.dll problem

I installed an activeX control at a website and it wrote iasad.dll. This
fill acts like spyware creating icons, changing my home page, and stops every
search engine from working properly. It is a dll file so I am not allowed to
delete it. I was wondering how do I remove this from my computer or
quarintine it so that it will no long affect my pc. Any help would be
appreciated.
Don Gladfelter
1 answer Last reply
More about problem

    gladbagz wrote:

    > I installed an activeX control at a website and it wrote iasad.dll.
    > This fill acts like spyware creating icons, changing my home page, and
    > stops every
    > search engine from working properly. It is a dll file so I am not
    > allowed to
    > delete it. I was wondering how do I remove this from my computer or
    > quarintine it so that it will no long affect my pc. Any help would be
    > appreciated.
    > Don Gladfelter

    You invited spyware into your machine and now you need to get rid of it.
    Here are general malware removal steps. It is crucial that you do
    everything with updated tools in Safe Mode. The reason you cannot
    delete the .dll file is because it is in use. That is why you need to
    remove malware in Safe Mode, when the programs are not running.

    First delete all Temporary and Temporary Internet Files. Then:

    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
    antivirus using updated definitions.

    Before you remove malware, get LSPFix or WinSockFix for XP - see links
    below.

    2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
    install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
    CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

    Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
    to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
    all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

    If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
    scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
    disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See below for
    HijackThis links, including sites where you can post your HJT logs. A
    combination of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the
    About:Blank homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and
    novices should get help with it.

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
    Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
    With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
    System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
    (Run>cleanmgr).

    4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

    5) Run a firewall.

    Links to help with malware:

    Software/Methods:
    http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy