Spyware

When I open internet explorer there is a tool bar attached to it that I don't
want, I tried to get rid of it but it doesn't go away, I have Symantec
antivirus in my computer and the msn toolbar to block unwanted ads, but the
spyware still went though somehow, how can I get rid of it???
Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about spyware

    what toolbar is that ?
    goto your Start menu - Settings - Control Panel - Add-remove Programs
    and uninstall the toolbar from there.

    --
    Mrinal_sher
    Mrinal_sher's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=1524

    Mrinal_sher wrote:

    > what toolbar is that ?
    > goto your Start menu - Settings - Control Panel - Add-remove Programs
    > and uninstall the toolbar from there.

    Would that it were so easy! BTW, please quote some of the post to which
    you are replying.

    For clarity, here is the OP's post:

    "When I open internet explorer there is a tool bar attached to it that I
    don't want, I tried to get rid of it but it doesn't go away, I have
    Symantec antivirus in my computer and the msn toolbar to block unwanted
    ads, but the spyware still went though somehow, how can I get rid of
    it???"

    To the OP: Here are general malware removal steps. Do everything with
    updated tools in Safe Mode.

    First delete all Temporary and Temporary Internet Files. Then:

    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
    antivirus using updated definitions.

    Before you remove malware, get LSPFix or WinSockFix for XP - see links
    below.

    2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
    install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
    CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

    Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
    to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
    all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

    If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
    scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
    disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See below for
    HijackThis links, including sites where you can post your HJT logs. A
    combination of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the
    About:Blank homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and
    novices should get help with it.

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
    Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
    With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
    System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
    (Run>cleanmgr).

    4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

    5) Run a firewall.

    Links to help with malware:

    Software/Methods:
    http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy