ATI TVoD + NAV Autoprotect = CRASH

I have an ATI All-in-wonder 9800 Pro, Cat4.10, MMC 9.02. (WinXP Pro, SP2+all
updates. P4 2.8 HT; 1GB DDR-SDRAM; 160GB Maxtor Ultra, 100 GB free.) I'm
running NAV2003 (all updates current).

Everything in the MMC was working fine, with one exception. Whenever I ran
TV on Demand with just a 5-6 second playback delay, after about a minute, my
PC would crash. (It freezes for a second, then the screen goes black, then
even the reset button doesn't respond--I have to power down the computer and
reboot. The Windows Event Viewer doesn't record the occurrence of any
errors.) Tweaking various ATI/MMC settings had no effect. But TVoD with zero
playback delay (live), or with about a 1-minute playback delay, works fine
(as does PVR recording).

After some trial and error, I discovered that if I disable comprehensive
scanning in NAV Autoprotect, and use SmartScan instead (so that the .vcr
file doesn't get scanned), the problem goes away.

I don't want to settle for this workaround, though, because I'd like to have
more robust virus scanning. (It would be ok if NAV let me selectively
disable scanning for .vcr files only, but it doesn't--rather, NAV SmartScan
requires specifying every file type that does get scanned.)

Is this a known issue? Is there any other known workaround or fix?

Oops, never mind. Even without the NAV scan, TVoD does crash (as does PVR
recording). It just takes a little longer--10 minutes or so, instead of one
minute.

However, turning of AGP Fast Write in ATI Smartgart seems to fix the problem
(so far at least--more than an hour of PVR and TVoD has gone ok), even with
Comprehensive NAV scanning.

"Gary Drescher" <GLDrescher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an ATI All-in-wonder 9800 Pro, Cat4.10, MMC 9.02. (WinXP Pro,
>SP2+all updates. P4 2.8 HT; 1GB DDR-SDRAM; 160GB Maxtor Ultra, 100 GB
>free.) I'm running NAV2003 (all updates current).
>
> Everything in the MMC was working fine, with one exception. Whenever I ran
> TV on Demand with just a 5-6 second playback delay, after about a minute,
> my PC would crash. (It freezes for a second, then the screen goes black,
> then even the reset button doesn't respond--I have to power down the
> computer and reboot. The Windows Event Viewer doesn't record the
> occurrence of any errors.) Tweaking various ATI/MMC settings had no
> effect. But TVoD with zero playback delay (live), or with about a 1-minute
> playback delay, works fine (as does PVR recording).
>
> After some trial and error, I discovered that if I disable comprehensive
> scanning in NAV Autoprotect, and use SmartScan instead (so that the .vcr
> file doesn't get scanned), the problem goes away.
>
> I don't want to settle for this workaround, though, because I'd like to
> have more robust virus scanning. (It would be ok if NAV let me selectively
> disable scanning for .vcr files only, but it doesn't--rather, NAV
> SmartScan requires specifying every file type that does get scanned.)
>
> Is this a known issue? Is there any other known workaround or fix?

TRENDING THREADS