SP2: Disabling blocking of downloads

As I'm guessing many of you already know, Windows XP SP2 logs the origin of
downloaded files, and blocks files from other computers. I want to disable
this logging, and remove the blocks, since I find it quite annoying to have
to remove the blocking from each and every file to make certain applications
(such as Visual Studio) willing to use them. If it's possible, I would also
like to know if there are any API calls to remove the block from an existing
file, so I can code a small application to remove it from existing files.
I'm running XP Home. TIA!

Michael Madsen
3 answers Last reply
More about disabling blocking downloads

    You can make custom changes to Internet Explorer's default security by
    launching IE, then from the Toolbar select Tools > Internet Options >
    Security > Custom Level.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Pidgeot" wrote:

    | As I'm guessing many of you already know, Windows XP SP2 logs the origin of
    | downloaded files, and blocks files from other computers. I want to disable
    | this logging, and remove the blocks, since I find it quite annoying to have
    | to remove the blocking from each and every file to make certain applications
    | (such as Visual Studio) willing to use them. If it's possible, I would also
    | like to know if there are any API calls to remove the block from an existing
    | file, so I can code a small application to remove it from existing files.
    | I'm running XP Home. TIA!
    |
    | Michael Madsen

    I'm aware of that, but which option(s) do I need to change? The only ones
    that seem fitting is "Persistent user data" and "Access to data sources
    across domains" (I think that's what they're called in English), but none of
    them affect my problem - Windows still marks my downloads as untrusted.

    According to http://www.mcpmag.com/columns/print.asp?EditorialsID=716, (see
    under Download Management), this information is stored in a stream associated
    with the file. Using one of these files as an example, I can see it is a
    stream named Zone.Identifier. This stream (displayed using MORE) is as
    follows:

    [ZoneTransfer]
    ZoneId=3

    , and going into the properties of that file and clicking "Remove blocking"
    removes that stream.

    I've found a tool to remove the streams, but I still can't get Windows to
    stop putting it there in the first place - unless I don't mind converting to
    FAT32, which doesn't allow for these streams. I don't want to do that, though.

    According to http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=190607&st=15,
    you can do this by inserting these keys into the registry:

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Download]
    "CheckExeSignatures"="no"
    "RunInvalidSignatures"=dword:00000001
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy
    Objects\{11D31951-7848-48E3-89C2-6762AF05C427}User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments]
    "SaveZoneInformation"=dword:00000001
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations]
    "LowRiskFileTypes"=".exe;.bat;.com;.cmd;.reg;.msi;.htm;.html;.gif;.bmp;.jpg;.avi;.mpg;.mpeg;.mov;.mp3;.m3u;.wav;"

    , however, the "Group Policy Objects" part makes this look like it's only
    usable under XP Pro.

    Anyone able to offer more info?

    Michael

    Pidgeot wrote:

    > I'm aware of that, but which option(s) do I need to change? The only ones
    > that seem fitting is "Persistent user data" and "Access to data sources
    > across domains" (I think that's what they're called in English), but none of
    > them affect my problem - Windows still marks my downloads as untrusted.
    >
    > According to http://www.mcpmag.com/columns/print.asp?EditorialsID=716, (see
    > under Download Management), this information is stored in a stream associated
    > with the file. Using one of these files as an example, I can see it is a
    > stream named Zone.Identifier. This stream (displayed using MORE) is as
    > follows:
    >
    > [ZoneTransfer]
    > ZoneId=3
    >
    > , and going into the properties of that file and clicking "Remove blocking"
    > removes that stream.
    >
    > I've found a tool to remove the streams, but I still can't get Windows to
    > stop putting it there in the first place - unless I don't mind converting to
    > FAT32, which doesn't allow for these streams. I don't want to do that, though.
    >
    > According to http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=190607&st=15,
    > you can do this by inserting these keys into the registry:
    >
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Download]
    > "CheckExeSignatures"="no"
    > "RunInvalidSignatures"=dword:00000001
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy
    > Objects\{11D31951-7848-48E3-89C2-6762AF05C427}User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments]
    > "SaveZoneInformation"=dword:00000001
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations]
    > "LowRiskFileTypes"=".exe;.bat;.com;.cmd;.reg;.msi;.htm;.html;.gif;.bmp;.jpg;.avi;.mpg;.mpeg;.mov;.mp3;.m3u;.wav;"
    >
    > , however, the "Group Policy Objects" part makes this look like it's only
    > usable under XP Pro.
    >
    > Anyone able to offer more info?
    Hi,

    If you use a 3rd party browser to download files with, this additional
    stream info will not be added, and your problem is solved...

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Windows XP