CATALYST Windows 98 / ME 4.10 - Driver

For Windows 98 and ME users there are new drivers available at:
http://ati.com/support/driver.html

Sam
--
To mail me, please get rid of the BS first
14 answers Last reply

    Sam wrote:

    > For Windows 98 and ME users there are new drivers available at:
    > http://ati.com/support/driver.html

    I must be missing something obvious there. But they show the current catalyst
    package as 4.1.
    But right under that it lists the previous drivers as 4.3?

    To top that off awhile back I installed the recommended drivers there and they
    show as 4.7
    I guess the 4.7 must have been correct because there working good for my AIW
    with win98.

    It's really 4.10, not 4.1. Or rather, the previous versions were supposed to
    be 4.03, 4.07, etc... Blame ATi for this one.

    Anyway, please post here if 4.10 hoses your system. :-)

    "Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> wrote in message
    > For Windows 98 and ME users there are new drivers available at:
    > http://ati.com/support/driver.html

    Yes, but still no support for X800s! Do you think they will ever produce
    X800
    drivers for 98SE?

    Cheers,
    Paul.

    On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 08:24:38 GMT, Danny Greaves <dandog@pacbell.net>
    wrote:

    > I must be missing something obvious there. But they show the current catalyst
    >package as 4.1.
    >But right under that it lists the previous drivers as 4.3?
    >
    > To top that off awhile back I installed the recommended drivers there and they
    >show as 4.7
    >I guess the 4.7 must have been correct because there working good for my AIW
    >with win98.

    Nah, its just ATIs screwy version numbering.
    Latest version is 4.10, ie year 2004, 10th month.
    The version you are using is year 2004, 7th month.
    Hope this helps,

    Andy

    I was always under the assumption that the same Catalyst version for Win98
    and XP would support the same hardware...

    So what happens when you have a X800 under 9x and try to forcibly install
    this driver?

    "Paul Gardiner" <paul@no-spam-thank-you.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> wrote in message
    > > For Windows 98 and ME users there are new drivers available at:
    > > http://ati.com/support/driver.html
    >
    > Yes, but still no support for X800s! Do you think they will ever produce
    > X800
    > drivers for 98SE?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Paul.

    "Paul Gardiner" <paul@no-spam-thank-you.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> wrote in message
    >> For Windows 98 and ME users there are new drivers available at:
    >> http://ati.com/support/driver.html
    >
    > Yes, but still no support for X800s! Do you think they will ever produce
    > X800
    > drivers for 98SE?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Paul.

    I think it would be very unlikely for them to go much out of their way to
    provide dedicated X800 Win 98SE support because the kind of hardware that
    you plug an X800 into, would be more than capable of running a modern OS
    such as XP or at least 2000 without a problem and given XP is extremely good
    at running programs under Win 98 compatibility mode, why would anyone bother
    putting Win 98SE on such a new machine. If users can afford an X800 to begin
    with, they can almost certainly afford a new OS.

    If enough people request it then something may get done otherwise your best
    bet may be to upgrade your OS and any hardware you may have which won't work
    under the new OS. I've not tried but has it been confirmed that the current
    drivers don't work with an X800? Although the release notes for them say
    they're designed to support the following ATI desktop product family.... and
    it doesn't list the X800, that may be just because they're not optimised for
    such a modern card but they'll still work together OK.

    Paul (another one)

    "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Paul Gardiner" <paul@no-spam-thank-you.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> wrote in message
    > >> For Windows 98 and ME users there are new drivers available at:
    > >> http://ati.com/support/driver.html
    > >
    > > Yes, but still no support for X800s! Do you think they will ever
    produce
    > > X800
    > > drivers for 98SE?
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > Paul.
    > >
    > I think it would be very unlikely for them to go much out of their way to
    > provide dedicated X800 Win 98SE support because the kind of hardware that
    > you plug an X800 into, would be more than capable of running a modern OS
    > such as XP or at least 2000 without a problem and given XP is extremely
    good
    > at running programs under Win 98 compatibility mode, why would anyone
    bother
    > putting Win 98SE on such a new machine. If users can afford an X800 to
    begin
    > with, they can almost certainly afford a new OS.

    Its a dual boot system. I sometimes work on programs that have to be
    implemented
    slightly differently under 9X and XP, so I just like to be able to run 98
    every now
    and then.

    Cheers,
    Paul.

    > I was always under the assumption that the same Catalyst version for Win98
    > and XP would support the same hardware...
    >
    > So what happens when you have a X800 under 9x and try to forcibly install
    > this driver?

    Haven't tried forcing it. What do you think the best selection to match an
    X800 XT
    would be?

    Cheers,
    Paul.

    Assuming you find an X800XT for less than the price of a kidney...

    pair it with the 4.10 driver under Win98SE.

    If the drivers refuse to install because it cannot recognize the X800, first
    try doing it the old-fashioned way:

    Go to the device manager, select the currently installed card and choose
    update driver.
    Select the option to display a list of devices.

    If that still doesn't work, use DHMod

    http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/

    It is used to forcibly install newer drivers on laptops with Radeon GPUs.

    > Assuming you find an X800XT for less than the price of a kidney...
    >
    > pair it with the 4.10 driver under Win98SE.
    >
    > If the drivers refuse to install because it cannot recognize the X800,
    first
    > try doing it the old-fashioned way:
    >
    > Go to the device manager, select the currently installed card and choose
    > update driver.
    > Select the option to display a list of devices.

    Sort of works (in 2D), but is fairly unstable, and any use of OpenGL seems
    to freeze the system.

    Cheers,
    Paul.

    So the new Catalyst 4.10 driver for 98SE/Me isn't worth installing (especially
    since 98SE doesn't have system restore)?

    "Wblane" <wblane@aol.combotizer> wrote in message
    > So the new Catalyst 4.10 driver for 98SE/Me isn't worth installing
    (especially
    > since 98SE doesn't have system restore)?
    > -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

    But the 4.11 beta seems to work perfectly. I love ATI. :-)

    Thank's for the heads up on the Catalyst version numbers.

    I have never really had a problem with ATI drivers. (excluding pre-catalyst)
    But It sure is a pain in the a$$ on the MMC software after the constant
    uppdatesssss.

    --

    --end
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    > "Wblane" <wblane@aol.combotizer> wrote in message
    > > So the new Catalyst 4.10 driver for 98SE/Me isn't worth installing
    > (especially
    > > since 98SE doesn't have system restore)?

    You don't need it with 98SE. At least I never have.

    > > -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)
    >
    > But the 4.11 beta seems to work perfectly. I love ATI. :-)

    Except for one minor trivial detail: Doom 3 still looks and plays better
    under W2k/XP. Textures under 98SE are...meh...and the framerate is a little
    slower. Well, considering the game ain't even s'poto work under 98SE (but it
    does if you have a hex editor...), I suppose nothing to complain about here
    (multi-boot boxen), and the 4.11 beta works rather well indeed all around.
    The 4.10's are slower in every OS.

Radeon Windows 98 Catalyst Graphics