Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Access this computer from the network problem

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
April 7, 2005 3:08:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I am working with a Windows XP Pro SP2 workgroup computer that a 2nd
computer needs to access files on. So, I go to Control Panel ->
Administrative Tools -> Local Security Settings -> Local Policies -> User
Rights Assignment and add Everyone to the "Access this computer from the
network" Policy. This works perfectly. For a while. It stops working
immediately when I reboot. Then my file sharing stops working. If I go back
to this Security Policy, it is blank for some reason. I can reset it to
Everyone and it works again for a while or until reboot. Then I have to set
it back to Everyone again. What in the world has happened to my security
settings? I don't even mind setting this policy every time I need it if
there is just an easier way like a batch file or a script or a program I can
use. I just hate having to go back through all the steps every time I want
to share files. Any help would be appreciated.
April 8, 2005 1:43:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

1) The folder should be added to Shared Resources
in Administrative Tools\Computer Management\Shared
Folders\Shared Resources. This can also be done in
the Folder Properties\Sharing\Share this folder\Permissions.
See this settings is complemented in the Security Tab.

2) In Admin Tools\Services and Apps.\Services\
check that the "Server" service is running and set to
autostart.

3) This never fails: go to the C:\drive properties\Sharing\
New Shared Resource\type the folder path and set the
allowed users.

Just in case you need some more info....
How to configure file sharing in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040


------------Original Message-------------
"Josh" <jajunk@cableone.net> escribió en el mensaje
news:e1ZRLv4OFHA.1884@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> I am working with a Windows XP Pro SP2 workgroup computer that a 2nd
> computer needs to access files on. So, I go to Control Panel ->
> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Settings -> Local Policies -> User
> Rights Assignment and add Everyone to the "Access this computer from the
> network" Policy. This works perfectly. For a while. It stops working
> immediately when I reboot. Then my file sharing stops working. If I go
back
> to this Security Policy, it is blank for some reason. I can reset it to
> Everyone and it works again for a while or until reboot. Then I have to
set
> it back to Everyone again. What in the world has happened to my security
> settings? I don't even mind setting this policy every time I need it if
> there is just an easier way like a batch file or a script or a program I
can
> use. I just hate having to go back through all the steps every time I want
> to share files. Any help would be appreciated.
>
>
April 8, 2005 6:56:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Thanks Juan for that information. I double checked all of those settings and
they all match what you wrote in your message. I did find something that at
least works in a batch file: ntrights.exe from the resource kit. I can put:

ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Everyone

Any idea why I have to run this after every restart?

"Juan" <soyquiensoy@terra.com> wrote in message
news:uz3VeW$OFHA.244@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> 1) The folder should be added to Shared Resources
> in Administrative Tools\Computer Management\Shared
> Folders\Shared Resources. This can also be done in
> the Folder Properties\Sharing\Share this folder\Permissions.
> See this settings is complemented in the Security Tab.
>
> 2) In Admin Tools\Services and Apps.\Services\
> check that the "Server" service is running and set to
> autostart.
>
> 3) This never fails: go to the C:\drive properties\Sharing\
> New Shared Resource\type the folder path and set the
> allowed users.
>
> Just in case you need some more info....
> How to configure file sharing in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040
>
>
> ------------Original Message-------------
> "Josh" <jajunk@cableone.net> escribió en el mensaje
> news:e1ZRLv4OFHA.1884@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> I am working with a Windows XP Pro SP2 workgroup computer that a 2nd
>> computer needs to access files on. So, I go to Control Panel ->
>> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Settings -> Local Policies -> User
>> Rights Assignment and add Everyone to the "Access this computer from the
>> network" Policy. This works perfectly. For a while. It stops working
>> immediately when I reboot. Then my file sharing stops working. If I go
> back
>> to this Security Policy, it is blank for some reason. I can reset it to
>> Everyone and it works again for a while or until reboot. Then I have to
> set
>> it back to Everyone again. What in the world has happened to my security
>> settings? I don't even mind setting this policy every time I need it if
>> there is just an easier way like a batch file or a script or a program I
> can
>> use. I just hate having to go back through all the steps every time I
>> want
>> to share files. Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>
>
>
Related resources
April 8, 2005 6:56:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

By what the batch file reads, it's probably creating temporary access
to the Everyone group which means there's a security/permissions
issue preventing normal access. Following are a few links to check
your permission security settings.
Also check Services in Administration Tools and tweak with those
services related to communications in a local network, it could be a
necessary service is disabled which would cause the symptoms you
describe.

How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and
folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419

At times it's easyer and faster to access another computer by means
of a Short Cut, here is how to do it.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308416

These are a few services that come to mind which could
prevent a normal connection from being established.
many services are dependant on other ones, so you'll
have to check all those related to communications in the
Dependance tab and find if they should be running in your
particular setup.

Server
Telnet
Terminal Server Service
Network Connections
Computer Browser Service (not present on all installations)
If the Firewall (ICF) Service is enabled on the host computer
it could be blocking access, but again it may not.

hope this helps.

---------Original Message----------
"Josh" <jajunk@cableone.net> escribió en el mensaje
news:enJhVTHPFHA.2144@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Thanks Juan for that information. I double checked all of those settings
and
> they all match what you wrote in your message. I did find something that
at
> least works in a batch file: ntrights.exe from the resource kit. I can
put:
>
> ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Everyone
>
> Any idea why I have to run this after every restart?
>
> "Juan" <soyquiensoy@terra.com> wrote in message
> news:uz3VeW$OFHA.244@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > 1) The folder should be added to Shared Resources
> > in Administrative Tools\Computer Management\Shared
> > Folders\Shared Resources. This can also be done in
> > the Folder Properties\Sharing\Share this folder\Permissions.
> > See this settings is complemented in the Security Tab.
> >
> > 2) In Admin Tools\Services and Apps.\Services\
> > check that the "Server" service is running and set to
> > autostart.
> >
> > 3) This never fails: go to the C:\drive properties\Sharing\
> > New Shared Resource\type the folder path and set the
> > allowed users.
> >
> > Just in case you need some more info....
> > How to configure file sharing in Windows XP
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040
> >
> >
> > ------------Original Message-------------
> > "Josh" <jajunk@cableone.net> escribió en el mensaje
> > news:e1ZRLv4OFHA.1884@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> >> I am working with a Windows XP Pro SP2 workgroup computer that a 2nd
> >> computer needs to access files on. So, I go to Control Panel ->
> >> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Settings -> Local Policies ->
User
> >> Rights Assignment and add Everyone to the "Access this computer from
the
> >> network" Policy. This works perfectly. For a while. It stops working
> >> immediately when I reboot. Then my file sharing stops working. If I go
> > back
> >> to this Security Policy, it is blank for some reason. I can reset it to
> >> Everyone and it works again for a while or until reboot. Then I have to
> > set
> >> it back to Everyone again. What in the world has happened to my
security
> >> settings? I don't even mind setting this policy every time I need it if
> >> there is just an easier way like a batch file or a script or a program
I
> > can
> >> use. I just hate having to go back through all the steps every time I
> >> want
> >> to share files. Any help would be appreciated.
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
>
October 9, 2009 3:21:26 PM

Hello Josh!

I am sandra,

and now i have the same problem with many of my computers

i just want to ask you the solution if you get it.

my email adress is emery_sandra4@yahoo.fr

Thank's for your help.
!