Intel to Bundle Liquid Cooler with Sandy Bridge-E CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Is it me or when Intel admits that they need a liquid cooler for their CPU it would indicate a design problem?

seana45

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Hmm, very intresting move by intel. I had a water cooled system many years ago, was nothing but headaches and a burnt CPU at the end of the day. Technology has come along way, I a definatly excited about the new intel system.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I thought this goes against Intel's goals for lower TDP ??
Water cooling not dead forever? 60c at idle not dead forever?
I loved water cooling before, but I'm tired of using so much heat just to check THG.
As much as I love OCing - Call me wierd, but I will love to see quad-oct core Intel or AMD (MAD) desktop CPUs run at 5w idle and 40w MAX on air at 4+ Ghz.. Yes - The basic heat sucks, but people shouldn't need more.

For now I'll assume the Core i7-3000 can run at full turbo speed on air... lalalalala

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]c123s123[/nom]Is it me or when Intel admits that they need a liquid cooler for their CPU it would indicate a design problem?[/citation]
Not at all. It's just another option for builders to use. Some people love to have their components cooled with water, some are fine on air. It's nice to have the option to choose now though.

Lyden

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
[citation][nom]c123s123[/nom]Is it me or when Intel admits that they need a liquid cooler for their CPU it would indicate a design problem?[/citation]

Admits what? the 2600k can be overclocked to 4.8GHz on their stock cooler. Hush.

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

No?

Overclocking headroom...

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
If that's what it looks like... I somehow see Corsair going after Intel for this one. The photo in this article looks a lot like the Corsair Hydro H70.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Is it me or when Intel admits that they need a liquid cooler for their CPU it would indicate a design problem?

Troll much? I'd rather Intel "admit" high TDP and bundle a liquid cooler than pretend that stock crap cooler they have since LGA 775 is enough! If I'm getting an "Extreme" CPU, I definitely don't care whether it's eco-friendly/power-saving/low TDP. All I want is that it smokes all other CPUs in all tasks and doesn't fry :)

Water cooling not dead forever? 60c at idle not dead forever?

Where do you get 60C on idle? :heink: Even when I had my gaming rig in a crappy generic case with stock cooler and BIOS glitch that upped the temperature readings by 10C, I had 48-55 on idle. Now I have 28-32C (would be lower, but my ambient is high). I can't imagine how shitty the cooling system must be for the CPU to idle @ 60C, and if you're hinting at the fact that "Extreme" CPUs have that kind of idle temps, it's only logical that Intel includes a liquid cooling solution.

Oh, and the design is lovely (didn't expect something as nice from Intel, their mobos looks like junk); hopefully the performance of both the CPUs and the coolers will be the same.

lassik

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
I remember when CPU's had tiny heatsinks with no fans at all...

In 10 years time they'll come with their own tank of liquid nitrogen!

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
This is silly. A good air cooler is still better than these entry level water cooling solutions.
Anyone serious about having a cool and quiet system is going to throw this thing away and buy something better.

[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]If I'm getting an "Extreme" CPU, I definitely don't care whether it's eco-friendly/power-saving/low TDP. All I want is that it smokes all other CPUs in all tasks and doesn't fry [/citation]

Call me weird, but I prefer my gaming PC not to sound like a vacuum cleaner.

namelessmuffin

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
It's you.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

I'm in! :bounce:

This will be better than the stock Intel cooler for sure. And since the CPU anyway costs $1K, they should include that at no extra charge (though I doubt it). If you prefer your gaming PC to not sound like a vacuum cleaner, drop your GPU... my Twin Frozr II fans sound like one when they're on 75%+, and I frankly don't care, I have good headphones.

Besides, the topic is the liquid cooler... it will be quiet.

lp231

Splendid
IMO the water cooling isn't because of TDP. I say it's more of a marketing
idea to lure in more buyers? Hey, if all Sandy Bridge-E Core i7 have the option of water cooling and the price is cheaper then you buying separately, I won't mind having one. :D
But from Intel's history, most of these items are 99% only available with their "extreme editions"... :\

[citation][nom]enewmen[/nom]I thought this goes against Intel's goals for lower TDP ??Water cooling not dead forever? 60c at idle not dead forever?I loved water cooling before, but I'm tired of using so much heat just to check THG.As much as I love OCing - Call me wierd, but I will love to see quad-oct core Intel or AMD (MAD) desktop CPUs run at 5w idle and 40w MAX on air at 4+ Ghz.. Yes - The basic heat sucks, but people shouldn't need more.For now I'll assume the Core i7-3000 can run at full turbo speed on air... lalalalala[/citation]
The new E series barely fits within their TDP specs, and they knew that their stock heat sinks would not do the trick, and that most people are going to get their own cooling solution anyways, so they went with a water cooler as it is cheaper then a bunch of copper for those who don't know how to pick a proper cooling solution.
These are going to be some hot CPUs for monster machines! I hope this is a trend that we see going forward; kick-ass consumer models like the SB procs, and then ridiculous high end systems like the E series. As previously benched these will not add much to gaming rigs (except for the added PCIe lanes), but these will give a huge advantage to the professional markets where rendering is paramount!

Also, that is some heartless marketing by intel. Not even 12hrs of the NDAs being lifted from Bulldozer, and the sad benchmarks being released and intel says "Oh, not only are we better, but we will 'give' you water cooling as well". Give AMD some time to lick their wounds before kicking them! lol
Rock on!

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Most comments here sound like they were written by 12 year old kiddies. The CPU is fast becoming a secondary consideration for a typical desktop computer. Call me silly, but the way I see it value is of primary concern in this day and age. Just about any modern CPU along with a kickass graphics card does the trick.

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]lassik[/nom]I remember when CPU's had tiny heatsinks with no fans at all...In 10 years time they'll come with their own tank of liquid nitrogen![/citation]

Why wait 10 years?

Lovolt

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
The_Trutherizer 10/12/2011 5:42 PM Hide Insert quote.
-0+ .Most comments here sound like they were written by 12 year old kiddies. The CPU is fast becoming a secondary consideration for a typical desktop computer. Call me silly, but the way I see it value is of primary concern in this day and age. Just about any modern CPU along with a kickass graphics card does the trick.

Wow, you must have written AMD's press release for Bulldozer.

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]The_Trutherizer[/nom]Most comments here sound like they were written by 12 year old kiddies. The CPU is fast becoming a secondary consideration for a typical desktop computer. Call me silly, but the way I see it value is of primary concern in this day and age. Just about any modern CPU along with a kickass graphics card does the trick.[/citation]

Not silly, just soft and poor...

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I wonder how the intel closed circuit water cooler will compare to the Corsair water coolers that have taken the cpu cooling world by storm.

The fact it is optional just says this is intels way of getting in the cooler market for real, rather than just rebranding crappy heatsinks with their cpus.

Status
Not open for further replies.