  • Software
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 21, 2004 3:33:36 PM

I have been planning for a while to archive my library of Laserdiscs (NTSC
format) and video tapes (both PAL and NTSC format) and, after reading up on
the subject, thought that the AIW 9600 XT would capture from both formats.

However, on hookup of the S-video cable from the Laserdisc player and
selecting the S-video capture option in the viewer software I get no picture
in the viewer. The software that came with the card is MMC 8.8 and has
options for capturing NTSC and NTSC-J, both of which I have tried, but still
no picture. I also tried all the PAL and SECAM options to no avail.
Surely, even with the wrong option selected I should see something in the
viewer even if its only video noise.

The S-video cable is brand new, but could be the source of the problem.
Anyone got any ideas before I buy another cable?

Does this card support both formats or is it the software that does the
work?

TIA

More about : ati aiw 9600

Anonymous
October 21, 2004 3:33:37 PM

Sounds like maybe the laserdisc S-video out is not working?
Can you see video using that out to anything else?
I have the AIW 9600XT and 8.8 MMC worked fine far as remember using
all the latest software now (9.02 I think) and it captures anything I input
to it.

"Graham Hicks" <grayh@hk.super.net> wrote in message
>I have been planning for a while to archive my library of Laserdiscs (NTSC
>format) and video tapes (both PAL and NTSC format) and, after reading up on
>the subject, thought that the AIW 9600 XT would capture from both formats.
>
> However, on hookup of the S-video cable from the Laserdisc player and
> selecting the S-video capture option in the viewer software I get no
> picture in the viewer. The software that came with the card is MMC 8.8
> and has options for capturing NTSC and NTSC-J, both of which I have tried,
> but still no picture. I also tried all the PAL and SECAM options to no
> avail. Surely, even with the wrong option selected I should see something
> in the viewer even if its only video noise.
>
> The S-video cable is brand new, but could be the source of the problem.
> Anyone got any ideas before I buy another cable?
>
> Does this card support both formats or is it the software that does the
> work?
>
> TIA

October 21, 2004 3:33:38 PM

Can you tell me if the Audio and Video stay in Sync during say a 2
hour capture? I'm thinking of getting another capture card but my old
AIW 128 PRO could not get audio and video in sync.

Jim

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:26:45 -0500, "tokinkosh" <tk@home.com> wrote:

>Sounds like maybe the laserdisc S-video out is not working?
>Can you see video using that out to anything else?
>I have the AIW 9600XT and 8.8 MMC worked fine far as remember using
>all the latest software now (9.02 I think) and it captures anything I input
>to it.
>

>"Graham Hicks" <grayh@hk.super.net> wrote in message
>>I have been planning for a while to archive my library of Laserdiscs (NTSC
>>format) and video tapes (both PAL and NTSC format) and, after reading up on
>>the subject, thought that the AIW 9600 XT would capture from both formats.
>>
>> However, on hookup of the S-video cable from the Laserdisc player and
>> selecting the S-video capture option in the viewer software I get no
>> picture in the viewer. The software that came with the card is MMC 8.8
>> and has options for capturing NTSC and NTSC-J, both of which I have tried,
>> but still no picture. I also tried all the PAL and SECAM options to no
>> avail. Surely, even with the wrong option selected I should see something
>> in the viewer even if its only video noise.
>>
>> The S-video cable is brand new, but could be the source of the problem.
>> Anyone got any ideas before I buy another cable?
>>
>> Does this card support both formats or is it the software that does the
>> work?
>>
>> TIA

October 23, 2004 1:32:55 PM

Yes the audio and video do stay in sync for 2 hours no problem ;-)
goto http://www.inhabitense.com/videosamples.htm if you wanna
check out some captures from my analogue Sony Camcorder.
These are songs ripped from 1-2 hour shows, I reencoded with
Windows Media Encoder 9 to get down to around 20 megs each.

"Jim" <wdxp@cox.net> wrote in message
news:o 52fn0hs2chihuelumvckgtv11icog0uap@4ax.com...
> Can you tell me if the Audio and Video stay in Sync during say a 2
> hour capture? I'm thinking of getting another capture card but my old
> AIW 128 PRO could not get audio and video in sync.
>
> Jim
>

> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:26:45 -0500, "tokinkosh" <tk@home.com> wrote:
>
>>Sounds like maybe the laserdisc S-video out is not working?
>>Can you see video using that out to anything else?
>>I have the AIW 9600XT and 8.8 MMC worked fine far as remember using
>>all the latest software now (9.02 I think) and it captures anything I
>>input
>>to it.
>>

>>"Graham Hicks" <grayh@hk.super.net> wrote in message
>>>I have been planning for a while to archive my library of Laserdiscs
>>>(NTSC
>>>format) and video tapes (both PAL and NTSC format) and, after reading up
>>>on
>>>the subject, thought that the AIW 9600 XT would capture from both
>>>formats.
>>>
>>> However, on hookup of the S-video cable from the Laserdisc player and
>>> selecting the S-video capture option in the viewer software I get no
>>> picture in the viewer. The software that came with the card is MMC 8.8
>>> and has options for capturing NTSC and NTSC-J, both of which I have
>>> tried,
>>> but still no picture. I also tried all the PAL and SECAM options to no
>>> avail. Surely, even with the wrong option selected I should see
>>> something
>>> in the viewer even if its only video noise.
>>>
>>> The S-video cable is brand new, but could be the source of the problem.
>>> Anyone got any ideas before I buy another cable?
>>>
>>> Does this card support both formats or is it the software that does the
>>> work?
>>>
>>> TIA

October 25, 2004 1:13:47 AM

Could you tell me which audio card you are using? My old ATI AIW card
has an audio output plug that you plug into the input of the sound
card, and the ATI Multimedia uses the sound card to record the audio
using the sound card. If the clock of the sound card is not exactly
on frequency the sound/video will drift further and further apart. I
tried several sound cards, including sound blaster which ATI PCCHECK
said was right on, but the audio still drifted off.

Does your X]9600 XT have this audio output that plugs into the Line In
of your sound card?

I bought an OSPREY 200 capture card and the audio and video are locked
together, as the capture card has input for both video and sound, and
they are locked, just like with DV. However, it has no tuner built
in, making it necessary to use external equipment to supply the
signal, and is nowhere near as convenient as the AIW card.

If yours works, perhaps I could get the same sound card you are using?

THanks,

Jim

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 09:32:55 -0500, "tokinkosh" <tk@home.com> wrote:

>Yes the audio and video do stay in sync for 2 hours no problem ;-)
>goto http://www.inhabitense.com/videosamples.htm if you wanna
>check out some captures from my analogue Sony Camcorder.
>These are songs ripped from 1-2 hour shows, I reencoded with
>Windows Media Encoder 9 to get down to around 20 megs each.
>

>"Jim" <wdxp@cox.net> wrote in message
>news:o 52fn0hs2chihuelumvckgtv11icog0uap@4ax.com...
>> Can you tell me if the Audio and Video stay in Sync during say a 2
>> hour capture? I'm thinking of getting another capture card but my old
>> AIW 128 PRO could not get audio and video in sync.
>>
>> Jim
>>

>> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:26:45 -0500, "tokinkosh" <tk@home.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Sounds like maybe the laserdisc S-video out is not working?
>>>Can you see video using that out to anything else?
>>>I have the AIW 9600XT and 8.8 MMC worked fine far as remember using
>>>all the latest software now (9.02 I think) and it captures anything I
>>>input
>>>to it.
>>>

>>>"Graham Hicks" <grayh@hk.super.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
October 25, 2004 2:47:54 PM

First to Jim:

I haven't had time to try this yet - I've only just found why I was getting
no video into the card - see below. Synching may turn out to be a problem
as my sound card is perhaps a little out of the ordinary, its an Echo Gina
24 in a breakout box directly connected from my A/V receiver and not through
the ATI video card, great sound, but I'm not sure how well it will sync on
capture. It does appear to sync when playing a DVD from the computer, but
I've only had time to try this on one DVD so far.

To the previous poster in this thread, sorry not to respond earlier, I've
been sort of tied up in a mess of A/V cables:

The laserdisc S-video was working as I was able to play to the TV.

I hadn't mentioned that I was outputting from the laserdisc player into my
NAD A/V receiver which outputs to the TV from the monitor out connection and
also to a separate VCR out connection (part of a VCR loop on the video 3
switch) which I had connected to the ATI card and which failed to give me
any video on the computer monitor. The problem came about because I had
input from the laserdisc player into the receiver on this video 3
connection. It turns out that there is no output from video 3 when there is
input to video 3 at the same time - as part of a tape loop why would it?
Should have thought of that earlier! The NAD receiver only has 3 of its A/V
5 inputs capable of accepting digital sound and S-video, so I was a little
short of inputs.

I have now swapped the laserdisc player and the DVD player so the laserdisc
inputs to video 2 and the DVD to video 3 - problem solved! I have no need
to record from the DVD player as I could record using the DVD player in the
computer, but I don't think I need to record any DVDs anyway.

I upgraded from MMC 8.8 to 9.0.2 only to find that this caused the mouse to
stop working for a day, why it started working again the following day is
beyond me. But as its no longer broke, I ain't gonna try to fix it.

Next question is - can you play a DVD from the computer and get output to
both the monitor and the TV? I can only get one or the other.

Thanks

"Jim" <wdxp@cox.net> wrote in message
news:o 52fn0hs2chihuelumvckgtv11icog0uap@4ax.com...
> Can you tell me if the Audio and Video stay in Sync during say a 2
> hour capture? I'm thinking of getting another capture card but my old
> AIW 128 PRO could not get audio and video in sync.
>
> Jim
>

> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:26:45 -0500, "tokinkosh" <tk@home.com> wrote:
>
>>Sounds like maybe the laserdisc S-video out is not working?
>>Can you see video using that out to anything else?
>>I have the AIW 9600XT and 8.8 MMC worked fine far as remember using
>>all the latest software now (9.02 I think) and it captures anything I
>>input
>>to it.

Anonymous
October 25, 2004 2:49:34 PM

First to Jim:

I haven't had time to try this yet - I've only just found why I was getting
no video into the card - see below. Synching may turn out to be a problem
as my sound card is perhaps a little out of the ordinary, its an Echo Gina
24 in a breakout box directly connected from my A/V receiver and not through
the ATI video card, great sound, but I'm not sure how well it will sync on
capture. It does appear to sync when playing a DVD from the computer, but
I've only had time to try this on one DVD so far.

To the previous poster in this thread, sorry not to respond earlier, I've
been sort of tied up in a mess of A/V cables:

The laserdisc S-video was working as I was able to play to the TV.

I hadn't mentioned that I was outputting from the laserdisc player into my
NAD A/V receiver which outputs to the TV from the monitor out connection and
also to a separate VCR out connection (part of a VCR loop on the video 3
switch) which I had connected to the ATI card and which failed to give me
any video on the computer monitor. The problem came about because I had
input from the laserdisc player into the receiver on this video 3
connection. It turns out that there is no output from video 3 when there is
input to video 3 at the same time - as part of a tape loop why would it?
Should have thought of that earlier! The NAD receiver only has 3 of its A/V
5 inputs capable of accepting digital sound and S-video, so I was a little
short of inputs.

I have now swapped the laserdisc player and the DVD player so the laserdisc
inputs to video 2 and the DVD to video 3 - problem solved! I have no need
to record from the DVD player as I could record using the DVD player in the
computer, but I don't think I need to record any DVDs anyway.

I upgraded from MMC 8.8 to 9.0.2 only to find that this caused the mouse to
stop working for a day, why it started working again the following day is
beyond me. But as its no longer broke, I ain't gonna try to fix it.

Next question is - can you play a DVD from the computer and get output to
both the monitor and the TV? I can only get one or the other.

Thanks

"Jim" <wdxp@cox.net> wrote in message
news:o 52fn0hs2chihuelumvckgtv11icog0uap@4ax.com...
> Can you tell me if the Audio and Video stay in Sync during say a 2
> hour capture? I'm thinking of getting another capture card but my old
> AIW 128 PRO could not get audio and video in sync.
>
> Jim
>

> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:26:45 -0500, "tokinkosh" <tk@home.com> wrote:
>
>>Sounds like maybe the laserdisc S-video out is not working?
>>Can you see video using that out to anything else?
>>I have the AIW 9600XT and 8.8 MMC worked fine far as remember using
>>all the latest software now (9.02 I think) and it captures anything I
>>input
>>to it.
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 11:49:47 PM

I'm using a Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS, the only thing that bothers me with it
is it locks the audio level on record which has to then be adjusted with the
Creative mixer
(while recording) but if it's capturing when I'm not around I end up
splitting
the audio and normalizing in Soundforge. Any channels that are Dolby are
especially low
signal level I have to normalize all those captures :-(

> Could you tell me which audio card you are using? My old ATI AIW card
> has an audio output plug that you plug into the input of the sound
> card, and the ATI Multimedia uses the sound card to record the audio
> using the sound card. If the clock of the sound card is not exactly
> on frequency the sound/video will drift further and further apart. I
> tried several sound cards, including sound blaster which ATI PCCHECK
> said was right on, but the audio still drifted off.
>
> Does your X]9600 XT have this audio output that plugs into the Line In
> of your sound card?
>
> I bought an OSPREY 200 capture card and the audio and video are locked
> together, as the capture card has input for both video and sound, and
> they are locked, just like with DV. However, it has no tuner built
> in, making it necessary to use external equipment to supply the
> signal, and is nowhere near as convenient as the AIW card.
>
> If yours works, perhaps I could get the same sound card you are using?
>
> THanks,
>
> Jim
>

> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 09:32:55 -0500, "tokinkosh" <tk@home.com> wrote:
>
>>Yes the audio and video do stay in sync for 2 hours no problem ;-)
>>goto http://www.inhabitense.com/videosamples.htm if you wanna
>>check out some captures from my analogue Sony Camcorder.
>>These are songs ripped from 1-2 hour shows, I reencoded with
>>Windows Media Encoder 9 to get down to around 20 megs each.
>>

>>"Jim" <wdxp@cox.net> wrote in message
>>news:o 52fn0hs2chihuelumvckgtv11icog0uap@4ax.com...
>>> Can you tell me if the Audio and Video stay in Sync during say a 2
>>> hour capture? I'm thinking of getting another capture card but my old
>>> AIW 128 PRO could not get audio and video in sync.
>>>
>>> Jim

Anonymous
October 25, 2004 11:52:31 PM

Yes you can output to 2 devices at a time, I run the vga to my monitor
and the yellow video jack to a tv. goto your display settings and
goto the displays tab there is where you can activate the other video out.

!