Surfing Restrictions

We have about 100 Dell Latitude D610 laptops running WinXP Pro that are used
for auditorium-sized presentations to about 200 entrepreneurs by our
lecturers and salesmen. Late last week, a lecturer was giving a professional
product presentation to an audience of 200 people and a spontaneous x-rated
browser window (ie, popup) displayed. The whole auditorium crowd exited in
disgust. Needless to say, we lost a lot of money that day. In more detail
about us, we are a 500+ employee company that relies on about 150 salesmen,
who use the laptops, to bring in our revenue on the front line. The salesmen
are divided into teams of 8-10 people per team. Each team has a 'sales
team-lead' that they report to on the road. The salesmen physically report
into headquarters once a week and turn in their laptops for routine servicing
(ie, cloning and Windows/AntiVirus updating). The 'sales team-lead' is the
only one with the laptop admin password and his sales team are Power Users on
the laptops. We gave the sales team-lead the admin password so that if they
were in a crunch with the laptop on the road, we as an IT Dept could talk to
them on the phone, have them log in as Admin and walk them through an
emergency install/uninstall or repair of the laptop. We haven't investigated
it but hotel connections/ISPs may or may not allow Remote Assistance from us
to them while on the road. I've been at the company as an IT support tech for
2 months and have 5 years tech break/fix & networked computer experience. My
superiors (System Admin, Network Admin, & IT Manager) have been at the
company for two plus years....On our old Inspiron laptops, we had an issue of
the sales teams surfing lewd sites on the 'company laptops' while on the
road. Last week, we gave the sales teams the BRAND NEW D610s and took the
vulgar issue up (again) with the sales team director. He gave them a
'talking-to' that's basically the equivalent of a slap on the wrist. We also
have a weak computer policy to boot. And as I alluded to earlier, ironically
the x-rated browser window displayed in public viewing for that VERY FIRST
TIME and only time. My question is, is there a method in XP or a third-party
software that will block all x-rated sites to computers/laptops that are not
permenantly connected to a secured LAN backbone? But not block unrated sites
that are not lewd and vulgar. Is there a software that tracts where users
have surfed irregardless of deleted IE history and deleted IE cache? Are
there examples of staunch computer policies online that can be used as
templates? Outside of firing them, what can we do to stop these 25 - 50 y/o
grown men from abusing our company equipment? Thanks in advance for your
assistance.

Norton Internet Security Professional
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pr/index.html

--