Unwise as ever.

I asked a simple question for a recommendation of software to increase the
security of my PC (for those interested vide Total Security? posing on
08/04/05 -08.15hrs) and the response although very generous, left me as
unwise as I was before I made the posting.
Is there an organisation/body which could make a recommendation having had
an opportunity to assess the quality of all the available protection
software? I for one would like an independent view on this subject. Thank
you.
3 answers Last reply
More about unwise ever

    Here's some tips I publish in my own Forum:

    The three things that anyone must have installed in their PC are Spyware
    scanners, Virus scanners and a reliable Firewall. There is a fourth one,
    but not quite so important - a good spam filtering tool. You cannot hope to
    have a reliable, functional computer without these. Whilst there are
    excellent ones that you can buy, there are also free ones out there. If you
    think that you don't need such things then you either need your head
    examining, or as "7 of 9" would say, "You will be assimilated", but not by
    the Borg, something much worse. Are you aware that an infection can enter
    your machine in just a few seconds if you don't have a firewall, without you
    even going on to the internet if you are using an "always on" connection?

    Spyware Cleaners

    Adaware SE
    http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/
    From the same site (right hand side) I recommend you also download the
    following plug-ins:
    VX2 Cleaner (for VX2 Variants)
    Messenger Control
    OE-W Messengerctrl
    (The latter control Windows Messenger)

    Spybot Search and Destroy
    http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

    SpywareBlaster
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

    CWShredder
    http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html

    Anti-Virus

    Stinger Removal Tool
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    Trojan Remover
    This is an excellent product and is available for a 30-day fully functional
    free trial.
    http://www.simplysup.com/tremover/download.html

    Avast

    AVG
    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

    PC World's Choices
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/collection/0,collid,1259,pg,1,00.asp

    Firewalls

    ZoneAlarm
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp

    PC World's Choices
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/browse/0,cat,1446,sortIdx,1,pg,1,00.asp

    Now that you've cleaned all the crud out of your machine. Clear out your
    TIF (Temporary Internet Files) and do a defrag. periodically, and it would
    be good idea to go to Windows Update and download all those updates that
    you've been ignoring forever. They are, after all, there to improve your
    computing experience and to make things safer all around.

    Note to XP Users: After April 12, if you haven't already got it, SP2 will
    no longer be a "download later on" option, WU will keep offering it, whether
    you like it or not, you really should have it!!. XP "Gold" will no longer
    be supported by MSFT. If you don't even have SP1, SP2 includes all updates
    from day 1. There have been several updates since SP2, so once you have it
    installed set Windows Update to automatic.

    Lastly, a word of advice. Do NOT post email addresses in newsgroups. You
    are asking for spam by doing so! There are nasty things called spambots out
    there that harvest anything with an "@" in it. If you must post an email
    address disguise it (the technical word is "munge") by showing it as (for
    example) soandso AT blahblah DOT com.

    --
    Peter
    Toronto, Canada
    >I asked a simple question for a recommendation of software to increase the
    >security of my PC (for those interested vide Total Security? posing on
    >08/04/05 -08.15hrs) and the response although very generous, left me as
    >unwise as I was before I made the posting.
    > Is there an organisation/body which could make a recommendation having had
    > an opportunity to assess the quality of all the available protection
    > software? I for one would like an independent view on this subject. Thank
    > you.

    ...and personally..I pay for the complete McAfee Privacy Service/Firewall
    Plus/Viruscan package in addition to most of those above.
    However I only run one firewall.

    --
    "Peter" <r2d2 AT cesmail DOT net (adjust accordingly)> wrote in message
> [...]
    > (for example) soandso AT blahblah DOT com.
    >
    > --
    > Peter
    > Toronto, Canada
    > XP Home SP2
    > P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 1.0gb RAM, 160gb HD
    > "annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" <annonymous@fsnet.cvo.uk> wrote in
    > message news:OtkIuUNPFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >>I asked a simple question for a recommendation of software to increase the
    >>security of my PC (for those interested vide Total Security? posing on
    >>08/04/05 -08.15hrs) and the response although very generous, left me as
    >>unwise as I was before I made the posting.
    >> Is there an organisation/body which could make a recommendation having
    >> had an opportunity to assess the quality of all the available protection
    >> software? I for one would like an independent view on this subject. Thank

    You can't get any more "independent" than the opinions you read here. There
    are thousands of individuals who will gladly give you their view point and
    recommendations. There is no "one place" where you are going to find reviews
    of everything! You find what you can, read what you can and make a decision.
    It sounds like you are having a problem with the last!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" <annonymous@fsnet.cvo.uk> wrote in
    message news:OtkIuUNPFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >I asked a simple question for a recommendation of software to increase the
    >security of my PC (for those interested vide Total Security? posing on
    >08/04/05 -08.15hrs) and the response although very generous, left me as
    >unwise as I was before I made the posting.
    > Is there an organisation/body which could make a recommendation having had
    > an opportunity to assess the quality of all the available protection
    > software? I for one would like an independent view on this subject. Thank
    > you.

Security Microsoft Software Windows XP