8500dv - No surround Sound audio

I am trying to get an 8500dv card to work in an Widows XP Pro system but I'm
not able to get any audio from my surround sound speakers when playing the
TV. I am connected to an Onkyo receiver using a Fiber Optic cable and it
works fine for DVD and music but not for TV. I am getting audio on the PC
speakers.

I have connected a cable from the CD Out port on the ATI card to the mother
board which started the PC speakers working. Prior to this I was not getting
any audio at all.

Any ideas?

Vic Spainhower wrote:

> I am trying to get an 8500dv card to work in an Widows XP Pro system but I'm
> not able to get any audio from my surround sound speakers when playing the
> TV. I am connected to an Onkyo receiver using a Fiber Optic cable and it
> works fine for DVD and music but not for TV. I am getting audio on the PC
> speakers.
>
> I have connected a cable from the CD Out port on the ATI card to the mother
> board which started the PC speakers working. Prior to this I was not getting
> any audio at all.
>
> Any ideas?

welp considering that the tv isnt broadcast in surround....
Anyway, all of this is basically a soundcard/speaker setup problem.
Methinks you should be reading the 8500dv manual

Gordon

I recognize that but I should get sound. I'm not expecting dolby digital
from the tv ...

"Gordon Scott" <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
> Vic Spainhower wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to get an 8500dv card to work in an Widows XP Pro system but
>> I'm
>> not able to get any audio from my surround sound speakers when playing
>> the
>> TV. I am connected to an Onkyo receiver using a Fiber Optic cable and it
>> works fine for DVD and music but not for TV. I am getting audio on the PC
>> speakers.
>>
>> I have connected a cable from the CD Out port on the ATI card to the
>> mother
>> board which started the PC speakers working. Prior to this I was not
>> getting
>> any audio at all.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> welp considering that the tv isnt broadcast in surround....
> Anyway, all of this is basically a soundcard/speaker setup problem.
> Methinks you should be reading the 8500dv manual
>
> Gordon

"Gordon Scott" <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
> Vic Spainhower wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to get an 8500dv card to work in an Widows XP Pro system but
I'm
> > not able to get any audio from my surround sound speakers when playing
the
> > TV. I am connected to an Onkyo receiver using a Fiber Optic cable and it
> > works fine for DVD and music but not for TV. I am getting audio on the
PC
> > speakers.
> >
> > I have connected a cable from the CD Out port on the ATI card to the
mother
> > board which started the PC speakers working. Prior to this I was not
getting
> > any audio at all.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> welp considering that the tv isnt broadcast in surround....
> Anyway, all of this is basically a soundcard/speaker setup problem.
> Methinks you should be reading the 8500dv manual
>
> Gordon

Not exactly. The TV can put out Dolby Surround Sound but its analog not
digital. This works on my AIW 128 Pro even.
The DVD player is Digital Surround Sound and is being output on the
AC-3(Fiber Optic cable)connection. To get the analog Surround Sound you'll
need to run the line out from your sound card to your receiver instead of
the PC speakers. Unless the 8500DV can digitize the analog sound from the TV
and send it through the AC-3(Fiber Optic cable) that is.
ATI like most manufacturers only point out the features of their products
and leave it to the buyer to figure out these irritating details after
purchase.

>To get the analog Surround Sound you'll
> need to run the line out from your sound card to your receiver instead of
> the PC speakers

Thanks T Shadow, that did it. I think that I'd tried that before but didn't
hear anything. This time I cranked up the volume on the receiver and we have
sound. It seems to be limited by about 50% for some reason so you have to
have it quite a bit higher to obtain the same level.

Vic

"Vic Spainhower" <vic@showsec.com> wrote in message
> >To get the analog Surround Sound you'll
> > need to run the line out from your sound card to your receiver instead
of
> > the PC speakers
>
> Thanks T Shadow, that did it. I think that I'd tried that before but
didn't
> hear anything. This time I cranked up the volume on the receiver and we
have
> sound. It seems to be limited by about 50% for some reason so you have to
> have it quite a bit higher to obtain the same level.
>

> Vic

Sound card levels can be a real PIA. Make sure you have the volume turned up
on the connection you have between the AIW and the sound card( I use
auxillary) and wave&record if using VOD.

I also have an HDTV Wonder. Sound level still varies greatly from channel to
channel. Even with a digital feed?

HTH