Radeon 9800 Pro problems

I have an ATI Radeon 9800 XT Pro (128MB). I've tried fresh installs of
Windows XP and Windows 2000. Other information:

Pentium 4-2GHz
P4S5A/DX motherboard
1x256MB RAM, 1x512MB RAM
40 Gig hard disk
Soundblaster Live! 5.1
Surecom Ethernet card
I used to have a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 that worked flawlessly.

I've installed the drivers from the CD that came with it. (ATI_032403J)
It recognizes WinXP as Windows 2000, incidentally. Chipset 1039:0646
rev. 0.

The CD installs 'Radeon Display Driver', 'Control Panel' and 'Hydravision'

I get the following message on boot:
Hydravision:
'ATI's desktop manager is being unloaded because an ATI display driver
is not currently running... etc'

If I try to directly run Hydravision, I get: "This message has appeared
to inform you that Hydravision will only run when an ATI display driver
is loaded. An ATI display driver is not currently detected on your
system."

My Display properties sees Radeon 9800 Pro and Radeon 9800 Pro -
Secondary, and can display high resolutions at True Colour. The display
is obviously being accelerated. Add or Remove Programs shows ATI
Display Driver installed, Hydravision, and ATI Control Panel installed.

- If I attempt to install drivers from powercolor.com.tw (instead of the
reference CD) on a vanilla Windows XP, I get the same errors.
- Device Manager sees both display adapters properly and they appear to
work.
- I occasionally get power failure on bootup as described in my previous
email. I swear the plug is in the socket.
- S-video out does not work at all, (even when I forcibly install the
control centre and then force it to detect my TV and click the little
thing in the top left corner and select PAL B etc...). It CAN do DVI
and VGA output simultaneously.
- I didn't get an S-video to Composite converter in my box, which I
believe I should have got.
- I've plugged in my old GeForce and uninstalled the ATI drivers and
installed the nVidia drivers again... works perfectly (albeit less
advanced than my Radeon).

Is the card sick? 2 days old, under warranty, still got the receipt.

"Richard Cavell" <richardcavell@mail.com> wrote in message
>I have an ATI Radeon 9800 XT Pro (128MB). I've tried fresh installs of
>Windows XP and Windows 2000. Other information:
>
> Pentium 4-2GHz
> P4S5A/DX motherboard
> 1x256MB RAM, 1x512MB RAM
> 40 Gig hard disk
> Soundblaster Live! 5.1
> Surecom Ethernet card
> I used to have a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 that worked flawlessly.
>
> I've installed the drivers from the CD that came with it. (ATI_032403J)
> It recognizes WinXP as Windows 2000, incidentally. Chipset 1039:0646 rev.
> 0.
>
> The CD installs 'Radeon Display Driver', 'Control Panel' and 'Hydravision'
>
> I get the following message on boot:
> Hydravision:
> 'ATI's desktop manager is being unloaded because an ATI display driver is
> not currently running... etc'
>
> If I try to directly run Hydravision, I get: "This message has appeared to
> inform you that Hydravision will only run when an ATI display driver is
> loaded. An ATI display driver is not currently detected on your system."
>
> My Display properties sees Radeon 9800 Pro and Radeon 9800 Pro -
> Secondary, and can display high resolutions at True Colour. The display
> is obviously being accelerated. Add or Remove Programs shows ATI Display
> Driver installed, Hydravision, and ATI Control Panel installed.
>
> - If I attempt to install drivers from powercolor.com.tw (instead of the
> reference CD) on a vanilla Windows XP, I get the same errors.
> - Device Manager sees both display adapters properly and they appear to
> work.
> - I occasionally get power failure on bootup as described in my previous
> email. I swear the plug is in the socket.
> - S-video out does not work at all, (even when I forcibly install the
> control centre and then force it to detect my TV and click the little
> thing in the top left corner and select PAL B etc...). It CAN do DVI and
> VGA output simultaneously.
> - I didn't get an S-video to Composite converter in my box, which I
> believe I should have got.
> - I've plugged in my old GeForce and uninstalled the ATI drivers and
> installed the nVidia drivers again... works perfectly (albeit less
> advanced than my Radeon).
>
> Is the card sick? 2 days old, under warranty, still got the receipt.

You've already been given the most likely answer!!!!!

Here it is again:

Dump your 250 Watt Power Supply and get a high quality (Antec or other) 400
Watt or better Power Supply.

--
callsignviper

The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
the right questions.

Kent_Diego

> I have an ATI Radeon 9800 XT Pro (128MB). I've tried fresh installs of
> Windows XP and Windows 2000. Other information:

1. Be sure to install latest chipset AGP drivers for motherboard.
2. You need new DirectX version 9c
3. Visit forums at http://rage3d.com for detailed info.

-Kent

geoff

Richard Cavell wrote:
> I have an ATI Radeon 9800 XT Pro (128MB). I've tried fresh installs
> of Windows XP and Windows 2000. Other information:

didn't you read the replys to your first post or what ?
you where told a 250watt psu isn't enough, i agree, go buy a new psu and try
that