Regedit won't let me delete key

Was having a hardware problem and the manufacturer's tech support suggested
deleting a certain key if it was present and reinstalling the hardware. I'm
a technical user, quite comfortable with modifying the registry but I've
never come across this. I tried to delete the key and got an error box
saying can't delete key XXX, error deleting key. That's it, no further info,
just error deleting key.

I was logged in as the machine's administrator, double checked that I had
full permissions to the key, still error deleting key. Any ideas?

"Etrigan" <Etrigan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Was having a hardware problem and the manufacturer's tech support
> suggested
> deleting a certain key if it was present and reinstalling the hardware.
> I'm
> a technical user, quite comfortable with modifying the registry but I've
> never come across this. I tried to delete the key and got an error box
> saying can't delete key XXX, error deleting key. That's it, no further
> info,
> just error deleting key.
>
> I was logged in as the machine's administrator, double checked that I had
> full permissions to the key, still error deleting key. Any ideas?

Did you try it from safe mode?

Kerry

To assign permissions to a registry key
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_permit_key.mspx

To assign special access to a registry key
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_assign_specacc.mspx

To grant Full Control of a registry key
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_yield_own.mspx

To add users or groups to the audit list
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_audit_key_adduser.mspx

To add users or groups to the Permissions list
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_permit_key_adduser.mspx

To remove a user or group from the Permissions list
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_permit_key_remove.mspx

To take ownership of a registry key
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_take_own.mspx

--