Microsoft Files Wireless Resource Sharing Patent

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
This specific document focuses on wireless connections, but we have doubt that this claim will be unique enough to grant Microsoft to the rights to the universal form of enabling centralized screen and resource sharing.
I seriously doubt this. A few terms to add a little vagueness and the patent will be theirs.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]This is really the height of it.... MS seems to be following in the footsteps of Apple.....[/citation]

with one little difference tho, ms does it to avoid lawsuits, apple does it to sue others

mihaimm

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
with one little difference tho, ms does it to avoid lawsuits, apple does it to sue others
Right... like Microsoft vs TomTom, Microsoft vs Barnes & Noble (over the Nook), Microsoft vs TiVo, Microsoft vs Motorola, and so on, and so on...

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation][nom]casperstouch[/nom]Pretty sure that I already do this using VNC.[/citation]
I think MS's own LiveMeeting also does this too (to a limited extent - whiteboard)

G

Nonsense. I do not see docs on diagrams. But I can see on desktop session shared in multiple devices. I am trying to understand what does it mean. Window 8 allows to login using live id, right? That is true web os!!!

I had to read the article twice and think about the examples before it really sunk in.

Since it is a wireless sytem is there a maximum distance from the main unit that is transmitting data or does everyone need Internet or a corporate intranet access?

G

alyoshka: Microsoft sues or threatens to sue handset makers into paying "licensing fees" because the Linux kernel allegedly violates 200 unspecified patents.

Of course, they've never tried to coerce licensing fees out of Red Hat for 20 years of selling Linux, and they haven't tried to sue the Linux Foundation, despite GNU begging them for a court fight, so that the patents could be publicly revealed and invalidated.

Microsoft is on it's way to becoming the next Rambus, licensing trivial "innovations" and suing everybody that won't cut them out a piece of their pie. Also like Rambus, they've given up trying to make an actual product that people want to buy, and who could blame them after so many failures.

Microsoft will be sitting on piles of cash with this patent, but it won't be able to collect much of it I fear.

@Rambo_Rambus get off your high horse. Linux violating Microsoft patents is a well-known fact.

mihaimm

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Linux violating Microsoft patents is a well-known fact.[/citation]

No, it's a well know claim. That was NEVER proven in court, in theory or otherwise. M$ has multiple targets for this claim (like RedHat, IBM, Canonical) yet they chose a dying company (SCO) to fight the battle in their place (and, as a result, they hit the final nail for SCO).

On another note, you can thank Linux for something really nice. All major Linux distributions and most minor have a "Method or apparatus for obtaining software and software updates directly from the operating system installed on the device, without the use of a browser. The method includes means of searching for software, reading reviews from other users and providing feedback on the software". I wonder... where would Android / Windows Mobile be if Apple was able to claim such a patent when it created the App Store?

That's why software patents are bad, evil and must be stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.