MS AntiSpyware performance degradation, even with agents d..

After I installed the MS AntiSpyware beta, I noticed that everything ran
slower. This was particularly surprising, because I deactivated the three
agents when I installed it. When I activate the three agents, everything
runs even slower.

I checked the Task Manager, and noticed that even with the three agents
deactivated, a program called gcasDtServ.exe was running, and when I did a
search on that name, it turned out to be part of the AntiSpyware package.
Another program called gcasServ.exe appears in the Task Manager when I
activate the agents, and disappears when I deactivate them.

What is gcasDtServ.exe doing, that it has a noticeable impact on performance
when no agents are active?

Thanks,
Chaz

Charles,

gcasDtServ.exe is the automatic updater. As you've already observed,
gcasServ.exe runs the 3 agents (aka Real Time Protection).
Do you have any Symantec products installed on the system ,
specifically, NIS or NSW ? If the answer is yes, suggest you attempt a
repair of MSAS by going to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel,
choose MSAS, click the Change button, then click Next, and choose the
Update option.

NOTE: It has been observed in the MSAS newsgroup that installing the VB6
runtime package *can* improve MSAS' performance due to other software
(re: Symantec) installing different VB runtime files. This mostly
affects the issue of missing Agents.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=22&p=1&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=&SrcFamilyId=&genscs=&u=%2fdownloads%2fdetails.aspx%3fFamilyID%3dbf9a24f9-b5c5-48f4-8edd-cdf2d29a79d5%26DisplayLang%3den

MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]

===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Charles Rogers wrote:

> After I installed the MS AntiSpyware beta, I noticed that everything ran
> slower. This was particularly surprising, because I deactivated the three
> agents when I installed it. When I activate the three agents, everything
> runs even slower.
>
> I checked the Task Manager, and noticed that even with the three agents
> deactivated, a program called gcasDtServ.exe was running, and when I did a
> search on that name, it turned out to be part of the AntiSpyware package.
> Another program called gcasServ.exe appears in the Task Manager when I
> activate the agents, and disappears when I deactivate them.
>
> What is gcasDtServ.exe doing, that it has a noticeable impact on performance
> when no agents are active?
>
> Thanks,
> Chaz

gcasDtServ.exe is the process that handles the desktop icon in the system
tray.

The product is in Beta so you should report your problems to the Beta
newsgroups here:
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

Or uninstall it and use something else until the product is officially
released.

BB