  • CD-Rom
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
January 19, 2005 12:18:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

poll: how many pc games do you own? (NO steam based)

if you like to buy a game in its physical medium version being it cd/dvd
if you like to collect the games you buy
if you like to appreciate a good packaging, with a solid case, appealing
cover, informative manual, useful quick reference card and fancy print
out cd/dvd, please answer this poll!

How many PC Games do you own?

only count the following:
.. only pc games
.. any games regardless genre
.. for any "os" version of dos and any "os" version of windows
.. games in physical medium like floppy/cd-rom/dvd-rom
.. any type of boxes, being it the modern dvd type or the old big ones

don't count:
.. steam based ones cause they have no collectable value at all
.. electronic distribution based games cause they also don't have value
as collectable items
.. any retail version with online activation required to install and play
cause they also don't have any collectable value
.. any illegal copies being it pirate or counterfeiting ones

ps: please when answering the poll don't include any quotes and only your
own text

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

More about : poll games

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 12:18:01 PM

difool wrote:

> poll: how many pc games do you own? (NO steam based)

Posts like this is why you have no credibility and hurting your cause.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 12:18:01 PM

difool wrote:
> poll: how many pc games do you own? (NO steam based)
>
> if you like to buy a game in its physical medium version being it cd/dvd
> if you like to collect the games you buy
> if you like to appreciate a good packaging, with a solid case, appealing
> cover, informative manual, useful quick reference card and fancy print
> out cd/dvd, please answer this poll!
>
> How many PC Games do you own?
>
> only count the following:
> . only pc games
> . any games regardless genre
> . for any "os" version of dos and any "os" version of windows
> . games in physical medium like floppy/cd-rom/dvd-rom
> . any type of boxes, being it the modern dvd type or the old big ones
>
> don't count:
> . steam based ones cause they have no collectable value at all
> . electronic distribution based games cause they also don't have value
> as collectable items
> . any retail version with online activation required to install and play
> cause they also don't have any collectable value
> . any illegal copies being it pirate or counterfeiting ones
>
> ps: please when answering the poll don't include any quotes and only your
> own text
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam
>
> please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html

-way too many. It's likely somewhere over a hundred -probably..

--
best regards, mat
np: [winamp not running]

www.pdxshows.net
January 19, 2005 12:18:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> poll: how many pc games do you own? (NO steam based)

total: 49
floppy: 18
cd-rom: 31
dvd-rom: 0

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 19, 2005 2:05:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:18:00 +0000, difool
<john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

>don't count:
>. steam based ones cause they have no collectable value at all

Worrying about the "collectibility" of your computer games is stupid.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 2:05:36 PM

David Johnston wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:18:00 +0000, difool
> <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:
>

>>don't count:
>>. steam based ones cause they have no collectable value at all
>

> Worrying about the "collectibility" of your computer games is stupid.

But they put out collectors editions...they are worth more...aren't
they? ;-)
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 5:33:31 PM

difool <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in

> poll: how many pc games do you own? (NO steam based)

Well over a thousand, literally. Mostly floppies. Mostly 5.25in. I even
have some on 8 amd 10 inch floppies, cassette tape, reel-to-reel tape, and
punch cards. (hey you knew I was old!)

Of the CD variety it looks like I have a few hundred. I dont think I have
any DVD ones which meet your criteria.

Gandalf Parker
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 5:33:32 PM

"Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message
> Well over a thousand, literally. Mostly floppies. Mostly 5.25in. I even
> have some on 8 amd 10 inch floppies, cassette tape, reel-to-reel tape, and
> punch cards. (hey you knew I was old!)

You've still got punch cards!

You give me hope. There are worse pack-rats in the world than me. Thanks.

dfs
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 5:40:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

my game purchases have plummeted after getting involved with mmorpgs.

in the long run, i saved money

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
> poll: how many pc games do you own? (NO steam based)
>
> if you like to buy a game in its physical medium version being it cd/dvd
> if you like to collect the games you buy
> if you like to appreciate a good packaging, with a solid case, appealing
> cover, informative manual, useful quick reference card and fancy print
> out cd/dvd, please answer this poll!
>
> How many PC Games do you own?
>
> only count the following:
> . only pc games
> . any games regardless genre
> . for any "os" version of dos and any "os" version of windows
> . games in physical medium like floppy/cd-rom/dvd-rom
> . any type of boxes, being it the modern dvd type or the old big ones
>
> don't count:
> . steam based ones cause they have no collectable value at all
> . electronic distribution based games cause they also don't have value
> as collectable items
> . any retail version with online activation required to install and play
> cause they also don't have any collectable value
> . any illegal copies being it pirate or counterfeiting ones
>
> ps: please when answering the poll don't include any quotes and only your
> own text
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam
>
> please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 6:18:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

200-300. Most of them I no longer play. I've got about 12 years worth,
basicly. Maybe time to just get rid of alot of them?

It's getting to the point, I'll look at a new game and think "Is this
really worth the shelf space?" So I'm very selective now days on what games
I'll buy.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 6:25:42 PM

difool wrote:
> poll: how many pc games do you own? (NO steam based)
>
> if you like to buy a game in its physical medium version being it cd/dvd
> if you like to collect the games you buy
> if you like to appreciate a good packaging, with a solid case, appealing
> cover, informative manual, useful quick reference card and fancy print
> out cd/dvd, please answer this poll!
>
> How many PC Games do you own?
>
> only count the following:
> . only pc games
> . any games regardless genre
> . for any "os" version of dos and any "os" version of windows
> . games in physical medium like floppy/cd-rom/dvd-rom
> . any type of boxes, being it the modern dvd type or the old big ones
>
> don't count:
> . steam based ones cause they have no collectable value at all
> . electronic distribution based games cause they also don't have value
> as collectable items
> . any retail version with online activation required to install and play
> cause they also don't have any collectable value
> . any illegal copies being it pirate or counterfeiting ones
>
> ps: please when answering the poll don't include any quotes and only your
> own text
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam
>
> please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
I own a "Shitload"...note that it is capitalized...A Shitload is not the
same as a shitload per se....But I do own a Shitload, if I were to count
all the games I have sittin' around!

Philski
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 8:27:49 PM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:18:00 +0000, difool
<john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

>poll: how many pc games do you own? (NO steam based)
21 downstairs, about half of which of which I regularly play and a
minimum of another 27 up in the loft that I don't play anymore.

I have had probably another 50 at one time or another that I have
played and sold on.

3 of those (that I can remember) are DVD - Wing Commander
somethingorother, Half Life 2 & Deus Ex 2
1 floppy game - Supremacy

Biggest Game install: probably Half Life 2 ~5gig

Smallest Game install: Curse of Monkey Island: ~2mb

Most played game: Quake 2, both online and offline

Least played game: System Shock 2 - never even installed

Cheapest game: The 3 Stooges, Archipelagoes 2000 - both 50p

Most Expensive game: Quake 3 - £34.99

Game that I most regret not playing more: System Shock 2 & Deus Ex 2

--
ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!

"David Short" <David.no.Short@Wright.spam.Edu.please> wrote in

> "Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message
>> Well over a thousand, literally. Mostly floppies. Mostly 5.25in. I
>> even have some on 8 amd 10 inch floppies, cassette tape, reel-to-reel
>> tape, and punch cards. (hey you knew I was old!)
>
> You've still got punch cards!

Yes. an early rogue, and a star trek that used to play out on big printers
before there were monitors or PCs.

> You give me hope. There are worse pack-rats in the world than me.
> Thanks.

heehee. Yes they are "time capsuled". Sealed away in the depths of the
Garage Dungeon waiting to be rediscovered at some future date (probably at
my death if we dont ever move :)

Gandalf Parker
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 8:43:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message
> "David Short" <David.no.Short@Wright.spam.Edu.please> wrote in
> > "Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message
> >> Well over a thousand, literally. Mostly floppies. Mostly 5.25in. I
> >> even have some on 8 amd 10 inch floppies, cassette tape, reel-to-reel
> >> tape, and punch cards. (hey you knew I was old!)
> >
> > You've still got punch cards!
>
> Yes. an early rogue, and a star trek that used to play out on big printers
> before there were monitors or PCs.

I remember playing and modifying punch card trek.
That was a while ago.

dfs
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 9:49:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
> poll: how many pc games do you own? (NO steam based)
>
> if you like to buy a game in its physical medium version being it cd/dvd
> if you like to collect the games you buy
> if you like to appreciate a good packaging, with a solid case, appealing
> cover, informative manual, useful quick reference card and fancy print
> out cd/dvd, please answer this poll!
>
> How many PC Games do you own?
>
> only count the following:
> . only pc games
> . any games regardless genre
> . for any "os" version of dos and any "os" version of windows
> . games in physical medium like floppy/cd-rom/dvd-rom
> . any type of boxes, being it the modern dvd type or the old big ones
>
> don't count:
> . steam based ones cause they have no collectable value at all
> . electronic distribution based games cause they also don't have value
> as collectable items
> . any retail version with online activation required to install and play
> cause they also don't have any collectable value
> . any illegal copies being it pirate or counterfeiting ones
>
> ps: please when answering the poll don't include any quotes and only your
> own text
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam
>
> please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html

Well, according to gamespot.com, where I believe I logged all my games in my
account, it shows 127 total games with a value of $4732.73. And I know a few
years ago I sold game "kits" with probably at least several dozen games in
each genre (i.e. action, strategy, simulation, etc) on eBay, and took in
over $750. That was amazing. I love eBay. But I hate to think I probably
spent over $2500 on those games. But they're not an investment for cash. An
investment for entertainment.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 10:26:49 PM

In article <379su055je0f9c35im15mj8vmqaojl7gue@4ax.com>,
john.difool@mail.telepac.pt says...

>poll: how many pc games do you own? (NO steam based)

>How many PC Games do you own?

738 games, but only two of the original boxes. One I just bought, the other is
an autographed SimCity 2000 box.

http://users.erols.com/kennrice
Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of LEGO bricks
http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 12:22:52 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

I collect bird droppings instead. Wonderfully satisying hobby.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 12:35:25 AM

John A. wrote:
> And the truth of the matter is, that if you can provide the complete
> package, manual, media, etc., then there is likely someone, somewhere
> that will pay good money for it.
> John

Yup. Metroid 2 for gameboy, just the cartridge, goes for $12 on eBay.
I kept the box, the manual, the nintendo power flyers, everything. Sold
the 14 year old game for $100.

If you happen to have an unopened copy of Zelda for NES, it goes for $500 on
eBay.
January 20, 2005 1:05:44 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Reg LeCrisp" wrote
> my game purchases have plummeted after getting involved with mmorpgs.
> in the long run, i saved money

I've never played one - but I am intrigued.

I'd appreciate knowing which one (in your opinion) is the best - ignoring
price.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 1:38:02 AM

> "David Short" <David.no.Short@Wright.spam.Edu.please> wrote in
>
> > "Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message
> >> Well over a thousand, literally. Mostly floppies. Mostly 5.25in. I
> >> even have some on 8 amd 10 inch floppies, cassette tape, reel-to-reel
> >> tape, and punch cards. (hey you knew I was old!)
> >
> > You've still got punch cards!
>
> Yes. an early rogue, and a star trek that used to play out on big printers
> before there were monitors or PCs.
>
> > You give me hope. There are worse pack-rats in the world than me.
> > Thanks.
>
> heehee. Yes they are "time capsuled". Sealed away in the depths of the
> Garage Dungeon waiting to be rediscovered at some future date (probably at
> my death if we dont ever move :)
>
> Gandalf Parker

Let me guess. I bet you have the Main Frame Golf game on punch cards as
well. Played that one and the trek version but never saw rogue until I used
an IBM XT.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 2:47:44 AM

difool wrote:

> poll: how many pc games do you own?

None. I have purchased the right to play over three dozen titles on my
shelf (PC and Mac ... and some old Amiga games) but the EULA for each
clearly specifies that *I* do not own any of the games, I am merely
entitled to use the software.

Is this a real poll or a test of people's ability to read the EULA
documents they "sign" by using the software enclosed?

- Sheldon
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 2:47:45 AM

Sheldon England wrote:

> Is this a real poll or a test of people's ability to read the EULA
> documents they "sign" by using the software enclosed?

No, it's a thinly vailed attack on Steam.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 3:45:07 AM

"Squat" <Squat@yeahright.com> wrote in

> "Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message
>> "David Short" <David.no.Short@Wright.spam.Edu.please> wrote in
>>
>> > "Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in
>> > message
>> >
>> > You've still got punch cards!
>>
>> Yes. an early rogue, and a star trek that used to play out on big
>> printers before there were monitors or PCs.
>>
>> > You give me hope. There are worse pack-rats in the world than me.
>> > Thanks.
>>
>> heehee. Yes they are "time capsuled". Sealed away in the depths of
>> the Garage Dungeon waiting to be rediscovered at some future date
>> (probably at my death if we dont ever move :)
>
> Let me guess. I bet you have the Main Frame Golf game on punch cards
> as well. Played that one and the trek version but never saw rogue
> until I used an IBM XT.

Truthfully I dont remember. I doubt that I have that one. I remember it
but it wasnt the type of game I would have kept a copy of.

Gandalf Parker
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 4:15:44 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:37:49 -0700, "Hank the Rapper"
<xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>Sheldon England wrote:
>
>> Is this a real poll or a test of people's ability to read the EULA
>> documents they "sign" by using the software enclosed?
>
>No, it's a thinly vailed attack on Steam.

Your paranoia is showing...... you need to consult your shrink
again. Haven't you been warned already not to play HL2.

John Lewis

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 4:15:45 AM

John Lewis wrote:

> Your paranoia is showing...... you need to consult your shrink
> again. Haven't you been warned already not to play HL2.

If it was anybody but difool who started this thread, you might have a
point. Though I'm sure your post was still tongue-in-cheek. I've moved on
from HL2 anyway. I'm playing Knights of the Old Republic 2. It isn't as good
as the first. That isn't to say it's horrible. It's just more of the same.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 5:41:34 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

difool <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:
> poll: how many pc games do you own? (NO steam based)
> total: 49
> floppy: 18
> cd-rom: 31
> dvd-rom: 0

floppy: 0
cd-rom: 0
cdr: 1,131
dvd-rom: 0
total: 1,131
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 5:55:51 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

difool <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> typed as if devouring a plate of
spoo:
> poll: how many pc games do you own? (NO steam based)

Total: 51 (all on CD)

There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 5:56:49 AM

Luke Curtis <mfll78@dsl.pipex.com> typed as if devouring a plate of
spoo:

> Most played game: Quake 2, both online and offline

Same here ;)

There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 7:27:17 AM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:18:00 +0000, difool
<john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

>poll: how many pc games do you own?

All my floppy games are on CD. Years ago I imaged all my floppy-disk
games and archived 'em to CD-R to protect myself against floppy rot
(for some games that wasn't soon enough; for example, although I
salvaged the gameplay of Populous 2, the files for the introductory
movie were lost). I still have the floppy disks SOMEWHERE but I have
no doubt the the data thereon is irretrievable (moreso as the only
5.25" drive I still own has been sitting disconnected in the closet
for nearly a decade).

I've never actually sat down and counted my games; I don't think I
ever will. It's just too depressing; I'd have to come to grips with
how pathetic it all is ;-)

I did post an (incomplete) list of the FPS games I owned the other
month; those alone numbered several hundred. It's quite possible that
were I to include games from other genres, the number'd top a
thousand. But I'd rather not think about that.

On the other hand, I still PLAY those games. Thanks largely to DOSBox,
I'm again able to enjoy all those old classics I've been so long
deprived of. I mentioned Populous 2 above because it's the most recent
return to my hard-drive, but other games I've recently finished
include WC: Privateer, Gabriel Knight 1, and Colonization.

Alas, I had to get rid of the gameboxes after the first hundred or so
(I rather like the boxes). I still have all my manuals, though (I
like manuals even more than boxes :)

DVD games are easy; I have three. I wish I had more. Will 2005 finally
be the year of the DVD for PC games? Please?
January 20, 2005 10:26:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:03:56 +0000, difool
<john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> dared speak in front of ME:

>On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Sheldon England wrote:
>
>don't you have anything useful to do except trying to put down the
>contribution others do to this group?

Call back after you've actually contributed, moron.

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On 20 Jan 2005, Zank Frappa wrote:

> floppy: 0
> cd-rom: 0
> cdr: 1,131
> dvd-rom: 0
> total: 1,131

go away pirate! you don't belong here!
its cause of trash like you that we have to deal with things like steam!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 20, 2005 1:00:39 PM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, "Nonymous" wrote:

> Seriously. I wish they came in jewel cases like CDs or console games, with
> no box whatsoever. All that glossy cardboard, artwork, foldout cover, etc.
> costs money and just adds to the price of the game (or at least gives the
> publisher an *excuse* to add to the price of the game).

pc games are no longer sold in those big cardboard boxes, but instead
exclusively in the small dvd case used in dvd movies
i prefer much better this dvd cases rather than the old big boxes
but unlike you i much prefer pc games in dvd cases rather than the jewel
cd cases used in cd music or in the original playstation games cause they
are too small and too fragile, while dvd cases are just the right size and
are roughed and strong

when it comes to packaging, pc games reached perfection
the dvd case is perfect cause its small but even so can include a manual
quick reference card and the cds or dvds, and all very well conditioned
so please publishers don't change pc game packaging cause its perfect

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 20, 2005 1:01:21 PM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, James Garvin wrote:

> But they put out collectors editions...they are worth more...aren't
> they? ;-)

all collectors editions are great except one... hl2 collectors edition
its a complete worthless piece of plastic and paper all put together

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 20, 2005 1:01:33 PM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Gandalf Parker wrote:

> Well over a thousand, literally. Mostly floppies. Mostly 5.25in. I even
> have some on 8 amd 10 inch floppies, cassette tape, reel-to-reel tape, and
> punch cards. (hey you knew I was old!)
>
> Of the CD variety it looks like I have a few hundred. I dont think I have
> any DVD ones which meet your criteria.
>
> Gandalf Parker

you don't have a collection, you have a complete MUSEUM!
congratulations!
wouldn't mind be your neighbour so i could get at look at them

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 20, 2005 1:01:45 PM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Vader des Vaderlands wrote:

> -way too many. It's likely somewhere over a hundred -probably..

it would seem you would be the kind of person with a catalog list of them
but i guess you have more important things to do :)

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 20, 2005 1:01:50 PM

"Luke Curtis" <mfll78@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:18:00 +0000, difool
> <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:
> somethingorother, Half Life 2 & Deus Ex 2
> 1 floppy game - Supremacy

Supremacy was cool :) )
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 1:02:51 PM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, "Magnulus" wrote:

> With console games it's different. There's a big trade-in market for
> console games, so I'm more willing to take a risk with them. With a PC
> game, once you get it and play it, and figure out you don't like the game,
> the game is next to worthless.

why does it happen? the consoles being better in the big trade-in market?
is it cause there is more console players?
is it cause console games sell much more than pc titles?
is it cause consoles are overall much more popular than pcs?
is it cause of the rent market not existing in pc games?
obviously its not cause of game quality, both console and pc has quality
titles
so why do you think an old pc title is worthless in the trade-in market
and the exact same title to consoles is not?

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 20, 2005 1:02:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:02:51 +0000, difool
<john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> dared speak in front of ME:

>On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, "Magnulus" wrote:
>
>> With console games it's different. There's a big trade-in market for
>> console games, so I'm more willing to take a risk with them. With a PC
>> game, once you get it and play it, and figure out you don't like the game,
>> the game is next to worthless.
>
>why does it happen? the consoles being better in the big trade-in market?

Returning a PC game has always had a large risk of implied piracy:
the retailer runs a risk that he's trying to satisfy a customer who's
only trying to steal from him by copying the game before returning it.

Consoles haven't - cartridges are a lot harder to copy - so there's
traditionally been less risk of enabling a thief by allowing console
game returns. With the console shift to CDRom and DVD media, that may
change.

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from
gafgirl1@2allstream3.net
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 1:02:59 PM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> All my floppy games are on CD. Years ago I imaged all my floppy-disk
> games and archived 'em to CD-R to protect myself against floppy rot

extremely wise move!

> I've never actually sat down and counted my games; I don't think I
> ever will. It's just too depressing; I'd have to come to grips with

having many games is a motive of pride
video games is the number one hobby in the world
and now video games are adult oriented entertainment and no longer
child-play

> I did post an (incomplete) list of the FPS games I owned the other
> month; those alone numbered several hundred. It's quite possible that

i now remember the thread! and your list was extremely impressive
so you already have some sort of list... obviously a full catalog
database would be better but it would take time which you probably
don't have

> were I to include games from other genres, the number'd top a
> thousand. But I'd rather not think about that.

the higher the number the greater the gamer
obviously the more years you have been playing pc games the more games
you own, cause it takes time to create a big collection

> On the other hand, I still PLAY those games. Thanks largely to DOSBox,
> I'm again able to enjoy all those old classics I've been so long

that's great!
and it only shows if a game is really good it will never be outdated
and it will win the test of time

> Alas, I had to get rid of the gameboxes after the first hundred or so
> (I rather like the boxes). I still have all my manuals, though (I
> like manuals even more than boxes :)

you only needed to do it for those old big cardboard boxes cause the
now standard dvd cases are small and ideal to keep cd/dvd
i like everything from the package and i never throw anything away
although i have to admit my collection is small so i don't have the
space problem

> DVD games are easy; I have three. I wish I had more. Will 2005 finally
> be the year of the DVD for PC games? Please?

i don't mind having to install a pc game with 4 or more cds, but i only
ask publishers to include in the package a case which will store all cds
properly without being loose using the plastic or paper sleeves

my fear about dvd has only to do with the manufacturing quality
cause dvd are made of two layers of plastic glued up together and there
has been reports of dvds which with time the layers started to loosen up
and it makes the dvd faulty
because cds are only one layer they don't have this problem
if this is true i prefer pc games in cd

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 20, 2005 1:03:05 PM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, John Lewis wrote:

> Your paranoia is showing...... you need to consult your shrink
> again. Haven't you been warned already not to play HL2.

i have real reason to criticise valve, cause they made a game which
i'm not able to buy, play and use
they, the steam lovers bunch don't have any reason at all to flame
at me unless they work for valve or they simply don't have anything
else to do except pick someone to be their enemy in this group

ps: notice you didn't contribute to the poll, so i guess you prefer
not to disclose the number which i'm sure its pretty high, probably
above the 500 mark

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 20, 2005 1:03:43 PM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Ken Rice wrote:

> 738 games, but only two of the original boxes. One I just bought, the other is
> an autographed SimCity 2000 box.

now with the small dvd type cases i keep everything
its like a small book and it fits perfectly in a shelve
but i understand you having alot its really a problem having space
for all of them
i will never reach the number you have, but it would break my heart
having to throw away anything from a game, its really not something
i could ever do

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 20, 2005 1:04:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, "Hank the Rapper" wrote:

i don't own this group, i'm just another poster like you and everyone else
but i guess you want to boycott any thread i start only cause i criticise
valve which i have plenty of reasons to
but you could still answer the poll, or you don't want it just cause i
mention not including your precious hl2 dvd copy you own and that really
offended you and master valve?

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 20, 2005 1:04:21 PM

difool wrote:

> i don't own this group, i'm just another poster like you and everyone
> else but i guess you want to boycott any thread i start only cause i
> criticise valve which i have plenty of reasons to
> but you could still answer the poll, or you don't want it just cause i
> mention not including your precious hl2 dvd copy you own and that
> really offended you and master valve?

Why are you like this? Your main purpose is making me type.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 1:04:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, "Hank the Rapper" wrote:

you know as much as i do, steam electronic distribution games don't have
any collectable value at all cause they simply don't exist, they are just
electronic files on a computers hard-disc and those you can't collect!

you know as much as i do, if steam electronic distribution of games will
become standard, collecting pc games will be a thing of the past

you know as much as i do, you cannot "trade", "sell in the 2nd hand market"
any steam based electronic distribution games, so that's why it makes it
worthless as a collectable item

you know as much as i do, you only collect things which you can touch,
you can hold, you can feel, which are REAL! and all of those you can't
do with steam electronic distribution games!

you only deny everything mr hank cause you gratuitously pick me as your
public enemy and the one to shoot down in this group

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 20, 2005 1:04:27 PM

difool wrote:

> you know as much as i do, steam electronic distribution games don't
> have any collectable value at all cause they simply don't exist, they
> are just electronic files on a computers hard-disc and those you
> can't collect!

You're goofy. I have many games since 1992. I can't play most of them
because they won't run on XP. Many have found the dumpster because of it. I
am not a game collector (hey that reminds me
of an episode of The Simpsons where Comic Book Guy plays "The Collector" in
a Halloween episode. I imagine you looking like the CBG). I don't sell PC
games.
January 20, 2005 1:33:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

difool proclaimed...

> all collectors editions are great except one... hl2 collectors edition
> its a complete worthless piece of plastic and paper all put together

Aren't you a little embarrassed by the fact everyone in here thinks
you're a fake plastic troll who is making himself look silly?

Don't answer that because...

*plonk*

--
AGHL Newsgroup, IRC FAQ & other: aghl-stuff.tk
Homepage: stri.tk

"My Lord, whatever I done, don't strike me blind for
another couple of minutes."
January 20, 2005 1:43:27 PM

"Magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> 200-300. Most of them I no longer play. I've got about 12
> years worth,
> basicly. Maybe time to just get rid of alot of them?
>
> It's getting to the point, I'll look at a new game and think "Is
> this
> really worth the shelf space?" So I'm very selective now days on
> what games
> I'll buy.

Yep, as the game quality and their bugs increased, my buying has
dropped. If you're not a teenager playing some stupid fps game
their are no games for us. I now buy 1-2 games per year.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 1:51:19 PM

difool wrote:

> i have real reason to criticise valve, cause they made a game which
> i'm not able to buy, play and use
> they, the steam lovers bunch don't have any reason at all to flame
> at me unless they work for valve or they simply don't have anything
> else to do except pick someone to be their enemy in this group

I get it now. I've read The Face...I got the joke.

Excellent! Perhaps you should try Broadway?
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 3:47:47 PM

Zank Frappa wrote:

> difool <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:
> > poll: how many pc games do you own? (NO steam based)
> > total: 49
> > floppy: 18
> > cd-rom: 31
> > dvd-rom: 0
>
> floppy: 0
> cd-rom: 0
> cdr: 1,131
> dvd-rom: 0
> total: 1,131

LOL, here's my try:

floppy: 0
cd-rom: 0
cdr: 0
dvd-rom: 0
zip/rar/lzh: 4505
total: 4505

LOL.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 3:47:48 PM

On 20 Jan 2005, "ChoyKw" wrote:

> LOL, here's my try:
>
> floppy: 0
> cd-rom: 0
> cdr: 0
> dvd-rom: 0
> zip/rar/lzh: 4505
> total: 4505
>
> LOL.

so being a thief makes you laugh????
and stealing is very funny????
do you also steal from your family, from your friends, from your colleges?
and after you have steal from them do you also laugh? and do you laugh at
their faces????
you know why do you laugh at us cause you are stealing from us?
its cause you're just another coward like all pirates are!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

      • 1 / 3