one before and what is the "cure"? TIA.

From: "Roger M" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Recently had machines infected with this virus??? All
| machines are of Dell manufacture on a LAN and are loaded
| with XP-SP1. Syptoms include : cannot open word or excel
| files; cannot edit registry; cannot perform software
| updates of anykind & some websites will not load. Machines
| preloaded with XP-SP2 do not appear to be affected. Thru
| shear desparation, disconnected machines from network and
| did a complete reload of XP from original CDs. Yes HD was
| formatted during reload. Applied the folllowing patches:
| WindowsXP-KB823980-X86-ENU, KB824146-X86-ENU &
| KB835732-X86-ENU. Thought these would protect the new
| install but found out that MSNPG came back almost
| immediately. What did I miss? Has anyone run into this
| one before and what is the "cure"? TIA.

There are anti virus News Groups specifically for this type of discussion.

microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion
microsoft.public.security.virus
alt.comp.virus
alt.comp.anti-virus

What you missed in the installation of anti virus software. If you did you would find that
you would have protected your computers.

You would have also found that the infector using MSNPG.exe has a name. That name would
help you find and remove the infector and prevent re-infection and cross-contamination.

Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)

start --> settings --> control panel --> internet options --> delete files

1) Download the following items...

McAfee Stinger
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

BHOdemon
http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm

Trend Sysclean Package

Latest Trend Pattern File.

Ad-aware SE (free personal version v1.05)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Create a directory.
On drive "C:\"
(e.g., "c:\New Folder")
or the desktop

Download Sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
For example; lpt540.zip

sysclean.com.

2) Update Ad-aware with the latest definitions.
3) Disable System Restore
4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode [F8 key during boot]
and shutdown as many applications as possible.
5) Using Trend Sysclean, Stinger and Ad-aware, perform a Full Scan of your
platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
(a few cycles may be needed)
6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using the three
utilities; Trend Sysclean, Stinger and Adaware
7) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
(e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
8) Reboot your PC.
9) Install, execute and update BHOdemon and then scan the platform and remove
any unkown Browser Helper Objects.
10) Create a new Restore point

* * * Please report your results ! * * *

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

contents in the same directory as
>sysclean.com.
>
>2) Update Ad-aware with the latest definitions.
>3) Disable System Restore

>4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode [F8 key during boot]
> and shutdown as many applications as possible.
>5) Using Trend Sysclean, Stinger and Ad-aware, perform
a Full Scan of your
> platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites
found.
> (a few cycles may be needed)
>6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of
your platform using the three
> utilities; Trend Sysclean, Stinger and Adaware
>7) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System
Restore preferences,
> (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
>8) Reboot your PC.
>9) Install, execute and update BHOdemon and then scan
the platform and remove
> any unkown Browser Helper Objects.
>10) Create a new Restore point
>
>* * * Please report your results ! * * *
>

>--
>Dave
>http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
>

>.
>I appreciate your rapid reply & yes, I forgot to mention
that all did have up to date virus protection loaded and
running. Unfortunately, the virus was not detected. As I
mentioned before, I cannot perform any type of update or
Any more thoughts

From: <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>

| I appreciate your rapid reply & yes, I forgot to mention
| that all did have up to date virus protection loaded and
| running. Unfortunately, the virus was not detected. As I
| mentioned before, I cannot perform any type of update or
| Any more thoughts

OK -- Now did you run Stinger Ad-aware SE and TrenMicro Sysclean per my request ?