Access to User Profile on Slave HDD

parker

Hello All,

This weekend I added a new HDD to my PC and slaved to old one. I can access
all drives without a problem except for the user profiles in Documents and
Settings that were on the C drive. I have shared all drives and the only
user profiles are all in the administrator group for both HDD's. I always
get the same error that access is denied. What is it I am forgetting!?

Thanks for Any Responses in Advance

Malke

Parker wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> This weekend I added a new HDD to my PC and slaved to old one. I can
> access all drives without a problem except for the user profiles in
> Documents and
> Settings that were on the C drive. I have shared all drives and the
> only user profiles are all in the administrator group for both HDD's.
> I always
> get the same error that access is denied. What is it I am
> forgetting!?
>
> Thanks for Any Responses in Advance

You need to take ownership of the files/folders.

Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421] -
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Hi Parker,

Thanks for posting here! Also thanks for Malke's kindly reply!

From your post, my understanding of this issue is: How to access to User
Profile on your old Slaved HDD. If this is not correct, please feel free
to let me know.

I totally agree with our MVP Malke, and I also duplicate related
information here for your convenience:

Note: You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has
administrative credentials.

How to take ownership of a folder:
----------------------------------
1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then
click Properties.

2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if
one appears).

3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

4. In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you
are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you
want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace
owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

5. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:

Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting
you Full Control?
All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes."

Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership
of.

6. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that
you want for the folder and its contents.

How to take ownership of a file:
--------------------------------
1. Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click
Properties.

2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if
one appears).

3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

4. In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators
group, and then click OK.

The administrator or the Administrators group now owns the file. To change
the permissions on the files and folders under this folder, go to step 5.

5. Click Add.

6. In the Enter the object names to select (examples) list, type the user
or group account that you want to give access to the file. For example,
type Administrator.

7. Click OK.

8. In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want, and
then select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign that
user.

9. When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to
contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Tom Che

Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
>From: "Parker" <nospam@nospam.com>
>Subject: Access to User Profile on Slave HDD
>Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:42:35 -0400
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
>
>Hello All,
>
>This weekend I added a new HDD to my PC and slaved to old one. I can
access
>all drives without a problem except for the user profiles in Documents and
>Settings that were on the C drive. I have shared all drives and the only
>user profiles are all in the administrator group for both HDD's. I always
>get the same error that access is denied. What is it I am forgetting!?
>
>Thanks for Any Responses in Advance

parker

Thank You both so much. I had forgotten about folder ownership. I will
give it a try and report back. Thank you again!!

"Tom Che [MSFT]" <v-tomche@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> Have a nice day!
>
> Sincerely,
> Tom Che
>
> Microsoft Online Partner Support
> rights.
>
> --------------------
>>From: "Parker" <nospam@nospam.com>
>>Subject: Access to User Profile on Slave HDD
>>Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:42:35 -0400
>>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
>>
>>Hello All,
>>
>>This weekend I added a new HDD to my PC and slaved to old one. I can
> access
>>all drives without a problem except for the user profiles in Documents and
>>Settings that were on the C drive. I have shared all drives and the only
>>user profiles are all in the administrator group for both HDD's. I always
>>get the same error that access is denied. What is it I am forgetting!?

Hello Again, There was no joy. When I right clicked and went to properties
there was no security tab to go to the advanced button. Both sharing and
security was the same tab at the top as well as general and customize. I
have a local network w/ xps2 on both. I was surprised not to see that tab
for security. Other Ideas? Thanks Again!

"Parker" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>> Microsoft Online Partner Support
>> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
>> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
>> rights.
>>
>> --------------------
>>>From: "Parker" <nospam@nospam.com>
>>>Subject: Access to User Profile on Slave HDD
>>>Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:42:35 -0400
>>>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
>>>
>>>Hello All,
>>>
>>>This weekend I added a new HDD to my PC and slaved to old one. I can
>> access
>>>all drives without a problem except for the user profiles in Documents
>>>and
>>>Settings that were on the C drive. I have shared all drives and the only
>>>user profiles are all in the administrator group for both HDD's. I always
>>>get the same error that access is denied. What is it I am forgetting!?

I just realized I did not turn off the simple file sharing. I'll try again
and let you know

> [...]
>>
>> Microsoft Online Partner Support
>> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
>> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
>> rights.
>>
>> --------------------
>>>From: "Parker" <nospam@nospam.com>
>>>Subject: Access to User Profile on Slave HDD
>>>Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:42:35 -0400
>>>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
>>>
>>>Hello All,
>>>
>>>This weekend I added a new HDD to my PC and slaved to old one. I can
>> access
>>>all drives without a problem except for the user profiles in Documents
>>>and
>>>Settings that were on the C drive. I have shared all drives and the only
>>>user profiles are all in the administrator group for both HDD's. I always
>>>get the same error that access is denied. What is it I am forgetting!?

On XP Home, you need to reboot in Safe Mode to see the Security tab ... On
XP Pro, when logged in as an admin, it's possible to still not see the
Security tab if the Local Security Policy is configured as such and applied
to the Admin ... Hopefully, from the sounds of things, it's Home you have,
but if not, you should look at any policies that are affecting you ...