POLL: How many PC Games do you own?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

poll: how many pc games do you own? (NO steam based)

if you like to buy a game in its physical medium version being it cd/dvd
if you like to collect the games you buy
if you like to appreciate a good packaging, with a solid case, appealing
cover, informative manual, useful quick reference card and fancy print
out cd/dvd, please answer this poll!

How many PC Games do you own?

only count the following:
.. only pc games
.. any games regardless genre
.. for any "os" version of dos and any "os" version of windows
.. games in physical medium like floppy/cd-rom/dvd-rom
.. any type of boxes, being it the modern dvd type or the old big ones

don't count:
.. steam based ones cause they have no collectable value at all
.. electronic distribution based games cause they also don't have value
as collectable items
.. any retail version with online activation required to install and play
cause they also don't have any collectable value
.. any illegal copies being it pirate or counterfeiting ones

ps: please when answering the poll don't include any quotes and only your
own text

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

difool wrote:

> poll: how many pc games do you own? (NO steam based)

Posts like this is why you have no credibility and hurting your cause.

difool wrote:
> poll: how many pc games do you own? (NO steam based)
>
> if you like to buy a game in its physical medium version being it cd/dvd
> if you like to collect the games you buy
> if you like to appreciate a good packaging, with a solid case, appealing
> cover, informative manual, useful quick reference card and fancy print
> out cd/dvd, please answer this poll!
>
> How many PC Games do you own?
>
> only count the following:
> . only pc games
> . any games regardless genre
> . for any "os" version of dos and any "os" version of windows
> . games in physical medium like floppy/cd-rom/dvd-rom
> . any type of boxes, being it the modern dvd type or the old big ones
>
> don't count:
> . steam based ones cause they have no collectable value at all
> . electronic distribution based games cause they also don't have value
> as collectable items
> . any retail version with online activation required to install and play
> cause they also don't have any collectable value
> . any illegal copies being it pirate or counterfeiting ones
>
> ps: please when answering the poll don't include any quotes and only your
> own text
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam
>
> please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html

-way too many. It's likely somewhere over a hundred -probably..

--
best regards, mat
np: [winamp not running]

www.pdxshows.net

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> poll: how many pc games do you own? (NO steam based)

total: 49
floppy: 18
cd-rom: 31
dvd-rom: 0

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:18:00 +0000, difool
<john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

>don't count:
>. steam based ones cause they have no collectable value at all

Worrying about the "collectibility" of your computer games is stupid.

David Johnston wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:18:00 +0000, difool
> <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:
>

>>don't count:
>>. steam based ones cause they have no collectable value at all
>

> Worrying about the "collectibility" of your computer games is stupid.

But they put out collectors editions...they are worth more...aren't
they? ;-)

difool <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in

> poll: how many pc games do you own? (NO steam based)

Well over a thousand, literally. Mostly floppies. Mostly 5.25in. I even
have some on 8 amd 10 inch floppies, cassette tape, reel-to-reel tape, and
punch cards. (hey you knew I was old!)

Of the CD variety it looks like I have a few hundred. I dont think I have
any DVD ones which meet your criteria.

Gandalf Parker

"Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message
> Well over a thousand, literally. Mostly floppies. Mostly 5.25in. I even
> have some on 8 amd 10 inch floppies, cassette tape, reel-to-reel tape, and
> punch cards. (hey you knew I was old!)

You've still got punch cards!

You give me hope. There are worse pack-rats in the world than me. Thanks.

dfs

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

my game purchases have plummeted after getting involved with mmorpgs.

in the long run, i saved money

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
> poll: how many pc games do you own? (NO steam based)
>
> if you like to buy a game in its physical medium version being it cd/dvd
> if you like to collect the games you buy
> if you like to appreciate a good packaging, with a solid case, appealing
> cover, informative manual, useful quick reference card and fancy print
> out cd/dvd, please answer this poll!
>
> How many PC Games do you own?
>
> only count the following:
> . only pc games
> . any games regardless genre
> . for any "os" version of dos and any "os" version of windows
> . games in physical medium like floppy/cd-rom/dvd-rom
> . any type of boxes, being it the modern dvd type or the old big ones
>
> don't count:
> . steam based ones cause they have no collectable value at all
> . electronic distribution based games cause they also don't have value
> as collectable items
> . any retail version with online activation required to install and play
> cause they also don't have any collectable value
> . any illegal copies being it pirate or counterfeiting ones
>
> ps: please when answering the poll don't include any quotes and only your
> own text
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam
>
> please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

200-300. Most of them I no longer play. I've got about 12 years worth,
basicly. Maybe time to just get rid of alot of them?

It's getting to the point, I'll look at a new game and think "Is this
really worth the shelf space?" So I'm very selective now days on what games
I'll buy.

difool wrote:
> poll: how many pc games do you own? (NO steam based)
>
> if you like to buy a game in its physical medium version being it cd/dvd
> if you like to collect the games you buy
> if you like to appreciate a good packaging, with a solid case, appealing
> cover, informative manual, useful quick reference card and fancy print
> out cd/dvd, please answer this poll!
>
> How many PC Games do you own?
>
> only count the following:
> . only pc games
> . any games regardless genre
> . for any "os" version of dos and any "os" version of windows
> . games in physical medium like floppy/cd-rom/dvd-rom
> . any type of boxes, being it the modern dvd type or the old big ones
>
> don't count:
> . steam based ones cause they have no collectable value at all
> . electronic distribution based games cause they also don't have value
> as collectable items
> . any retail version with online activation required to install and play
> cause they also don't have any collectable value
> . any illegal copies being it pirate or counterfeiting ones
>
> ps: please when answering the poll don't include any quotes and only your
> own text
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam
>
> please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
I own a "Shitload"...note that it is capitalized...A Shitload is not the
same as a shitload per se....But I do own a Shitload, if I were to count
all the games I have sittin' around!

Philski

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:18:00 +0000, difool
<john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

>poll: how many pc games do you own? (NO steam based)
21 downstairs, about half of which of which I regularly play and a
minimum of another 27 up in the loft that I don't play anymore.

I have had probably another 50 at one time or another that I have
played and sold on.

3 of those (that I can remember) are DVD - Wing Commander
somethingorother, Half Life 2 & Deus Ex 2
1 floppy game - Supremacy

Biggest Game install: probably Half Life 2 ~5gig

Smallest Game install: Curse of Monkey Island: ~2mb

Most played game: Quake 2, both online and offline

Least played game: System Shock 2 - never even installed

Cheapest game: The 3 Stooges, Archipelagoes 2000 - both 50p

Most Expensive game: Quake 3 - £34.99

Game that I most regret not playing more: System Shock 2 & Deus Ex 2

--
ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!

"David Short" <David.no.Short@Wright.spam.Edu.please> wrote in

> "Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message
>> Well over a thousand, literally. Mostly floppies. Mostly 5.25in. I
>> even have some on 8 amd 10 inch floppies, cassette tape, reel-to-reel
>> tape, and punch cards. (hey you knew I was old!)
>
> You've still got punch cards!

Yes. an early rogue, and a star trek that used to play out on big printers
before there were monitors or PCs.

> You give me hope. There are worse pack-rats in the world than me.
> Thanks.

heehee. Yes they are "time capsuled". Sealed away in the depths of the
Garage Dungeon waiting to be rediscovered at some future date (probably at
my death if we dont ever move :)

Gandalf Parker

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message
> "David Short" <David.no.Short@Wright.spam.Edu.please> wrote in
> > "Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message
> >> Well over a thousand, literally. Mostly floppies. Mostly 5.25in. I
> >> even have some on 8 amd 10 inch floppies, cassette tape, reel-to-reel
> >> tape, and punch cards. (hey you knew I was old!)
> >
> > You've still got punch cards!
>
> Yes. an early rogue, and a star trek that used to play out on big printers
> before there were monitors or PCs.

I remember playing and modifying punch card trek.
That was a while ago.

dfs

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
> poll: how many pc games do you own? (NO steam based)
>
> if you like to buy a game in its physical medium version being it cd/dvd
> if you like to collect the games you buy
> if you like to appreciate a good packaging, with a solid case, appealing
> cover, informative manual, useful quick reference card and fancy print
> out cd/dvd, please answer this poll!
>
> How many PC Games do you own?
>
> only count the following:
> . only pc games
> . any games regardless genre
> . for any "os" version of dos and any "os" version of windows
> . games in physical medium like floppy/cd-rom/dvd-rom
> . any type of boxes, being it the modern dvd type or the old big ones
>
> don't count:
> . steam based ones cause they have no collectable value at all
> . electronic distribution based games cause they also don't have value
> as collectable items
> . any retail version with online activation required to install and play
> cause they also don't have any collectable value
> . any illegal copies being it pirate or counterfeiting ones
>
> ps: please when answering the poll don't include any quotes and only your
> own text
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam
>
> please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html

Well, according to gamespot.com, where I believe I logged all my games in my
account, it shows 127 total games with a value of $4732.73. And I know a few
years ago I sold game "kits" with probably at least several dozen games in
each genre (i.e. action, strategy, simulation, etc) on eBay, and took in
over $750. That was amazing. I love eBay. But I hate to think I probably
spent over $2500 on those games. But they're not an investment for cash. An
investment for entertainment.

In article <379su055je0f9c35im15mj8vmqaojl7gue@4ax.com>,
john.difool@mail.telepac.pt says...

>poll: how many pc games do you own? (NO steam based)

>How many PC Games do you own?

738 games, but only two of the original boxes. One I just bought, the other is
an autographed SimCity 2000 box.

http://users.erols.com/kennrice
Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of LEGO bricks
http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

I collect bird droppings instead. Wonderfully satisying hobby.

John A. wrote:
> And the truth of the matter is, that if you can provide the complete
> package, manual, media, etc., then there is likely someone, somewhere
> that will pay good money for it.
> John

Yup. Metroid 2 for gameboy, just the cartridge, goes for $12 on eBay.
I kept the box, the manual, the nintendo power flyers, everything. Sold
the 14 year old game for $100.

If you happen to have an unopened copy of Zelda for NES, it goes for $500 on
eBay.

vinCe

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Reg LeCrisp" wrote
> my game purchases have plummeted after getting involved with mmorpgs.
> in the long run, i saved money

I've never played one - but I am intrigued.

I'd appreciate knowing which one (in your opinion) is the best - ignoring
price.

> "David Short" <David.no.Short@Wright.spam.Edu.please> wrote in
>
> > "Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message
> >> Well over a thousand, literally. Mostly floppies. Mostly 5.25in. I
> >> even have some on 8 amd 10 inch floppies, cassette tape, reel-to-reel
> >> tape, and punch cards. (hey you knew I was old!)
> >
> > You've still got punch cards!
>
> Yes. an early rogue, and a star trek that used to play out on big printers
> before there were monitors or PCs.
>
> > You give me hope. There are worse pack-rats in the world than me.
> > Thanks.
>
> heehee. Yes they are "time capsuled". Sealed away in the depths of the
> Garage Dungeon waiting to be rediscovered at some future date (probably at
> my death if we dont ever move :)
>
> Gandalf Parker

Let me guess. I bet you have the Main Frame Golf game on punch cards as
well. Played that one and the trek version but never saw rogue until I used
an IBM XT.

difool wrote:

> poll: how many pc games do you own?

None. I have purchased the right to play over three dozen titles on my
shelf (PC and Mac ... and some old Amiga games) but the EULA for each
clearly specifies that *I* do not own any of the games, I am merely
entitled to use the software.

Is this a real poll or a test of people's ability to read the EULA
documents they "sign" by using the software enclosed?

- Sheldon

Sheldon England wrote:

> Is this a real poll or a test of people's ability to read the EULA
> documents they "sign" by using the software enclosed?

No, it's a thinly vailed attack on Steam.

"Squat" <Squat@yeahright.com> wrote in

> "Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message
>> "David Short" <David.no.Short@Wright.spam.Edu.please> wrote in
>>
>> > "Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in
>> > message
>> >
>> > You've still got punch cards!
>>
>> Yes. an early rogue, and a star trek that used to play out on big
>> printers before there were monitors or PCs.
>>
>> > You give me hope. There are worse pack-rats in the world than me.
>> > Thanks.
>>
>> heehee. Yes they are "time capsuled". Sealed away in the depths of
>> the Garage Dungeon waiting to be rediscovered at some future date
>> (probably at my death if we dont ever move :)
>
> Let me guess. I bet you have the Main Frame Golf game on punch cards
> as well. Played that one and the trek version but never saw rogue
> until I used an IBM XT.

Truthfully I dont remember. I doubt that I have that one. I remember it
but it wasnt the type of game I would have kept a copy of.

Gandalf Parker

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:37:49 -0700, "Hank the Rapper"
<xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>Sheldon England wrote:
>
>> Is this a real poll or a test of people's ability to read the EULA
>> documents they "sign" by using the software enclosed?
>
>No, it's a thinly vailed attack on Steam.

Your paranoia is showing...... you need to consult your shrink
again. Haven't you been warned already not to play HL2.

John Lewis

John Lewis wrote:

> Your paranoia is showing...... you need to consult your shrink
> again. Haven't you been warned already not to play HL2.

If it was anybody but difool who started this thread, you might have a
point. Though I'm sure your post was still tongue-in-cheek. I've moved on
from HL2 anyway. I'm playing Knights of the Old Republic 2. It isn't as good
as the first. That isn't to say it's horrible. It's just more of the same.