Remote Desktop, WinXP SP2 Secruity Center, and Symantec An..

Hi,
I am not sure if this is the best group for this post, but if you can help I
would appreciate it.

Computer:
WinXP SP2 with Remote Desktop Connection Enabled and Symantec AntiVirus
9.0.2.1000.

Problem:
When I log in to the computer remotely through Remote Desktop Connection the
Symantec AntiVirus does not automatically start "Auto-Protect". How ever
the Microsoft Security Center says that it is up and running. I tested this
with the "eicar.com" test file and Symantec failed to stop it. I understand
that this is mostly a Symantec problem but it also relates to the
effectiveness of the Microsoft Security Center.

Side Notes:
Also just as a note if I log into the computer locally and then connect
through Remote Desktop Connection the system works fine and Auto-Protect
also works.

Thanks for any help,
Ryan
1 answer Last reply
More about remote desktop winxp secruity center symantec

    Ryan wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I am not sure if this is the best group for this post, but if you can
    > help I would appreciate it.
    >
    > Computer:
    > WinXP SP2 with Remote Desktop Connection Enabled and Symantec
    > AntiVirus 9.0.2.1000.
    >
    > Problem:
    > When I log in to the computer remotely through Remote Desktop
    > Connection the
    > Symantec AntiVirus does not automatically start "Auto-Protect". How
    > ever
    > the Microsoft Security Center says that it is up and running. I
    > tested this
    > with the "eicar.com" test file and Symantec failed to stop it. I
    > understand that this is mostly a Symantec problem but it also relates
    > to the effectiveness of the Microsoft Security Center.
    >
    > Side Notes:
    > Also just as a note if I log into the computer locally and then
    > connect through Remote Desktop Connection the system works fine and
    > Auto-Protect also works.

    As you said, this is a Symantec issue. The SP2 Security Center doesn't
    do any sort of protection. It basically is just an alert system to let
    you know when updates are available, if your av is outdated, and if the
    firewall is running. So the Security Center knows you have NAV
    installed and that its definitions are current - that's all.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

Remote Desktop Connection Symantec Security Microsoft Windows XP