Total Security?

I have:-
Mail Washer Pro
AVG Antivirus Pro
Zone Alarm Firewall
Ad-aware 1.05Plus
What else should I install to have a 100% protection.
You have been very helpful in the past, but when you make a recommendation
please remember to tell us where to get the programme. Thank you.

For 100% protection, unplug your computer, and put it in a bank vault...and
even then things can go wrong.

You'll NEVER have 100% protection ever.

That being said, I'd look at using the Microsoft Anti-spyware beta.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

"annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" <annonymous@fsnet.cvo.uk> wrote in
message news:Oj810qAPFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>I have:-
> Mail Washer Pro
> AVG Antivirus Pro
> Zone Alarm Firewall
> Ad-aware 1.05Plus
> What else should I install to have a 100% protection.
> You have been very helpful in the past, but when you make a recommendation
> please remember to tell us where to get the programme. Thank you.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:Oj810qAPFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <annonymous@fsnet.cvo.uk> had this to
say:

> I have:-
> Mail Washer Pro
> AVG Antivirus Pro
> Zone Alarm Firewall
> Ad-aware 1.05Plus
> What else should I install to have a 100% protection.
> You have been very helpful in the past, but when you make a
> recommendation please remember to tell us where to get the programme.
> Thank you.

As has been mentioned you'll never be secure. I can't stress this enough but
security is a process not an application. It's not a suite of applictions.
It's an awareness and an attention to detail as well as remaining alert for
suspicious activity. I'd recommend a separate anti-trojan with that.
Specific recommendations for software I don't do because then you might
expect me to support the software. I, however, use TrojanHunter which isn't
free but from the looks of your list you're not bothered by paying for
quality software.

Mischel Internet Security - Home of TrojanHunterT - The original ...:
http://www.trojanhunter.com/

Some other options?

http://security.kolla.de/ - Spybot
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx -
Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta

Trojan:
www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ - a Squared
http://swatit.org/ Swat It

All of those are free, I gave you the link to the MAS application that Matt
mentioned.

Galen

testy

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 08:15:05 +0100, annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com
wrote:

> I have:-
> Mail Washer Pro
> AVG Antivirus Pro
> Zone Alarm Firewall
> Ad-aware 1.05Plus
> What else should I install to have a 100% protection. You have been very
> helpful in the past, but when you make a recommendation please remember
> to tell us where to get the programme. Thank you.

The closest you can get to total security would be ti install Linux.

Testy

I would dump the AVG...it has gotten some bad press lately for not
performing as well as previous versions. I would also dump ZoneAlarm; at
one point it was also a fine product, but it also has not been regarded very
highly lately.

I would add Spybot Search and Destroy.

Use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer.

Norton Internet Security 2005 for as close to complete protection as you can
get.

Bobby

Bobby

In news:pan.2005.04.08.09.33.38.73@canoemail.com,
Testy <fraudbuster@canoemail.com> had this to say:

> The closest you can get to total security would be ti install Linux.
>
> Testy

Take a peek here:

http://www.securityinnovation.com/resources/linux_windows.shtml

<quote>The results of the research show that both Linux-based deployments
contained more total security vulnerabilities and more "days of risk"- the
amount of time elapsed between public disclosure of a vulnerability and the
issuance of a potential fix by a vendor-per vulnerability. The report also
includes a separate, step-by-step description of the repeatable methodology,
so that others can duplicated and validate the results.</quote>

Security hasn't much at all to do with the operating system, it's more apt
to be influenced by the person controlling it.

Galen

"Testy" <fraudbuster@canoemail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 08:15:05 +0100, annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com
> wrote:
>
>> I have:-
>> Mail Washer Pro
>> AVG Antivirus Pro
>> Zone Alarm Firewall
>> Ad-aware 1.05Plus
>> What else should I install to have a 100% protection. You have been very
>> helpful in the past, but when you make a recommendation please remember
>> to tell us where to get the programme. Thank you.
>
> The closest you can get to total security would be ti install Linux.
>
> Testy

Actually, OS selection has little or nothing to do with security. Linux and
Unix based systems are as easily compromised as any windows based system.
Linux and Unix and the myriad variants are no more secure than Windows.

If you really thing that just having Linux on your machine makes you safe,
you have a very broad definition of "safe".

Bobby

Testy <fraudbuster@canoemail.com> wrote in news:pan.2005.04.08.09.33.38.73
@canoemail.com:

> On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 08:15:05 +0100, annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com
> wrote:
>
>> I have:-
>> Mail Washer Pro
>> AVG Antivirus Pro
>> Zone Alarm Firewall
>> Ad-aware 1.05Plus
>> What else should I install to have a 100% protection. You have been very
>> helpful in the past, but when you make a recommendation please remember
>> to tell us where to get the programme. Thank you.
>
> The closest you can get to total security would be ti install Linux.

Yeah right...check all the security bulletins here for Linux/Unix in the
last week:

http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/bulletins/SB05-096.html

Security is a process not a piece of software or hardware.

"Robert Moir" <robspamtrap+msnews@gmail.com> wrote in

> annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
>> I have:-
>> Mail Washer Pro
>> AVG Antivirus Pro
>> Zone Alarm Firewall
>> Ad-aware 1.05Plus
>> What else should I install to have a 100% protection.
>
> Still not "100%" but you need to install "safe computing" in your brain
> software.
>
> All the seatbelts and airbags in the world still don't make it 100% safe
> to crash your car and the same applies to computer security. You can't
> find 100% security in a software package, or even (as some idiots claim)
> a whole new OS such as Linux. Software tools can help you, but you find
> security in understanding the consequences of your actions and taking
> responsibility for them.

ding ding ding...we have a winner!

Regardless of the software/hardware you use there will be risks. All the
protection in the world cannot protect people from their own
stupidity/ignorance. If you understand the threats and their attack vectors
you are much more likely able to avoid with them. Don't visit questionable
sites (warez, porn, tinyurl, makeashortlink), don't download 'free' software
that may contain spyware/malware, don't open unsolicited attachments (or web
links), protect your email address as you would any other personal
information.

Hi NoNoBadDog,
Please be more specific. What protection software (all of them please) would
you have on your computer?
Thanks.

"Fuzzy Logic" wrote:

> Don't visit questionable sites (warez, porn, tinyurl, makeashortlink), don't
> download 'free' software that may contain spyware/malware, don't open
> unsolicited attachments (or web links), protect your email address as you
> would any other personal information.

Tinyurl is a questionable site? Since when? I pretty much agree 100% with
everything else you wrote.

Ken

Fritz

Distinguished
May 13, 2003

Norton Internet Security is the worst out of all the products you mentioned.

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
>I would dump the AVG...it has gotten some bad press lately for not
>performing as well as previous versions. I would also dump ZoneAlarm; at
>one point it was also a fine product, but it also has not been regarded
>very highly lately.
>
> I would add Spybot Search and Destroy.
>
> Use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer.
>
> Norton Internet Security 2005 for as close to complete protection as you
> can get.
>
> Bobby
>

> Bobby
>
> "annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" <annonymous@fsnet.cvo.uk> wrote in
> message news:Oj810qAPFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>I have:-
>> Mail Washer Pro
>> AVG Antivirus Pro
>> Zone Alarm Firewall
>> Ad-aware 1.05Plus
>> What else should I install to have a 100% protection.
>> You have been very helpful in the past, but when you make a
>> recommendation please remember to tell us where to get the programme.
>> Thank you.

"annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

> Hi NoNoBadDog,
> Please be more specific. What protection software (all of them please) would
> you have on your computer?
> Thanks.

I'm not NoNoBadDog, but my current setup is SP2 (fully up to date and with
default settings), EZ Antivirus, Microsoft Antispyware, and the Windows
firewall. That's it. I agree with the posters who advise you to stay away
from Symantec or Norton, although not because these products are insecure.
If you don't like CA (maker of EZ Antivirus), I would rank Trend Micro a very
close second.

I totally agree with the posters who say that security is a process, and by
far the most important part of that process is a strategy of avoidance rather
than after-the-fact detection and repair after some POS has already
compromised your machine. Your best protection is education -- know what
security threats are and what you the user can do to prevent them from
compromising your machine. Virtually all crudware lands on a machine because
the user deliberately puts it there, almost always without understanding how
or why. There is simply no better protection for your machine than the gray
matter between your ears.

Ken

"Robert Moir" wrote:

> > Tinyurl is a questionable site? Since when? I pretty much agree
> > 100% with everything else you wrote.

> Well I can't speak for "fuzzy logic" but I can tell you that I don't
> consider TinyURL and the like to be questionable in and of themselves, but
> when you first click on that link you have no way of knowing if the site you
> will ultimately taken to is questionable or not.

Good point. I thought he was referring to the site itself.

Ken

"=?Utf-8?B?S2VuIEdhcmRuZXI=?=" <KenGardner@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in news:A5AB5B4B-7253-4106-89AF-BE8D70F4A845@microsoft.com:

> "Fuzzy Logic" wrote:
>
>> Don't visit questionable sites (warez, porn, tinyurl, makeashortlink),
>> don't download 'free' software that may contain spyware/malware, don't
>> open unsolicited attachments (or web links), protect your email address
>> as you would any other personal information.
>
> Tinyurl is a questionable site? Since when? I pretty much agree 100%
> with everything else you wrote.

Tinyurl and Makeashortlink are great for making short links but they also
obscure the true target. This means there is the potential to visit a very
nasty site and not knowing before it's too late. They are not questionable
sites in themselves but I would be extremely cautious in clicking on any of
their links.

wrote in news:8AFEC8F2-6B09-4E57-B0E1-556539471E27@microsoft.com:

> "annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:
>
>> Hi NoNoBadDog,
>> Please be more specific. What protection software (all of them please)
>> would you have on your computer?
>> Thanks.
>
> I'm not NoNoBadDog, but my current setup is SP2 (fully up to date and
> with default settings), EZ Antivirus, Microsoft Antispyware, and the
> Windows firewall. That's it. I agree with the posters who advise you
> to stay away from Symantec or Norton, although not because these
> products are insecure. If you don't like CA (maker of EZ Antivirus), I
> would rank Trend Micro a very close second.
>
> I totally agree with the posters who say that security is a process, and
> by far the most important part of that process is a strategy of
> avoidance rather than after-the-fact detection and repair after some POS
> has already compromised your machine. Your best protection is education
> -- know what security threats are and what you the user can do to
> prevent them from compromising your machine. Virtually all crudware
> lands on a machine because the user deliberately puts it there, almost
> always without understanding how or why. There is simply no better
> protection for your machine than the gray matter between your ears.

As anecdotal evidence I run Windows 98SE with no file sharing or other
services. I also don't run a firewall (not required as there are no open
ports in Windows 98 by default) or real time anti-virus detection. I am on
an ADSL connection and have been running this way for many years. I have
never gotten spyware, a virus or trojan. I do run weekly scans for viruses
and spyware but to date I have not had a single incident. I use Avant for a
web browser, Eudora for a mail client and Xnews for NNTP. I regularly check
for updates for ALL software I run on my computer and simply practice safe
Internet techniques.

"Matt Gibson" wrote:

> For 100% protection, unplug your computer, and put it in a bank vault...and
> even then things can go wrong.
>
> You'll NEVER have 100% protection ever.
>
> That being said, I'd look at using the Microsoft Anti-spyware beta.
>
> Matt Gibson - GSEC
>
> "annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" <annonymous@fsnet.cvo.uk> wrote in
> message news:Oj810qAPFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> >I have:-
> > Mail Washer Pro
> > AVG Antivirus Pro
> > Zone Alarm Firewall
> > Ad-aware 1.05Plus
> > What else should I install to have a 100% protection.
> > You have been very helpful in the past, but when you make a recommendation
> > please remember to tell us where to get the programme. Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS