Access to User Profile on Slave HDD

Hello All,

This weekend I added a new HDD to my PC and slaved to old one. I can access
all drives without a problem except for the user profiles in Documents and
Settings that were on the C drive. I have shared all drives and the only
user profiles are all in the administrator group for both HDD's. I always
get the same error that access is denied. What is it I am forgetting!?

Thanks for Any Responses in Advance
6 answers Last reply
More about access user profile slave

    Parker wrote:

    > Hello All,
    >
    > This weekend I added a new HDD to my PC and slaved to old one. I can
    > access all drives without a problem except for the user profiles in
    > Documents and
    > Settings that were on the C drive. I have shared all drives and the
    > only user profiles are all in the administrator group for both HDD's.
    > I always
    > get the same error that access is denied. What is it I am
    > forgetting!?
    >
    > Thanks for Any Responses in Advance

    You need to take ownership of the files/folders.

    Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421] -
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Hi Parker,

    Thanks for posting here! Also thanks for Malke's kindly reply!

    From your post, my understanding of this issue is: How to access to User
    Profile on your old Slaved HDD. If this is not correct, please feel free
    to let me know.

    I totally agree with our MVP Malke, and I also duplicate related
    information here for your convenience:

    Note: You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has
    administrative credentials.

    How to take ownership of a folder:
    ----------------------------------
    1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then
    click Properties.

    2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if
    one appears).

    3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

    4. In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you
    are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you
    want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace
    owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

    5. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:

    Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting
    you Full Control?
    All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes."

    Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership
    of.

    6. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that
    you want for the folder and its contents.

    How to take ownership of a file:
    --------------------------------
    1. Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click
    Properties.

    2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if
    one appears).

    3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

    4. In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators
    group, and then click OK.

    The administrator or the Administrators group now owns the file. To change
    the permissions on the files and folders under this folder, go to step 5.

    5. Click Add.

    6. In the Enter the object names to select (examples) list, type the user
    or group account that you want to give access to the file. For example,
    type Administrator.

    7. Click OK.

    8. In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want, and
    then select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign that
    user.

    9. When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.

    If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to
    contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

    Have a nice day!

    Sincerely,
    Tom Che

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    >From: "Parker" <nospam@nospam.com>
    >Subject: Access to User Profile on Slave HDD
    >Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:42:35 -0400
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
    >
    >Hello All,
    >
    >This weekend I added a new HDD to my PC and slaved to old one. I can
    access
    >all drives without a problem except for the user profiles in Documents and
    >Settings that were on the C drive. I have shared all drives and the only
    >user profiles are all in the administrator group for both HDD's. I always
    >get the same error that access is denied. What is it I am forgetting!?
    >
    >Thanks for Any Responses in Advance

    Thank You both so much. I had forgotten about folder ownership. I will
    give it a try and report back. Thank you again!!

    "Tom Che [MSFT]" <v-tomche@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >
    > Have a nice day!
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Tom Che
    >
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support
    > rights.
    >
    > --------------------
    >>From: "Parker" <nospam@nospam.com>
    >>Subject: Access to User Profile on Slave HDD
    >>Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:42:35 -0400
    >>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
    >>
    >>Hello All,
    >>
    >>This weekend I added a new HDD to my PC and slaved to old one. I can
    > access
    >>all drives without a problem except for the user profiles in Documents and
    >>Settings that were on the C drive. I have shared all drives and the only
    >>user profiles are all in the administrator group for both HDD's. I always
    >>get the same error that access is denied. What is it I am forgetting!?

    Hello Again, There was no joy. When I right clicked and went to properties
    there was no security tab to go to the advanced button. Both sharing and
    security was the same tab at the top as well as general and customize. I
    have a local network w/ xps2 on both. I was surprised not to see that tab
    for security. Other Ideas? Thanks Again!

    "Parker" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >>
    >> Microsoft Online Partner Support
    >> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
    >> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
    >> rights.
    >>
    >> --------------------
    >>>From: "Parker" <nospam@nospam.com>
    >>>Subject: Access to User Profile on Slave HDD
    >>>Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:42:35 -0400
    >>>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
    >>>
    >>>Hello All,
    >>>
    >>>This weekend I added a new HDD to my PC and slaved to old one. I can
    >> access
    >>>all drives without a problem except for the user profiles in Documents
    >>>and
    >>>Settings that were on the C drive. I have shared all drives and the only
    >>>user profiles are all in the administrator group for both HDD's. I always
    >>>get the same error that access is denied. What is it I am forgetting!?

    I just realized I did not turn off the simple file sharing. I'll try again
    and let you know

> [...]
    >>
    >> Microsoft Online Partner Support
    >> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
    >> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
    >> rights.
    >>
    >> --------------------
    >>>From: "Parker" <nospam@nospam.com>
    >>>Subject: Access to User Profile on Slave HDD
    >>>Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:42:35 -0400
    >>>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
    >>>
    >>>Hello All,
    >>>
    >>>This weekend I added a new HDD to my PC and slaved to old one. I can
    >> access
    >>>all drives without a problem except for the user profiles in Documents
    >>>and
    >>>Settings that were on the C drive. I have shared all drives and the only
    >>>user profiles are all in the administrator group for both HDD's. I always
    >>>get the same error that access is denied. What is it I am forgetting!?

    On XP Home, you need to reboot in Safe Mode to see the Security tab ... On
    XP Pro, when logged in as an admin, it's possible to still not see the
    Security tab if the Local Security Policy is configured as such and applied
    to the Admin ... Hopefully, from the sounds of things, it's Home you have,
    but if not, you should look at any policies that are affecting you ...

> [...]
    > >>
    > >> 7. Click OK.
    > >>
    > >> 8. In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want,
    and
    > >> then select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign
    > >> that
    > >> user.
    > >>
    > >> 9. When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.
    > >>
    > >> If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to
    > >> contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.
    > >>
    > >> Have a nice day!
    > >>
    > >> Sincerely,
    > >> Tom Che
    > >>
    > >> Microsoft Online Partner Support
    > >> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
    > >> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
    so
    > >> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

Security Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP