Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New 9800 Pro card nearing death?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 9:39:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Hi everyone

I have a brand new ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (256MB). It's just started freaking
out after a week of use, and I'd appreciate any advice that might help fix
it.

I installed it a week ago, and apart from a cryptic error message which I
just ignored in the install ('Severe: Zero Error Display') it seemed to work
beautifully with Far Cry and Doom 3. Nobody knows what the error means
(even ATI it seems), but perhaps it's not important.

Yesterday, I started getting vertical stripes of tiny dots all over the
screen. Now weird psychedelic effects appear on boot up. Booting up is
also accompanied with this error: 'VPU Recover has reset your graphics
accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands'.
This is shortly followed by another: 'VPU Recover was unable to fully
recover from a hardware deadlock, and has switched to software rendering.
To restore hardware rendering you must restart your computer.'

Rebooting doesn't fix it though and I go through the same error messages. I
uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them (yes, I'm on the latest
version). I get the same crazy dots, even when the drivers are uninstalled
completely. Google suggests a possible conflict with XP SP2, but I've had
SP2 longer than the card and it's been fine for the last week.

Any ideas anyone? I'm flirting with going back to nVidia, and I'm sure
nobody would like that!

TIA

Ben
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 11:35:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Ben C" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
news:cm5vs6$mlc$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Hi everyone
>
> I have a brand new ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (256MB). It's just started
freaking
> out after a week of use, and I'd appreciate any advice that might help fix
> it.
>
> I installed it a week ago, and apart from a cryptic error message which I
> just ignored in the install ('Severe: Zero Error Display') it seemed to
work
> beautifully with Far Cry and Doom 3. Nobody knows what the error means
> (even ATI it seems), but perhaps it's not important.
>
> Yesterday, I started getting vertical stripes of tiny dots all over the
> screen. Now weird psychedelic effects appear on boot up. Booting up is
> also accompanied with this error: 'VPU Recover has reset your graphics
> accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands'.
> This is shortly followed by another: 'VPU Recover was unable to fully
> recover from a hardware deadlock, and has switched to software rendering.
> To restore hardware rendering you must restart your computer.'
>
> Rebooting doesn't fix it though and I go through the same error messages.
I
> uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them (yes, I'm on the latest
> version). I get the same crazy dots, even when the drivers are
uninstalled
> completely. Google suggests a possible conflict with XP SP2, but I've had
> SP2 longer than the card and it's been fine for the last week.
>
> Any ideas anyone? I'm flirting with going back to nVidia, and I'm sure
> nobody would like that!
>
> TIA
>
> Ben
>
>

If it's new don't even bother trying to problem solve. Just take the thing
back and get a replacement.

Alternatively, I would have suggested overheating for the random white dots
and corruption. Although if it's apparent right from boot-up, it surely
can't be that. The fact that it worked for a week or whatever before doing
all this, pretty much points straight up to a hardware fault on the card.

Whatever, like I know... I've owned only two graphics cards in my life, and
both work fine (one being the 9800 pro) - so I'm really not a problem
solver.
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 12:08:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"The Berzerker" <Berzerker@wooooooo.com> wrote in message
news:41869e13$0$755$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
> If it's new don't even bother trying to problem solve. Just take the thing
> back and get a replacement.
>
> Alternatively, I would have suggested overheating for the random white
> dots
> and corruption. Although if it's apparent right from boot-up, it surely
> can't be that. The fact that it worked for a week or whatever before doing
> all this, pretty much points straight up to a hardware fault on the card.
>
> Whatever, like I know... I've owned only two graphics cards in my life,
> and
> both work fine (one being the 9800 pro) - so I'm really not a problem
> solver.
>
The dots are mainly red, like pinpricks in neat vertical lines all over the
screen. Moving the mouse messes them up a bit. There is even distortion in
DOS when the PC is booting up, with green splodges all over the screen and
DOS characters that aren't displaying properly with some bits of letters
missing and other extra bits appearing, many with a slight flicker. This
inspired me to run a virus scan, but all's clear.

The card might be dying. Just wondered if anyone had seem something
similar...
Related resources
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 12:54:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On 11/1/2004 1:08 PM Ben C brightened our day with:

>"The Berzerker" <Berzerker@wooooooo.com> wrote in message
>news:41869e13$0$755$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
>
>
>>If it's new don't even bother trying to problem solve. Just take the thing
>>back and get a replacement.
>>
>>Alternatively, I would have suggested overheating for the random white
>>dots
>>and corruption. Although if it's apparent right from boot-up, it surely
>>can't be that. The fact that it worked for a week or whatever before doing
>>all this, pretty much points straight up to a hardware fault on the card.
>>
>>Whatever, like I know... I've owned only two graphics cards in my life,
>>and
>>both work fine (one being the 9800 pro) - so I'm really not a problem
>>solver.
>>
>>
>>
>The dots are mainly red, like pinpricks in neat vertical lines all over the
>screen. Moving the mouse messes them up a bit. There is even distortion in
>DOS when the PC is booting up, with green splodges all over the screen and
>DOS characters that aren't displaying properly with some bits of letters
>missing and other extra bits appearing, many with a slight flicker. This
>inspired me to run a virus scan, but all's clear.
>
>The card might be dying. Just wondered if anyone had seem something
>similar...
>
>
>
>
If you're seeing graphical errors during the POST screen, you've got a
hardware problem with the card.

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 2:56:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

The only time i've had video corruption is when I installed a new
silicon image controller card on an old BX chipset motherboard - the old
bios{updated to the last revision} could not handle the modern
controller, pulling it solved the problem.

if you can raise the 3.3volt rail, try it, what mobo are you using?

Ben C wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I have a brand new ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (256MB). It's just started freaking
> out after a week of use, and I'd appreciate any advice that might help fix
> it.
>
> I installed it a week ago, and apart from a cryptic error message which I
> just ignored in the install ('Severe: Zero Error Display') it seemed to work
> beautifully with Far Cry and Doom 3. Nobody knows what the error means
> (even ATI it seems), but perhaps it's not important.
>
> Yesterday, I started getting vertical stripes of tiny dots all over the
> screen. Now weird psychedelic effects appear on boot up. Booting up is
> also accompanied with this error: 'VPU Recover has reset your graphics
> accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands'.
> This is shortly followed by another: 'VPU Recover was unable to fully
> recover from a hardware deadlock, and has switched to software rendering.
> To restore hardware rendering you must restart your computer.'
>
> Rebooting doesn't fix it though and I go through the same error messages. I
> uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them (yes, I'm on the latest
> version). I get the same crazy dots, even when the drivers are uninstalled
> completely. Google suggests a possible conflict with XP SP2, but I've had
> SP2 longer than the card and it's been fine for the last week.
>
> Any ideas anyone? I'm flirting with going back to nVidia, and I'm sure
> nobody would like that!
>
> TIA
>
> Ben
>
>
>


--
Mark H --- Frag on !
NF7-S v2.0 Win2k-sp4
WinXp-sp2rc2
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 5:28:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

> The dots are mainly red, like pinpricks in neat vertical lines all over
the
> screen. Moving the mouse messes them up a bit. There is even distortion
in
> DOS when the PC is booting up, with green splodges all over the screen and
> DOS characters that aren't displaying properly with some bits of letters
> missing and other extra bits appearing, many with a slight flicker. This
> inspired me to run a virus scan, but all's clear.

If your PC is not overclocked at all then I'd say that one of three things
were happening:

- Card not inserted into the slot properly
- Card is failing
- Not enough power (Try unplugging extra drives, etc. to reduce power usage
and see if symptoms change at all)
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 5:55:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Try disabling VPU Recovery.

"Ben C" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
news:cm5vs6$mlc$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Hi everyone
>
> I have a brand new ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (256MB). It's just started
> freaking out after a week of use, and I'd appreciate any advice that might
> help fix it.
>
> I installed it a week ago, and apart from a cryptic error message which I
> just ignored in the install ('Severe: Zero Error Display') it seemed to
> work beautifully with Far Cry and Doom 3. Nobody knows what the error
> means (even ATI it seems), but perhaps it's not important.
>
> Yesterday, I started getting vertical stripes of tiny dots all over the
> screen. Now weird psychedelic effects appear on boot up. Booting up is
> also accompanied with this error: 'VPU Recover has reset your graphics
> accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands'.
> This is shortly followed by another: 'VPU Recover was unable to fully
> recover from a hardware deadlock, and has switched to software rendering.
> To restore hardware rendering you must restart your computer.'
>
> Rebooting doesn't fix it though and I go through the same error messages.
> I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them (yes, I'm on the latest
> version). I get the same crazy dots, even when the drivers are
> uninstalled completely. Google suggests a possible conflict with XP SP2,
> but I've had SP2 longer than the card and it's been fine for the last
> week.
>
> Any ideas anyone? I'm flirting with going back to nVidia, and I'm sure
> nobody would like that!
>
> TIA
>
> Ben
>
>
>
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 11:00:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 21:08:55 -0000, "Ben C" <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>"The Berzerker" <Berzerker@wooooooo.com> wrote in message
>news:41869e13$0$755$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
>> If it's new don't even bother trying to problem solve. Just take the thing
>> back and get a replacement.
>>
>> Alternatively, I would have suggested overheating for the random white
>> dots
>> and corruption. Although if it's apparent right from boot-up, it surely
>> can't be that. The fact that it worked for a week or whatever before doing
>> all this, pretty much points straight up to a hardware fault on the card.
>>
>> Whatever, like I know... I've owned only two graphics cards in my life,
>> and
>> both work fine (one being the 9800 pro) - so I'm really not a problem
>> solver.
>>
>The dots are mainly red, like pinpricks in neat vertical lines all over the
>screen. Moving the mouse messes them up a bit. There is even distortion in
>DOS when the PC is booting up, with green splodges all over the screen and
>DOS characters that aren't displaying properly with some bits of letters
>missing and other extra bits appearing, many with a slight flicker. This
>inspired me to run a virus scan, but all's clear.
>
>The card might be dying. Just wondered if anyone had seem something
>similar...
>

Oh, yeah. First 9800 Pro I bought ....... same sort of problem from
day 1, took it right back. Second card was fine in 2d but got all
sorts of weird stuff when gaming in 3d. Took it right back 3rd card...
no problem. Have a 9700 Pro in one machine, 9800 Pro in another, and
an 9800 AIW in this one. Not even a little glitch in any of them in
close to a year.

BTW, during my earlier card problems is when I discovered that, my
local outlet for a major electronics retail chain (although they
vehemently denied it) would re-shrink wrap returns and put them back
on the shelf.

Villain
November 2, 2004 3:32:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
news:Jgyhd.3522$zx1.1609@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> On 11/1/2004 1:08 PM Ben C brightened our day with:
>
>>"The Berzerker" <Berzerker@wooooooo.com> wrote in message
>>news:41869e13$0$755$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
>>
>>>If it's new don't even bother trying to problem solve. Just take the
>>>thing
>>>back and get a replacement.
>>>
>>>Alternatively, I would have suggested overheating for the random white
>>>dots
>>>and corruption. Although if it's apparent right from boot-up, it surely
>>>can't be that. The fact that it worked for a week or whatever before
>>>doing
>>>all this, pretty much points straight up to a hardware fault on the card.
>>>
>>>Whatever, like I know... I've owned only two graphics cards in my life,
>>>and
>>>both work fine (one being the 9800 pro) - so I'm really not a problem
>>>solver.
>>>
>>>
>>The dots are mainly red, like pinpricks in neat vertical lines all over
>>the screen. Moving the mouse messes them up a bit. There is even
>>distortion in DOS when the PC is booting up, with green splodges all over
>>the screen and DOS characters that aren't displaying properly with some
>>bits of letters missing and other extra bits appearing, many with a slight
>>flicker. This inspired me to run a virus scan, but all's clear.
>>
>>The card might be dying. Just wondered if anyone had seem something
>>similar...
>>
>>
> If you're seeing graphical errors during the POST screen, you've got a
> hardware problem with the card.

I would tend to agree. The symptoms point to memory errors, probably caused
by some other fault on the card.

It is remotely possible that his monitor is playing up, however. If it is
an LCD monitor you can also get these effects if the monitor's electronics
get borked.

Chip
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 10:27:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote in message
news:mhChd.93258$Pl.45291@pd7tw1no...
> If your PC is not overclocked at all then I'd say that one of three things
> were happening:
>
> - Card not inserted into the slot properly
> - Card is failing
> - Not enough power (Try unplugging extra drives, etc. to reduce power
> usage
> and see if symptoms change at all)
>
Noozer - you rock! Well, the card looked and felt pretty solid in the
slot - it's held in place by a clip which was firmly closed, and I haven't
touched it since it was installed a trouble-free week ago. I also just
upgraded my PSU from 300W to 450W, so power's not an issue either. But I
took the card out and put it in again, and the problems have all gone away!
Hopefully it's fixed for good. Maybe that slot is not as firm as it looks.
If the problems come back then I'll probably send the card back, but for now
I'm a happy customer! Thanks very much for your help...

Ben
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 12:59:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Taking a moment's reflection, Ben C mused:
|
| I have a brand new ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (256MB). It's just started
| freaking out after a week of use, and I'd appreciate any advice that
| might help fix it. [snip]

I just replaced a GF4 Ti4400 with a 9800 Pro because the GF4 was doing
things similarly to what you are reporting. It was due to some faulty VRAM
on the GF4. It was actually my second GF4 Ti4400. The first one arrived
with one of the VRAM modules broken off the board. For kicks I installed it
anyway ... the replacement card (after a year of use) started showing the
exact same symptoms as the original card with the broken VRAM.
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 1:02:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Taking a moment's reflection, Chip mused:
|
| It is remotely possible that his monitor is playing up, however. If it is
| an LCD monitor you can also get these effects if the monitor's electronics
| get borked.

Though, if it were strictly monitor related, he shouldn't get getting
the VPU reset messages from the ATi drivers.
November 3, 2004 12:32:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"mhicaoidh" <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailSPäM.com> wrote in message
news:JtThd.288651$wV.283876@attbi_s54...
> Taking a moment's reflection, Chip mused:
> |
> | It is remotely possible that his monitor is playing up, however. If it
> is
> | an LCD monitor you can also get these effects if the monitor's
> electronics
> | get borked.
>
> Though, if it were strictly monitor related, he shouldn't get getting
> the VPU reset messages from the ATi drivers.
>

True. That would make the monitor theory pretty unlikely.

Chip
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 8:58:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Damn! The problem is back. Oh well. Time for a new card I think...
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 6:10:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Villain" <villain@weasle.net> wrote in message
news:n84fo0d42j9upeqqgt0vq8qlbmfuphle7p@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 21:08:55 -0000, "Ben C" <spam@spam.com> wrote:
>

>
> Oh, yeah. First 9800 Pro I bought ....... same sort of problem from
> day 1, took it right back. Second card was fine in 2d but got all
> sorts of weird stuff when gaming in 3d. Took it right back 3rd card...
> no problem. Have a 9700 Pro in one machine, 9800 Pro in another, and
> an 9800 AIW in this one. Not even a little glitch in any of them in
> close to a year.
>
> BTW, during my earlier card problems is when I discovered that, my
> local outlet for a major electronics retail chain (although they
> vehemently denied it) would re-shrink wrap returns and put them back
> on the shelf.
>


Hmmm.........shrink wrapping customer returns without testing! Sounds like
Best Buy or Fry's.



--
callsignviper


The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
the right questions.
November 10, 2004 6:06:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Ben C" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
news:cmb68e$dr4$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Damn! The problem is back. Oh well. Time for a new card I think...
>
>
I just saw this thread, I was getting the exact same problems. It turned out
it was a MoBo issue, try turning your AGP down to 4X and fast writes off.

See if that fixes things. My MoBo was Asus P4S800 SiS chipset.

Si
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 7:24:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Si" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:cmtap9$ose$1@sparta.btinternet.com...
>
> "Ben C" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> news:cmb68e$dr4$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
>> Damn! The problem is back. Oh well. Time for a new card I think...
>>
>>
> I just saw this thread, I was getting the exact same problems. It turned
> out
> it was a MoBo issue, try turning your AGP down to 4X and fast writes off.
> See if that fixes things. My MoBo was Asus P4S800 SiS chipset.
>
Thanks Si. I returned my 9800 Pro and a new card should arrive tomorrow.
I'm temporarily running with a cheap nVidia card and it seems fine at the
moment, but the screen colour in Windows occasionally gets a faint yellow
tinge to it and that might imply my problems go beyond the 9800 Pro I was
using. If I have any problems with the new card when I install it I will
look more closely at your MoBo theory. Did you ultimately replace your MoBo
or was this sufficient to fix it?
!