Limited User profile editing

I currently have a wireless, where the software that runs it needs ADMIN
rights. Therefore when you boot the PC up as a Limited user the Network
cannot be found. I need the Limited Profile/Policy edited for these accounts
to be able to run this program to repair/find the network, so that i the
administartor dont have to log on to find the network and then switch user
for them to go on especially when you are needed to do it at 8.00 in the
morning I do not want these users to have admin rights because they they
will be able to install programs, and they users are 10 and 13 years old so
they install loads of programs that make the computer crash!

Please Help

Thanks

Jon

Malke

pc_doctor wrote:

> I currently have a wireless, where the software that runs it needs
> ADMIN rights. Therefore when you boot the PC up as a Limited user the
> Network cannot be found. I need the Limited Profile/Policy edited for
> these accounts to be able to run this program to repair/find the
> network, so that i the administartor dont have to log on to find the
> network and then switch user for them to go on especially when you are
> needed to do it at 8.00 in the
> morning I do not want these users to have admin rights because they
> they will be able to install programs, and they users are 10 and 13
> years old so they install loads of programs that make the computer
> crash!

What software are you using? If third-party wireless connectivity
software, check on the mftr.'s website for updates and/or contact their
tech support. You might try disabling this third-party software
(assuming you have it) and just use Windows to manage your wireless
connection.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Im using WG111T adapter software - its something that needs ADMIN rights to
be able to retrieve the Network. Is it possible to edit the registry for
Limited users to be able to access this software because it does not allow it
currently (does not run the program), as this is what i need but to not know
where this information is held.

Jon

pc_doctor wrote:

> Im using WG111T adapter software - its something that needs ADMIN
> rights to be able to retrieve the Network. Is it possible to edit the
> registry for Limited users to be able to access this software because
> it does not allow it currently (does not run the program), as this is
> what i need but to not know where this information is held.

You could try Regmon (free) from Systernals. Here's the link:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/regmon.shtml

You could run it under your account while using the software to find out
what Registry keys it uses. Then you could apply permissions to those
Registry keys. I still think using improperly coded software is not the
best solution and suggest you use Windows wireless manager instead, but
that is of course your choice.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com
In Memoriam - MVP Alex Nichol
The world is diminished without him.

What you suggested worked, after spending 2 hours redoing the registry. At
least now i can put the users to Limited and for them to still retrieve the
network, and using the software that came with it.

Thanks again for your time, it was really helpful!

Jon

pc_doctor wrote:

> What you suggested worked, after spending 2 hours redoing the
> registry. At least now i can put the users to Limited and for them to
> still retrieve the network, and using the software that came with it.
>
> Thanks again for your time, it was really helpful!

You are most welcome. Thanks for taking the time to let me know.

Malke