Private Folders

I had my personal folders on an external hard drive and were marked as
private (using XP Home). Had some problems with my PC and had to format the
internal hard drive and re-install windows. Problem is that windows will
now not allow me to open my protected folder on the external hard drive.
Any ideas how to get round this? (come up with access denied)
2 answers Last reply
More about private folders

    Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "topps_2002" wrote:

    | I had my personal folders on an external hard drive and were marked as
    | private (using XP Home). Had some problems with my PC and had to format the
    | internal hard drive and re-install windows. Problem is that windows will
    | now not allow me to open my protected folder on the external hard drive.
    | Any ideas how to get round this? (come up with access denied)

    Thanks for that - guess I was searching under the wrong thing!! Fixed my
    problem - thanks again

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881
    >
    > How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "topps_2002" wrote:
    >
    > | I had my personal folders on an external hard drive and were marked as
    > | private (using XP Home). Had some problems with my PC and had to format the
    > | internal hard drive and re-install windows. Problem is that windows will
    > | now not allow me to open my protected folder on the external hard drive.
    > | Any ideas how to get round this? (come up with access denied)

Security Microsoft External Hard Drive Windows XP