> users to connect to the internet throgh this network connection". reboot
> your desktop. provided all your network setup is correct on your PPC; this
> will work.
>
> -Ted
>

> "James Trosky" <jamestrosky@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have temporairly moved due to work. Becuase of this move (3-5
> > weeks), I've lost my broadband ISP connection. So, I've been using
> > AOL dial-up (I know, not a real ISP, but it's free), which does not
> > allow me to acccess the internet via wi-fi on my PocketPC (iPaq 4150).
> > I understand why and I'm ok with it.
> >
> > BUT, I accidently discovered this weekend, that I CAN access the
> > internet on my PPC via my PC's AOL dial-up account by using the
> > ActiveSync pass-thru option, but ONLY if my PocketPC is connected via
> > the USB cradle. I cannot seem to get ActiveSync passthru to work over
> > my wi-fi connection.
> >
> > Does anyone know if this is possible?? I can't understand why it
> > wouldn't be if it works via the USB cradle! By the way, I connect via
> > wi-fi through a Linksys 4 port wireless router.
> >
> > I've been using VNC to access my PC (which is in the attic), then
> > dialing up through AOL to access the internet, but all of the scolling
> > around is driving me nuts! I miss my PocketIE and getting my Hotmaill
> > via the PPC inbox (with HTTPMail add-on, of course)!
> >
> > Please, please help! It's driving me crazy (but obviously not crazy
> > enough to break down and spend the damn $20 for a real ISP)! No, but
> > seriously, the real reason I don't want to get a real ISP is because
> > I'm only going to be there for 2-3 more weeks... Almost doesn't seem
> > worth the trouble of setting up an ISP account for 2 weeks!
> >
> > Thank you!
Related resources
April 28, 2004 6:56:31 PM

You definitely need "Admin Privileges" to make changes to OS

> Thanks for the response Ted! I briefly tried your suggestion below,
> but believe it or not, right clicking on the AOL entry in network
> connections does not bring up a menu like it does for the other
> entries, so I can't seem to get into the AOL entry properties!! Can
> AOL somehow disable this function of Win2k (I wouldn't think so)??
>
> I have not tried this after logging in as 'administrator' yet. I only
> tried it logged into Win2k as myself, but my account does have admin
> privlidges...
>
> Any thoughts??
>
> Again, thanks for the reply!
>
> "Ted" <tedbuckley@att.net> wrote in message
> > Try going into control panel. select network connections. right click on
the
> > AOL account. on the advanced tab; their should be a portion for ICS
> > (Internet connection sharing). check the box that reads "Allow other
network
> > users to connect to the internet throgh this network connection". reboot
> > your desktop. provided all your network setup is correct on your PPC;
this
> > will work.
> >
> > -Ted
> >

> > "James Trosky" <jamestrosky@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I have temporairly moved due to work. Becuase of this move (3-5
> > > weeks), I've lost my broadband ISP connection. So, I've been using
> > > AOL dial-up (I know, not a real ISP, but it's free), which does not
> > > allow me to acccess the internet via wi-fi on my PocketPC (iPaq 4150).
> > > I understand why and I'm ok with it.
> > >
> > > BUT, I accidently discovered this weekend, that I CAN access the
> > > internet on my PPC via my PC's AOL dial-up account by using the
> > > ActiveSync pass-thru option, but ONLY if my PocketPC is connected via
> > > the USB cradle. I cannot seem to get ActiveSync passthru to work over
> > > my wi-fi connection.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know if this is possible?? I can't understand why it
> > > wouldn't be if it works via the USB cradle! By the way, I connect via
> > > wi-fi through a Linksys 4 port wireless router.
> > >
> > > I've been using VNC to access my PC (which is in the attic), then
> > > dialing up through AOL to access the internet, but all of the scolling
> > > around is driving me nuts! I miss my PocketIE and getting my Hotmaill
> > > via the PPC inbox (with HTTPMail add-on, of course)!
> > >
> > > Please, please help! It's driving me crazy (but obviously not crazy
> > > enough to break down and spend the damn $20 for a real ISP)! No, but
> > > seriously, the real reason I don't want to get a real ISP is because
> > > I'm only going to be there for 2-3 more weeks... Almost doesn't seem
> > > worth the trouble of setting up an ISP account for 2 weeks!
> > >
> > > Thank you!
April 29, 2004 5:01:29 PM

In article <a567d5eb.0404260757.77e08a2a@posting.google.com>,
jamestrosky@hotmail.com says...
> I have temporairly moved due to work. Becuase of this move (3-5
> weeks), I've lost my broadband ISP connection. So, I've been using
> AOL dial-up (I know, not a real ISP, but it's free), which does not
> allow me to acccess the internet via wi-fi on my PocketPC (iPaq 4150).
> I understand why and I'm ok with it.
>
> BUT, I accidently discovered this weekend, that I CAN access the
> internet on my PPC via my PC's AOL dial-up account by using the
> ActiveSync pass-thru option, but ONLY if my PocketPC is connected via
> the USB cradle. I cannot seem to get ActiveSync passthru to work over
> my wi-fi connection.
>
> Does anyone know if this is possible?? I can't understand why it
> wouldn't be if it works via the USB cradle! By the way, I connect via
> wi-fi through a Linksys 4 port wireless router.
>
> I've been using VNC to access my PC (which is in the attic), then
> dialing up through AOL to access the internet, but all of the scolling
> around is driving me nuts! I miss my PocketIE and getting my Hotmaill
> via the PPC inbox (with HTTPMail add-on, of course)!
>
> Please, please help! It's driving me crazy (but obviously not crazy
> enough to break down and spend the damn $20 for a real ISP)! No, but
> seriously, the real reason I don't want to get a real ISP is because
> I'm only going to be there for 2-3 more weeks... Almost doesn't seem
> worth the trouble of setting up an ISP account for 2 weeks!
>
> Thank you!

James,

After a manual sync in the cradle remove from cradle start active sync
FROM THE PPC. Wi-fi passthrough works for me using my iPAQ 5550.

Beemer
Anonymous
May 1, 2004 9:56:37 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, Beemer - but no good. Syncing manually in
the cradle first doesn't seem to help at all. I don't give up much,
but at this point I'd have to say it is either a bug in Pocket
Outlook, Active Sync 3.7.1 or WM 2003... I've tried EVERYTHING!!
Pass-thru over wi-fi just doesn't work with the above combination!
Works fine via the cradle and over bluetooth, but not via wi-fi!

One thing I haven't tried is to setup the wi-fi connection as a
peer-to-peer connection (currently via access point). Any thoughts as
to whether that may work?? Anyone else get pass-thru over wi-fi to
work?

Thank you to all who have replied!

Beemer <Beemer@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1afafef41ba3448598968e@news.microsoft.com>...
> In article <a567d5eb.0404260757.77e08a2a@posting.google.com>,
> jamestrosky@hotmail.com says...
> > I have temporairly moved due to work. Becuase of this move (3-5
> > weeks), I've lost my broadband ISP connection. So, I've been using
> > AOL dial-up (I know, not a real ISP, but it's free), which does not
> > allow me to acccess the internet via wi-fi on my PocketPC (iPaq 4150).
> > I understand why and I'm ok with it.
> >
> > BUT, I accidently discovered this weekend, that I CAN access the
> > internet on my PPC via my PC's AOL dial-up account by using the
> > ActiveSync pass-thru option, but ONLY if my PocketPC is connected via
> > the USB cradle. I cannot seem to get ActiveSync passthru to work over
> > my wi-fi connection.
> >
> > Does anyone know if this is possible?? I can't understand why it
> > wouldn't be if it works via the USB cradle! By the way, I connect via
> > wi-fi through a Linksys 4 port wireless router.
> >
> > I've been using VNC to access my PC (which is in the attic), then
> > dialing up through AOL to access the internet, but all of the scolling
> > around is driving me nuts! I miss my PocketIE and getting my Hotmaill
> > via the PPC inbox (with HTTPMail add-on, of course)!
> >
> > Please, please help! It's driving me crazy (but obviously not crazy
> > enough to break down and spend the damn $20 for a real ISP)! No, but
> > seriously, the real reason I don't want to get a real ISP is because
> > I'm only going to be there for 2-3 more weeks... Almost doesn't seem
> > worth the trouble of setting up an ISP account for 2 weeks!
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> James,
>
> After a manual sync in the cradle remove from cradle start active sync
> FROM THE PPC. Wi-fi passthrough works for me using my iPAQ 5550.
>
> Beemer
Anonymous
May 3, 2004 10:35:25 AM

In case anyone cares, here's what I ended up doing to allow my iPaq
4150 to be able to surf the internet via a dial-up connection on my
PC...

After hours and hours spent trying to get ActiveSync pass-thru to work
over wi-fi (WM2003, ActiveSync 3.7.1), I finally gave up and decided
to use ICS to get my iPaq on the net... I tried multiple
'inexpensive' ISPs including AOL, PeoplePC Online and NetZero - could
not get ICS to work with any of these becuase they either don't create
a standard dial-up networking entry or they somehow stop you from
getting at the properties of the dial-up entry (so it's impossible to
enable ICS).

I finally setup AT&T Worldnet on my PC and I was able to enable ICS
without hassle. Once I had ICS enabled, I had to make a few changes
to my wireless router (disabled DHCP, etc). I then removed the
connection settings on my PPC and let it 're-discover' the wi-fi
connection, which gave me an IP from my PC (via ICS) and now it works
great!! I can get to the internet from any application on my PPC (as
long as my dial connection is connected, of course).

Hopefully this can help someone else save countless hours trying to
get this working. I guess the bottom line in - "USE A REAL ISP!!!".

Thanks to all that helped with this one!

!