cannot open a database concurently on several computers

I've created a database that can be used by several different users at the
same time. On the workstations that I have setup the database can be opened
by several different users at the same time. But for the users whose
workstations I have no control over; the database can only be opened by one
user at a time.

When the first user tries to open the database a dialogue box comes up
asking if they are sure they want to open the database. But when the second
user tries to open the database, nothing happens. The event log doesn't even
show anything. Access doesn't even launch.

I am sure it is a security problem. What I am wondering is if there is a
registry setting I can change to skip the security check at the beginning
when the user tries to open the database. I have already set the macro
security level to low in access.

All the workstations are running windows xp and office 2003
I can even replicate the problem with one of my servers as well

For example
If I logon to the server and workstation as the same user and open the
database on the workstation first I cannot open the file on the server.
But if I open the database on the server first I can still open the file on
the workstation. The only difference I can see between the two computers is
that on the server when I try to open the database a dialogue box comes up
asking if I am sure I want to open it.
1 answer Last reply
More about cannot open database concurently computers

    If you're using Access, go to tools, options, advanced and be sure that
    default open mode is checked as shared. I'm using Access from 97 thru 2003 on
    Windows server 2003 and that hasn't happened to me. By default open is set to
    shared. Hope this helps.

    "Rick Patsula" wrote:

    > I've created a database that can be used by several different users at the
    > same time. On the workstations that I have setup the database can be opened
    > by several different users at the same time. But for the users whose
    > workstations I have no control over; the database can only be opened by one
    > user at a time.
    >
    > When the first user tries to open the database a dialogue box comes up
    > asking if they are sure they want to open the database. But when the second
    > user tries to open the database, nothing happens. The event log doesn't even
    > show anything. Access doesn't even launch.
    >
    > I am sure it is a security problem. What I am wondering is if there is a
    > registry setting I can change to skip the security check at the beginning
    > when the user tries to open the database. I have already set the macro
    > security level to low in access.
    >
    > All the workstations are running windows xp and office 2003
    > I can even replicate the problem with one of my servers as well
    >
    > For example
    > If I logon to the server and workstation as the same user and open the
    > database on the workstation first I cannot open the file on the server.
    > But if I open the database on the server first I can still open the file on
    > the workstation. The only difference I can see between the two computers is
    > that on the server when I try to open the database a dialogue box comes up
    > asking if I am sure I want to open it.

Security Workstations Database Windows XP