Sign in with
Your question

Formating drive C (win xp), creating two partitions and installing win 7 32bit a

Last response: in Windows 7
December 7, 2010 6:38:00 PM

Hi there,

I'm a decent user when it comes to design, 3d, animation and web design apps, but regarding things like managing and setting up my OS, I'm rather lame :p 
So my questions are from a noob's point of view and require a "for dummies" response.

I have a Core Dual Quad computer with 8GB or ram, a 1gb video card and two physical drives of 320GB and 1TB.
Currently running on a xp professional x86. Thing is, I'm a lazy bum on regards to re-installing and re-customizing, so when I changed my cpu from the one I had before, I just moved the main C hard drive from on cpu to the other, didn't format or re-install OS, just updated drivers and motherboard BIOS... I know I know, that's a no-no.

It worked, buggy, slow, but it worked.

And it's worked for over a year now.

BUT... with the death of my secondary hard drive, with the computer getting to buggy limits I no longer can stand, and with new versions for all my design softwares (some are two versions newer), it's time for a long overdue overhaul.

So I went from 4 GB of ram (3.25 on lame 32bit XP) to 8GB, and purchased the 1TB drive to put all my files in it so I could format drive C (finally), and install win 7, of which I've hear so many good things.

I'm a gamer, as well as a designer. I know that most games still don't work very well on 64bits (at least that's what I've heard), but 64bits is ideal for my design apps, and specially 3ds Max.

So my plan is:

1- After making sure I've backed all my crap into the 1TB drive, format drive C.
2- Create two partitions in that drive.
3- Create a dual boot system, one for the 32 bit version of win 7 and another for the 64 bit version.
4- Install games under the 32 bit os, and work apps under the 64 bit os

Now, my questions.

Is it true that most games play better or at all only under a 32 bit system? (COD black ops, medal of honor limited edition, fifa 11, Battlefield Bad Company 2 to name a few)

Where can I find a "for dummies" step by step on formating, creating the two partitions and making the dual system boot?

Recommendations?

Am I doing this right?

I just want to make sure I don't go without my computer for more than a couple of days, hopefully less.

Thanks for all your insights, suggestions and help! :) 
a b $ Windows 7
December 8, 2010 2:09:57 AM

Instead of 2 versions of W7, why not make 2 partitions, say 40% for XP and the remainder for W7. That way you can reinstall XP first onto the smaller partition and if you have any old games or programs that are not compatible with W7, you can run on XP.
To make the partitions use your XP disk to run setup custom install and delete the current partition the choose the size of partition you want for XP and leave the remainder unallocated, then continue instalation. Once you have XP setup fully you can boot in with the W7 dvd and install it on the remaining space by again choosing custom install then disk tools to create a partition in the unallocated space.
Make sure to disconect your 1TB backup drive before starting so that you don't accidently delete anything while working with partitions.
W7 will create a dual boot menu for your 32 bit XP and W7.
m
l
December 8, 2010 2:26:46 AM

Jonmor68 said:
Instead of 2 versions of W7, why not make 2 partitions, say 40% for XP and the remainder for W7. That way you can reinstall XP first onto the smaller partition and if you have any old games or programs that are not compatible with W7, you can run on XP.
To make the partitions use your XP disk to run setup custom install and delete the current partition the choose the size of partition you want for XP and leave the remainder unallocated, then continue instalation. Once you have XP setup fully you can boot in with the W7 dvd and install it on the remaining space by again choosing custom install then disk tools to create a partition in the unallocated space.
Make sure to disconect your 1TB backup drive before starting so that you don't accidently delete anything while working with partitions.
W7 will create a dual boot menu for your 32 bit XP and W7.

Thank you for the suggestion! :sol: 

Will I have to pre-format the disk to do this? Or just put the CD in, and once I do that there will be an option to erase everything on the disk and create a partition? How do I boot with the Win 7 disk? Will just having it in the dvd drive be enough? Do I have to make sure in the BIOS the dvd is the boot drive by default?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 8, 2010 3:24:56 AM

Use the custom install Xp will give you option to delete and create partitions. As I said before first delete the current partition then continue, reread my previous post.
"How do I boot with the Win 7 disk?
Same as any other boot disk.
Will just having it in the dvd drive be enough?
Yes
Do I have to make sure in the BIOS the dvd is the boot drive by default?"
Yes
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 8, 2010 10:32:20 AM

otas32 said:
Hi there,

I'm a gamer, as well as a designer. I know that most games still don't work very well on 64bits (at least that's what I've heard), but 64bits is ideal for my design apps, and specially 3ds Max.

Now, my questions.

Is it true that most games play better or at all only under a 32 bit system? (COD black ops, medal of honor limited edition, fifa 11, Battlefield Bad Company 2 to name a few)

Not true. Any and all modern games (and most older ones) will work perfectly in Win 7 64. Unless you have some older software that is incompatible with Windows 7, I see no reason to do a dual-boot setup at all.
m
l
December 8, 2010 11:58:48 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Not true. Any and all modern games (and most older ones) will work perfectly in Win 7 64. Unless you have some older software that is incompatible with Windows 7, I see no reason to do a dual-boot setup at all.

Thank you for your reply :) 

I will look into this then, will save disk space ;) 
m
l
!