Microdrive or not?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 2, 2004 1:56:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,fj.comp.dev.digital-camera (More info?)

Hi

I am new to the field of digital cameras and am just about at the point of
buying my first one.

However, as is often the case in such matters I cannot seem to find the
really relevant information about Microdrives.

Basically, I've been looking at either buying a camera with a 512Mb CF card
or a 1Gb microdrive. The price is about the same. Given that a Microdrive
has a tiny hard drive in it (So I've been told) I wanted to know two things;

1. How much more power does a Microdrive require over that of a CF card?
2. How robust/reliable is it considering it's being moved about a bit when
in use?

All advice/comments appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Regards

Steve

More about : microdrive

April 2, 2004 1:56:39 AM

Steve Morris wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am new to the field of digital cameras and am just about at the point of
> buying my first one.
>
> However, as is often the case in such matters I cannot seem to find the
> really relevant information about Microdrives.
>
> Basically, I've been looking at either buying a camera with a 512Mb CF card
> or a 1Gb microdrive. The price is about the same. Given that a Microdrive
> has a tiny hard drive in it (So I've been told) I wanted to know two things;
>
> 1. How much more power does a Microdrive require over that of a CF card?
> 2. How robust/reliable is it considering it's being moved about a bit when
> in use?
>
> All advice/comments appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

I've had my Microdrive for a few years, since they were pretty new, and
I've been delighted with it. I have no more concern about it then I
would with a CF card, perhaps less actually, because if I had CF cards I
would be handling them more, possibly dropping them more, and more
likely to lose or confuse them. The microdrive is extraordinarily hardy
and it can be drooped without damage from any normal height. You are
right, it does have moving parts though and if you grind your heel into
it after you drop it you are likely to damage it. It can withstand a
shock of at least 150 g's.

I carry an extra set of batteries with me when I'm using my camera on
vacation. The batteries I have are 1800 mah (higher capacity batteries
are common today). I have rarely had to change batteries during the
course of a day and I am an avid photographer. I once sat and just kept
pushing the shutter button on my camera to see when the batteries would
run down. At 80+ pictures it I got tired and gave up. I recharge
both sets of batteries each night when I am traveling and I wold do that
regardless of the type of memory or camera I was using.

IBM sold the division that made the microdrive and other rotating disk
drives to Hitachi a year or two ago. Hitachi makes those drives now and
you can check the specs for the various models at
http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/micro/1gb.htm

Bernie
Anonymous
April 2, 2004 2:30:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,fj.comp.dev.digital-camera (More info?)

Like Bernie, I got a microdrive to go with my Minolta Dimage A1. With image
sizes of 7 MBs in RAW (best resolution) and the need to store perhaps a
couple of hundred or more during a holiday, I have just bought a second 1GB
for stand-by. I also bought a second battery, but not the Minolta 1400 mA.h
lithium ion - I went for a 1800 unit called a DSP 9000, which attaches to
the camera base, and plugs in to the DC supply socket, so that way I have
the two batteries always 'ON'. I only once ran the main battery flat and
that was within the first month of getting the camera and the Usenet opinion
was that probably the first battery was never fully charged when I bought
it. The microdrive hardly leaves the camera since I find it easier to
couple-up the camera through a standard USB cable to the PC, the unit is
'found' as an extra drive and I simply copy the image files over onto the
hard drive. Certainly, microdrives are to be recommended - easy to use,
massive storage and no problems (so far, fingers, crossed!).
RoJ
"Steve Morris" <Stephen.Morris@btinternet.com> wrote in message
: Hi
:
[...]
: --
: Regards
:
: Steve
:
:
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 3, 2004 2:49:32 AM

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 15:35:50 -0600, Bernie <bernie@notreally.com>
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Having "helped" with replies, I have a question of my own. <G>

What is the speed of the microdrive like compared to electronic
memories? That would be another issue.

>I've had my Microdrive for a few years, since they were pretty new, and
>I've been delighted with it. I have no more concern about it then I
>would with a CF card, perhaps less actually, because if I had CF cards I
>would be handling them more, possibly dropping them more, and more
>likely to lose or confuse them. The microdrive is extraordinarily hardy
>and it can be drooped without damage from any normal height. You are
>right, it does have moving parts though and if you grind your heel into
>it after you drop it you are likely to damage it. It can withstand a
>shock of at least 150 g's.

I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
.........no I'm not.
Anonymous
April 3, 2004 3:10:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,fj.comp.dev.digital-camera (More info?)

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

However, you may have answered my questions implicitly, but I wonder if you
could clarify the following.

How suseptible is a Microdrive from camera movement (e.g general handling,
jolts etc) ?

Any ideas on how using a microdrive as opposed to a solid-state CF card
affects battery life? I would imagine a Microdrive uses significantly more
power than a CF card because of the moving parts, but I may be wrong.

Apologies if I'm repeating myself a bit..

--
Regards

Steve
"Roger Gelder" <roger.gelder@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Like Bernie, I got a microdrive to go with my Minolta Dimage A1. With
image
> sizes of 7 MBs in RAW (best resolution) and the need to store perhaps a
> couple of hundred or more during a holiday, I have just bought a second
1GB
> for stand-by. I also bought a second battery, but not the Minolta 1400
mA.h
> lithium ion - I went for a 1800 unit called a DSP 9000, which attaches to
> the camera base, and plugs in to the DC supply socket, so that way I have
> the two batteries always 'ON'. I only once ran the main battery flat and
> that was within the first month of getting the camera and the Usenet
opinion
> was that probably the first battery was never fully charged when I bought
> it. The microdrive hardly leaves the camera since I find it easier to
> couple-up the camera through a standard USB cable to the PC, the unit is
> 'found' as an extra drive and I simply copy the image files over onto the
> hard drive. Certainly, microdrives are to be recommended - easy to use,
> massive storage and no problems (so far, fingers, crossed!).
> RoJ
> "Steve Morris" <Stephen.Morris@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> : Hi
> :
> : I am new to the field of digital cameras and am just about at the point
of
> : buying my first one.
> :
> : However, as is often the case in such matters I cannot seem to find the
> : really relevant information about Microdrives.
> :
> : Basically, I've been looking at either buying a camera with a 512Mb CF
> card
> : or a 1Gb microdrive. The price is about the same. Given that a
Microdrive
> : has a tiny hard drive in it (So I've been told) I wanted to know two
> things;
> :
> : 1. How much more power does a Microdrive require over that of a CF card?
> : 2. How robust/reliable is it considering it's being moved about a bit
when
> : in use?
> :
> : All advice/comments appreciated.
> :
> : Thanks.
> :
> : --
> : Regards
> :
> : Steve
> :
> :

Anonymous
April 3, 2004 3:10:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,fj.comp.dev.digital-camera (More info?)

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 23:10:13 +0100, "Steve Morris"
<Stephen.Morris@btinternet.com> vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

PMFJI

I don't use a microDrive, but have read the other posts without your
"pucker factor" <G>. I have to admit that my money is also not on the
line when I pretend to understand the replies <GG>

However.

Try steves-digicams, and dpreview, to see if they have any talk of
reviews and power consumption. Steves will often give opinions and
conclusions that are right on the nail for this sort of question.

>Hi
>
>Thanks for the reply.
>
>However, you may have answered my questions implicitly, but I wonder if you
>could clarify the following.
>
>How suseptible is a Microdrive from camera movement (e.g general handling,
>jolts etc) ?

Well if it can stand 150 G, I would say not much. Sounds as if the
camera would go first! If you were _holding_ the camera at the time,
_you_ could get hurt! <G>

>Any ideas on how using a microdrive as opposed to a solid-state CF card
>affects battery life? I would imagine a Microdrive uses significantly more
>power than a CF card because of the moving parts, but I may be wrong.

It would use more. It has to, but I would assume the MicroDrive would
be running pretty well flat out if you simply sat and took 80+ shots
one after the other as one poster did, to test it. That is a lot of
shots on a battery, and it had not finished in the test.

I think you should take into account that there are many other things
in a camera that use battery, besides the storage: LCD, focus, zoom,
metering etc all use power all the time , whether you are shooting or
not. LCD's generate significan heat, which is a big indicator of power
consumption.

I carry two sets of cells (2200 mAH, and they are getting bigger!),
and swap when one gets low. I have a 1 hour "intelligent" charger, and
it can run from a car. To me this is more important than time between
battery changes, which is highly variable for me.

Steve Morris wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> However, you may have answered my questions implicitly, but I wonder if you
> could clarify the following.
>
> How suseptible is a Microdrive from camera movement (e.g general handling,
> jolts etc) ?
>
> Any ideas on how using a microdrive as opposed to a solid-state CF card
> affects battery life? I would imagine a Microdrive uses significantly more
> power than a CF card because of the moving parts, but I may be wrong.
>
> Apologies if I'm repeating myself a bit..

I've only drooped my camera 2 or 3 times. No damage to the camera nor
the microdrive. The microdrive has almost never been removed from the
camera. One time when i did remove it, probably to answer a question
for someone, I did drop it accidentally. No damage.

As far as power consumption and speed, I don't really know about power.
the specs for the microdrive, and the specs for various cards, may
help you analyze those differences. I do not think it will be a
difference maker in your decision. Just be sure that you are using
rechargeable batteries, and if they're NiMH batteries that they are a
minimum of 1800 mah. Larger capacities keep becoming available.

As far as speed, that is another tough question. I have seen questions
about the speed of CF cards, and they appear to vary by manufacturer,
and perhaps by size. If CF form factor stops being a factor for you
then you'll wind up considering other types of memory as well, and have
even more questions about the comparable speed of each type of memory,
each manufacturer, and each size card, as well as the price of each.

Don't let analysis paralysis keep you from doing something. As you've
seen, those of us with the microdrive are happy, usually very happy,
with it. There are a lot of other factors that you are going to take
into account in making your camera selection. If I were doing it again
I would look for a camera that had all the other things I want and could
accommodate a microdrive and have a USB connection to access the
microdrive from my computer (which is how m camera works too). But some
of those small, high resolution cameras that fit in a shirt pocket are
very attractive and if I have to buy another camera I will certainly
look at them, regardless of the type of memory they use.

Bernie
Anonymous
April 3, 2004 11:27:32 PM

Old Nick typed:

> On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 15:35:50 -0600, Bernie <bernie@notreally.com>
> vaguely proposed a theory
> ......and in reply I say!:
> remove ns from my header address to reply via email
>
> Having "helped" with replies, I have a question of my own. <G>
>
> What is the speed of the microdrive like compared to electronic
> memories? That would be another issue.

see this link about speed tests

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/flashcard-test/flas...

>> I've had my Microdrive for a few years, since they were pretty new,
>> and I've been delighted with it. I have no more concern about it
>> then I would with a CF card, perhaps less actually, because if I had
>> CF cards I would be handling them more, possibly dropping them more,
>> and more likely to lose or confuse them. The microdrive is
>> extraordinarily hardy and it can be drooped without damage from any
>> normal height. You are right, it does have moving parts though and
>> if you grind your heel into it after you drop it you are likely to
>> damage it. It can withstand a shock of at least 150 g's.

> remove ns from my header address to reply via email
>
> I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
> us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
> ........no I'm not.
Anonymous
April 3, 2004 11:30:54 PM

I wonder...are noisy? I mean, do you hear it spinning? And when you
power-up, do they start like those in PC's...that starting increasing pitch
sound?

Bernie typed:

> Steve Morris wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Thanks for the reply.
>>
>> However, you may have answered my questions implicitly, but I wonder
>> if you could clarify the following.
>>
>> How suseptible is a Microdrive from camera movement (e.g general
>> handling, jolts etc) ?
>>
>> Any ideas on how using a microdrive as opposed to a solid-state CF
>> card affects battery life? I would imagine a Microdrive uses
>> significantly more power than a CF card because of the moving parts,
>> but I may be wrong.
>>
>> Apologies if I'm repeating myself a bit..
>>
> I've only drooped my camera 2 or 3 times. No damage to the camera nor
> the microdrive. The microdrive has almost never been removed from the
> camera. One time when i did remove it, probably to answer a question
> for someone, I did drop it accidentally. No damage.
>
> As far as power consumption and speed, I don't really know about
> power. the specs for the microdrive, and the specs for various
> cards, may
> help you analyze those differences. I do not think it will be a
> difference maker in your decision. Just be sure that you are using
> rechargeable batteries, and if they're NiMH batteries that they are a
> minimum of 1800 mah. Larger capacities keep becoming available.
>
> As far as speed, that is another tough question. I have seen
> questions about the speed of CF cards, and they appear to vary by
> manufacturer, and perhaps by size. If CF form factor stops being a
> factor for you then you'll wind up considering other types of memory
> as well, and have even more questions about the comparable speed of
> each type of memory, each manufacturer, and each size card, as well
> as the price of each.
>
> Don't let analysis paralysis keep you from doing something. As you've
> seen, those of us with the microdrive are happy, usually very happy,
> with it. There are a lot of other factors that you are going to take
> into account in making your camera selection. If I were doing it
> again I would look for a camera that had all the other things I want
> and could accommodate a microdrive and have a USB connection to
> access the microdrive from my computer (which is how m camera works
> too). But some of those small, high resolution cameras that fit in a
> shirt pocket are very attractive and if I have to buy another camera
> I will certainly look at them, regardless of the type of memory they
> use.
>
> Bernie
April 3, 2004 11:30:55 PM

No, not noisy. If it makes a sound I've never heard it.

SleeperMan wrote:
> I wonder...are noisy? I mean, do you hear it spinning? And when you
> power-up, do they start like those in PC's...that starting increasing pitch
> sound?
>

> Bernie typed:
>

>>Steve Morris wrote:
>>

>>>Hi
>>>
>>>Thanks for the reply.
>>>
>>>However, you may have answered my questions implicitly, but I wonder
>>>if you could clarify the following.
>>>
>>>How suseptible is a Microdrive from camera movement (e.g general
>>>handling, jolts etc) ?
>>>
>>>Any ideas on how using a microdrive as opposed to a solid-state CF
>>>card affects battery life? I would imagine a Microdrive uses
>>>significantly more power than a CF card because of the moving parts,
>>>but I may be wrong.
>>>
>>>Apologies if I'm repeating myself a bit..
>>>

>>I've only drooped my camera 2 or 3 times. No damage to the camera nor
>>the microdrive. The microdrive has almost never been removed from the
>>camera. One time when i did remove it, probably to answer a question
>>for someone, I did drop it accidentally. No damage.
>>
>>As far as power consumption and speed, I don't really know about
>> power. the specs for the microdrive, and the specs for various
>>cards, may
>>help you analyze those differences. I do not think it will be a
>>difference maker in your decision. Just be sure that you are using
>>rechargeable batteries, and if they're NiMH batteries that they are a
>>minimum of 1800 mah. Larger capacities keep becoming available.
>>
>>As far as speed, that is another tough question. I have seen
>>questions about the speed of CF cards, and they appear to vary by
>>manufacturer, and perhaps by size. If CF form factor stops being a
>>factor for you then you'll wind up considering other types of memory
>>as well, and have even more questions about the comparable speed of
>>each type of memory, each manufacturer, and each size card, as well
>>as the price of each.
>>
>>Don't let analysis paralysis keep you from doing something. As you've
>>seen, those of us with the microdrive are happy, usually very happy,
>>with it. There are a lot of other factors that you are going to take
>>into account in making your camera selection. If I were doing it
>>again I would look for a camera that had all the other things I want
>>and could accommodate a microdrive and have a USB connection to
>>access the microdrive from my computer (which is how m camera works
>>too). But some of those small, high resolution cameras that fit in a
>>shirt pocket are very attractive and if I have to buy another camera
>>I will certainly look at them, regardless of the type of memory they
>>use.
>>
>>Bernie

Anonymous
April 4, 2004 4:32:22 AM

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 19:27:32 +0200, "SleeperMan"
<SleeperMan@too.sleepy> vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

OK. Am checking it. I have to say I do NOT like being taken to a full
page ad haflway through loading the main page. Not a popup, but a
complete takeover of the page and a waste of my time. But the info
looks interesting.

BUM! he "flashes" over XD cards!...

>see this link about speed tests
>
>http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/flashcard-test/flas...

I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
.........no I'm not.
Anonymous
April 4, 2004 3:48:24 PM

Old Nick typed:

> On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 19:27:32 +0200, "SleeperMan"
> <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> vaguely proposed a theory
> ......and in reply I say!:
> remove ns from my header address to reply via email
>
> OK. Am checking it. I have to say I do NOT like being taken to a full
> page ad haflway through loading the main page. Not a popup, but a
> complete takeover of the page and a waste of my time. But the info
> looks interesting.

It's the price you have to pay if you wanna see speed comparisons between CF
and microdrive... :-)

> BUM! he "flashes" over XD cards!...
>
>> see this link about speed tests
>>
>> http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/flashcard-test/flas...

> remove ns from my header address to reply via email
>
> I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
> us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
> ........no I'm not.
Anonymous
April 4, 2004 3:49:17 PM

That's a bit funny...it does have spinning parts, so it should be audible -
at least a bit...But then i think sice it's so small...maybe not

Bernie typed:

> No, not noisy. If it makes a sound I've never heard it.
>
> SleeperMan wrote:
>> I wonder...are noisy? I mean, do you hear it spinning? And when you
>> power-up, do they start like those in PC's...that starting
>> increasing pitch sound?
>>

>> Bernie typed:

>>> I've only drooped my camera 2 or 3 times. No damage to the camera
>>> nor the microdrive. The microdrive has almost never been removed
>>> from the camera. One time when i did remove it, probably to answer
>>> a question for someone, I did drop it accidentally. No damage.
>>>
>>> As far as power consumption and speed, I don't really know about
>>> power. the specs for the microdrive, and the specs for various
>>> cards, may
>>> help you analyze those differences. I do not think it will be a
>>> difference maker in your decision. Just be sure that you are using
>>> rechargeable batteries, and if they're NiMH batteries that they are
>>> a minimum of 1800 mah. Larger capacities keep becoming available.
>>>
>>> As far as speed, that is another tough question. I have seen
>>> questions about the speed of CF cards, and they appear to vary by
>>> manufacturer, and perhaps by size. If CF form factor stops being a
>>> factor for you then you'll wind up considering other types of memory
>>> as well, and have even more questions about the comparable speed of
>>> each type of memory, each manufacturer, and each size card, as well
>>> as the price of each.
>>>
>>> Don't let analysis paralysis keep you from doing something. As
>>> you've seen, those of us with the microdrive are happy, usually
>>> very happy, with it. There are a lot of other factors that you are
>>> going to take into account in making your camera selection. If I
>>> were doing it again I would look for a camera that had all the
>>> other things I want and could accommodate a microdrive and have a
>>> USB connection to access the microdrive from my computer (which is
>>> how m camera works too). But some of those small, high resolution
>>> cameras that fit in a shirt pocket are very attractive and if I
>>> have to buy another camera I will certainly look at them,
>>> regardless of the type of memory they use.
>>>
>>> Bernie
Anonymous
April 4, 2004 5:57:38 PM

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 11:48:24 +0200, "SleeperMan"
<SleeperMan@too.sleepy> vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Not so happy about that.

On the past I have had pages that popped stuff up, but it was a
seperate window. In this cawse it seems very intrusive. I wait for
half of the info to load, then suddenly it's all wasted and I have to
watch an ad.

Show me the ad. I will be pissed off! Pop up an extra window. I _may_
read it. but make me seem to download half of what I am watching and
then suddenly lose it to an ad, and that info is suddenly on my "not
worth it" list.

>It's the price you have to pay if you wanna see speed comparisons between CF
>and microdrive... :-)

It's the price for increasingly intrusive methods of intrusion into my
info.

I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
.........no I'm not.
Anonymous
April 4, 2004 6:09:17 PM

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 11:48:24 +0200, "SleeperMan"
<SleeperMan@too.sleepy> vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

OK. Here's the thing!

I refreshed the site, and the "Problem" did not happen again.

I simply read the info.

I did not like the way the page first appeared, and the ad 'jumped"
it...but it did not happen again....

You justified it. Can you explain?

>Old Nick typed:
>
>> On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 19:27:32 +0200, "SleeperMan"
>> <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> vaguely proposed a theory
>> ......and in reply I say!:
>> remove ns from my header address to reply via email
>>
>> OK. Am checking it. I have to say I do NOT like being taken to a full
>> page ad haflway through loading the main page. Not a popup, but a
>> complete takeover of the page and a waste of my time. But the info
>> looks interesting.

I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
.........no I'm not.
Anonymous
April 5, 2004 1:09:40 AM

Old Nick typed:

> On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 11:48:24 +0200, "SleeperMan"
> <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> vaguely proposed a theory
> ......and in reply I say!:
> remove ns from my header address to reply via email
>
> OK. Here's the thing!
>
> I refreshed the site, and the "Problem" did not happen again.
>
> I simply read the info.
>
> I did not like the way the page first appeared, and the ad 'jumped"
> it...but it did not happen again....
>
> You justified it. Can you explain?
>
>> Old Nick typed:
>>
>>> On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 19:27:32 +0200, "SleeperMan"
>>> <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> vaguely proposed a theory
>>> ......and in reply I say!:
>>> remove ns from my header address to reply via email
>>>
>>> OK. Am checking it. I have to say I do NOT like being taken to a
>>> full page ad haflway through loading the main page. Not a popup,
>>> but a complete takeover of the page and a waste of my time. But the
>>> info looks interesting.

> remove ns from my header address to reply via email
>
> I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
> us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
> ........no I'm not.

Well, i clicked on (my) link and...damn...it's really an add! It' didn't
pop-up before. I must of caught some virus from your post... :-)
anyway, sorry - i saw it for the first time...and just press skip ad in top
right corner. what i wanted to give you is there after that.
Anonymous
April 5, 2004 5:17:52 AM

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 21:09:40 +0200, "SleeperMan"
<SleeperMan@too.sleepy> vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

>Well, i clicked on (my) link and...damn...it's really an add! It' didn't
>pop-up before. I must of caught some virus from your post... :-)
>anyway, sorry - i saw it for the first time...and just press skip ad in top
>right corner. what i wanted to give you is there after that.

Yes. Thanks for that. I found that button.

!