ATI Radeon 9800 Pro - please help

Adam

I'm thinking about getting the following video card:
- ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB 256-bit DDR 8x AGP

What is the "9800 SE Pro"?

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

( SE) It's the lower-end of the cards.

"Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote in message

> I'm thinking about getting the following video card:
> - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB 256-bit DDR 8x AGP
>
> What is the "9800 SE Pro"?

Do NOT get the "SE". It denotes a castrated memory interface (128-bit vs
256-bit) and possibly a slower clock speed. These shortcomings reduce the
card's speed to a 9600's level.

"Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote in message

> I'm thinking about getting the following video card:
> - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB 256-bit DDR 8x AGP
>
> What is the "9800 SE Pro"?

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote in message

> I'm thinking about getting the following video card:
> - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB 256-bit DDR 8x AGP
>
> What is the "9800 SE Pro"?

Usually SE versions have reduced memory bandwidth
like 128bit instead of 256 or 64 instead of 128
and maybe slower memory and core speeds too.

geoff

Adam wrote:
> I'm thinking about getting the following video card:
> - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB 256-bit DDR 8x AGP
>
> What is the "9800 SE Pro"?

9800SE = same as 9600XT

Just stay away from it...

go for the 9800 pro 128 mb, 256 bit.!!