Thief 2/Catalyst 4.10 Issue

Truck

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002

Has anyone else had any problems since the new 4.10 drivers came out
with either ATI or OmegaDrivers? Here's the issue my setup's having
(I also sent it to ATI but figured I'd check here as well):

When using Catalyst 4.10 drivers and playing Thief 2, when you read
maps/scrolls/books/etc./anything that causes the screen to (I'm
guessing) change the refresh rate/resolution, the game will about 95%
of the time lock up with a black screen. If you hit the `Esc' key, XP
will then put you back at the Desktop where you can restart the game
and either load a saved game or quicksave. Uninstalling Catalyst 4.10
and reinstalling Catalyst 4.9 resolves this issue (either the ATI or
OmegaDriver version).

Thanks for any insight,

Wil

JohnS

Yep. I'm seeing it. I installed the 4.1 drivers on a new
system running ATI 9800 Pro, and the 3DMark2001
bench dropped from 18000 to 15,500 on an older
mobo ( about 2 months old ), and did the lockup thing
on a new mobo ( newest revision of the same one ).
I uninstalled 4.1 and reinstalled 4.8, and all is well.
Bench went back to 18000. Both mobos were AMD64
based from Gigabyte.

johns

Taking a moment's reflection, Truck mused:

| Thanks for any insight,

I have the demo, and it doesn't show that issue. I don't know if my
system changes resolution when I look at a scroll, but could it be the
resolution yours is changing to doesn't have a valid Refresh Rate assigned
to it? I know if you set the RF rate too high, the screen will go black.

"Truck" <noemail@thisho.use> wrote in message
> Has anyone else had any problems since the new 4.10 drivers came out
> with either ATI or OmegaDrivers? Here's the issue my setup's having
> (I also sent it to ATI but figured I'd check here as well):
>
> When using Catalyst 4.10 drivers and playing Thief 2, when you read
> maps/scrolls/books/etc./anything that causes the screen to (I'm
> guessing) change the refresh rate/resolution, the game will about 95%
> of the time lock up with a black screen. If you hit the `Esc' key, XP
> will then put you back at the Desktop where you can restart the game
> and either load a saved game or quicksave. Uninstalling Catalyst 4.10
> and reinstalling Catalyst 4.9 resolves this issue (either the ATI or
> OmegaDriver version).
>
> Thanks for any insight,
>
> Wil

Try asking in the thief-dark-project NG, or http://www.ttlg.com/
There could be a file edit you can do to fix this.
Top game BTW.

Truck

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002

Thanks, I did post on the Thief group but I will check over at TTLG as
well. I can't believe I didn't even think of them. Love those fan
missions there... :)

Wil

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 01:02:36 +0800, "Blahguy" <z@z.z> wrote:

>Try asking in the thief-dark-project NG, or http://www.ttlg.com/
>There could be a file edit you can do to fix this.
>Top game BTW.

Truck

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002

Thanks, I'll be reporting that others are seeing the issue as well
then. It's kind of what I figured since Thief 2 has been fine up to
this point with each and every ATI release and then suddenly bang.
Thanks again,

Wil

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:56:56 -0800, "johns" <johns123xxx@moscow.comxxx>
wrote:

>Yep. I'm seeing it. I installed the 4.1 drivers on a new
>system running ATI 9800 Pro, and the 3DMark2001
>bench dropped from 18000 to 15,500 on an older
>mobo ( about 2 months old ), and did the lockup thing
>on a new mobo ( newest revision of the same one ).
>I uninstalled 4.1 and reinstalled 4.8, and all is well.
>Bench went back to 18000. Both mobos were AMD64
>based from Gigabyte.
>
>johns

Truck

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002

I currently have it set for 85 (instead of 60, too `blinky'). I had
it up to 100 before but after the last system redo, I just set it at
85, which is well within the powers of the 9800 Pro and my Sony 200ES.
But thanks for the suggestion.

Wil

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 22:06:28 GMT, "mhicaoidh"
<®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailŠPäM.com> wrote:

>Taking a moment's reflection, Truck mused:
>|
>| Thanks for any insight,
>
> I have the demo, and it doesn't show that issue. I don't know if my
>system changes resolution when I look at a scroll, but could it be the
>resolution yours is changing to doesn't have a valid Refresh Rate assigned
>to it? I know if you set the RF rate too high, the screen will go black.

Truck

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002

This has been resolved with the 4.11 driver release. FYI :)

Wil