Win 7 on old computers?

How does Win 7 run on older systems? My sister is currently using a Dell Dimension 3000 with a P4 3.0 GHZ and 512 MB RAM. I'm going to upgrade her to 2 GB, and I'm wondering whether Win 7 would would run better than XP? She just needs to keep it running for Web browsing and Microsoft Office, and she doesn't have money for even a budget system just now, so I'm trying to help her out as best I can.
7 answers Last reply
More about computers
  1. 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7?

With that configuration I would say stick with XP.
  2. henydiah said:

I did, and it will run, but what I'm trying to find out is whether her system will run better or worse with Win 7 than it does with XP? For her system I would only try running 32-bit.
  3. min win7 32bit u must have RAM 1GB, & u use 512 not worth and very Slow for program, ucan chek when save your project ! & internet on win7 many feature manage
  4. henydiah said:
    min win7 32bit u must have RAM 1GB, & u use 512 not worth and very Slow for program, ucan chek when save your project ! & internet on win7 many feature manage

Sorry, I mistyped. I should have written that I'm upgrading her to 2GB RAM, not 2MB, so she would have more than enough memory. My bad!
  5. of course upgrade to 2Gb RAM very good!
    CPU p4/i5/i7 same if using internet & MS office, win7 specific CPU for support 32 or 64 just it.
    internet depend on speed internet
  6. If you're trying to save money there is no compelling reason to move to Windows 7 even with the upgrade to 2 GB of RAM. A Windows 7 license cost money.

Windows XP will perform better when you upgrade the RAM to 2 GB.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Windows 7