HL2 crashes in playground

Hi, Half Life 2 keeps crashing in point assertion when I leave playground
and go into the restroom. Is there some kind of patch or something to fix
this? I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling

Thanks

Are you sure you're not going into the ladies restroom in error???

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:20:39 GMT, "Don Moore" <willyworm_99@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Hi, Half Life 2 keeps crashing in point assertion when I leave playground
>and go into the restroom. Is there some kind of patch or something to fix
>this? I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling
>
>Thanks

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, cigarette in one hand, favorite beverage in
the other, between the legs of a hot lady, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out,and screaming
WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

I didn't compose this but I love it!!!

Cannon Fodder wrote:
> Are you sure you're not going into the ladies restroom in error???

You're thinking of Deus Ex.

As for the original poster, I suggest not playing it in the playground.
It's best in a darkened room with a 5.1 speaker setup.

Maniac

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Potential newsgroup troll known as Cannon Fodder <gonfishn@airmail.net>
typed:

> Are you sure you're not going into the ladies restroom in error???

OMG when will you corectly reply on the posts?

*PW*

--
maniac/at/tweak.pl | www.m4ni4c.tk
"We are spiritual beings in physical bodies"

Don Moore wrote:
> Hi, Half Life 2 keeps crashing in point assertion when I leave playground
> and go into the restroom. Is there some kind of patch or something to fix
> this? I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling

Have you checked on the Steam support system?

Look here and search for 'crash' .. some of these answers may help.

http://steampowered.custhelp.com/

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

Don Moore wrote:
> Hi, Half Life 2 keeps crashing in point assertion when I leave
> playground and go into the restroom. Is there some kind of patch or
> something to fix this? I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling

Does it go to the "Loading..." message when you move down the corridor (don't
know about any restroom), and then just drop to the main menu? I had this
problem, but a reinstallation fixed it... eventually. When I reinstalled from
the retail DVD, Steam spent around 6 hours downloading additional material on a
64k dial-up connection. I have no idea what it was downloading (it didn't tell
me), but I can only think that it had identified a corrupt .GCF datafile in the
installation and downloaded a new copy of it (this was before any patches). It
worked fine after that.

Incidentally, if this happens to you, Steam's initial estimates of the time
remaining are way out. It suggested over 13 hours initially (I wish it had said
how much data it was downloading, so I could estimate the time myself). Let it
run its course, though if you have to disconnect, it will resume without any
problem.

--
Paul

"maniac" <maniac@USUNTOtweak.pl> wrote in message
> Potential newsgroup troll known as Cannon Fodder
> <gonfishn@airmail.net> typed:
>
>> Are you sure you're not going into the ladies restroom in error???
>
> OMG when will you corectly reply on the posts?
>
> *PW*

He doesn't HAVE to :) And neither do I. We get the senior discount see
:)
McG.

"Paul Catley" <paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Don Moore wrote:
> > Hi, Half Life 2 keeps crashing in point assertion when I leave
> > playground and go into the restroom. Is there some kind of patch or
> > something to fix this? I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling
>
> Does it go to the "Loading..." message when you move down the corridor
(don't
> know about any restroom), and then just drop to the main menu? I had this
> problem, but a reinstallation fixed it... eventually. When I reinstalled
from
> the retail DVD, Steam spent around 6 hours downloading additional material
on a
> 64k dial-up connection. I have no idea what it was downloading (it didn't
tell
> me), but I can only think that it had identified a corrupt .GCF datafile
in the
> installation and downloaded a new copy of it (this was before any
patches). It
> worked fine after that.
>
> Incidentally, if this happens to you, Steam's initial estimates of the
time
> remaining are way out. It suggested over 13 hours initially (I wish it
had said
> how much data it was downloading, so I could estimate the time myself).
Let it
> run its course, though if you have to disconnect, it will resume without
any
> problem.
>
> --
> Paul

Yeah it goes to loading and goes out to main menu. I thought this was a
bug. I tried skipping to various other places in the game by typing them
into the menu, but all other kinds of errors started happening like objects
showing on the screen as big red letter 'ERROR' , and enemies just standing
around and not fighting back. How did you get a hold of Steam to get the
new files? I coudn't find an email or a 1-800 number anywhere. Thanks for
responding!

"Don Moore" wrote

> How did you get a hold of Steam to get the new files?

Steam://validate 220

- Peter

shawk

Don Moore wrote:
> Hi, Half Life 2 keeps crashing in point assertion when I leave playground
> and go into the restroom. Is there some kind of patch or something to fix
> this? I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling
>
> Thanks

Have you tried validating your gfc files to ensure that there is no
corruption? Link for this is http://tinyurl.com/46pxm

Go down the list to HL2 and click on the link. Make sure you have
logged off and back onto Steam to ensure that you are up to date first.

HTH, Shaun

--
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

> Don Moore wrote:
> > Hi, Half Life 2 keeps crashing in point assertion when I leave
playground
> > and go into the restroom. Is there some kind of patch or something to
fix
> > this? I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> Have you tried validating your gfc files to ensure that there is no
> corruption? Link for this is http://tinyurl.com/46pxm
>
> Go down the list to HL2 and click on the link. Make sure you have
> logged off and back onto Steam to ensure that you are up to date first.
>
> HTH, Shaun
>
> --
> "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
> conscientious stupidity."
>
> Martin Luther King, Jr.

I did what you said and it's working great now. Thanks so much for helping
me Shaun.

Take care

shawk

Don Moore wrote:

> I did what you said and it's working great now. Thanks so much for helping
> me Shaun.
>
> Take care

Nice one. Enjoy the game. Shaun

--

Don Moore wrote:

> Yeah it goes to loading and goes out to main menu. I thought this
> was a bug. I tried skipping to various other places in the game by
> typing them into the menu, but all other kinds of errors started
> happening like objects showing on the screen as big red letter
> 'ERROR' , and enemies just standing around and not fighting back.
> How did you get a hold of Steam to get the new files?

I'm afraid I don't know. All I tried to do was reinstall from the DVD. Steam
went through the account validation process, then unlocked the encrypted files,
then started the massive download without so much as a by-your-leave.

I see you got there anyway by following Shawk's advice. There seem to be a lot
of dodgy DVD copies, as quite a lot of people reported the "playground problem"
in here when the game came out.

--
Paul