Wierd Network Problem

Hi i have an adhoc wirelss network between 2 computers used mainly for internet connection sharing. I am using third party internet connection sharing software because the windows version kept losing its settings. On the computer with access to the internet, you can browse the files on the other computer without problem. However on the other computer, access to the others files is random. Sometimes it works, the rest of the time i get the error:

\\Main was not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

You were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the nework. Go to system in control panel to change the computer name and try again.

A duplicate name does not exist on the network! I have tried renaming the computer anyway but the problem comes back.
This error occurs despite the status showing connected and internet browsing on both computers being fine.
And if i dont have permission to use this network resource, why can 5 minutes later it be working fine without any changes/activity on either computer?

Please help

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 06:31:04 -0700, "help5000"

>Hi i have an adhoc wirelss network between 2 computers used mainly for internet connection sharing. I am using third party internet connection sharing software because the windows version kept losing its settings. On the computer with access to the internet, you can browse the files on the other computer without problem. However on the other computer, access to the others files is random. Sometimes it works, the rest of the time i get the error:
>
>\\Main was not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
>
>You were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the nework. Go to system in control panel to change the computer name and try again.
>
>A duplicate name does not exist on the network! I have tried renaming the computer anyway but the problem comes back.
>This error occurs despite the status showing connected and internet browsing on both computers being fine.
>And if i dont have permission to use this network resource, why can 5 minutes later it be working fine without any changes/activity on either computer?

Please provide ipconfig information for each computer.
Start - Run - "cmd". Type "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" into the command
window - Open c:\ipconfig.txt in Notepad, copy and paste into your next post.
Identify operating system (by name and version) with each ipconfig listing.

Cheers,
Chuck

Argh, sorry im having problems with this ipconfig thing, should be simple i know.
Heres the info for the computer without direct access to the internet and the random file access problem:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Main2

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection :

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : SohoNet

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link Air DWL-510 Wireless PCI Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-05-3E-3D-EA

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 02 June 2004 20:21:30

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 03 June 2004 20:21:30

Windows Xp home edition Sp1

However i cant get the ipconfig info for the main pc becasue:
I go start run cmd thats fine, but when i type ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt i get ipconfig is not a recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Whats up with that? It is also Windows Xp home edition Sp1

Thanks

Ok now please try the following.

1. Get ip address of your other computer (main?).
2. Test if you can ping to this address. If yes,
3. Map a drive letter on remote machine, using IP address - not name!
For example: net use X: \\192.168.0.255\your-share
4. Use drive X: instead of UNC path.

--PA

"help5000" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Argh, sorry im having problems with this ipconfig thing, should be simple i know.
> Heres the info for the computer without direct access to the internet and the random file access problem:
> Windows IP Configuration
>

> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Main2
>
> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
>
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed

> Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection :
>

> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : SohoNet
>
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link Air DWL-510 Wireless PCI Adapter
>
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-05-3E-3D-EA
>
> Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
>
> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
>
> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

> Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 02 June 2004 20:21:30
>
> Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 03 June 2004 20:21:30
>
> Windows Xp home edition Sp1
>
> However i cant get the ipconfig info for the main pc becasue:
> I go start run cmd thats fine, but when i type ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt i get ipconfig is not a recognised as an
internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Whats up with that? It is also Windows Xp home edition Sp1

> Thanks

many thanks for both of your help i havenow resolved the problem by accessing the computer via ip address