ATI card advice please.

Jimmy

I need help with the purchase of a new card for video editing. I have a P4
2.4 G 1Gig Ram XP Pro system with AIW 7500 presently. Ii use Pinnacle Studio
SW with HFX Pro. I would like a card that works good with the HFX
application and can be used for a hardware accelerator. From what I
understand the 7500 will not do this. Can someone please point me to an ATI
card that would be best suited for this.

TIA
Jimmy

On 4/11/04 10:04 PM, Jimmy wrote:
> I need help with the purchase of a new card for video editing. I have a P4
> 2.4 G 1Gig Ram XP Pro system with AIW 7500 presently. Ii use Pinnacle Studio
> SW with HFX Pro. I would like a card that works good with the HFX
> application and can be used for a hardware accelerator. From what I
> understand the 7500 will not do this. Can someone please point me to an ATI
> card that would be best suited for this.

You didn't say whether you're using AGP or PCI.

The 'acceleration' that these sorts of cards provide is not the sort
that you might be thinking of. While it will measurably improve the
speed of your editing application's screen refresh and so on, it's not
the case that it will cut down on your render time, or avoid the need
for rendering, etc. There are higher-end cards that can do that.

I have done video editing on all manner of cards and it doesn't make
much difference. The speed of your front side bus, processor, RAM and
hard disk space make the world of difference.

Jimmy

Richard Cavell wrote:
> On 4/11/04 10:04 PM, Jimmy wrote:
>> I need help with the purchase of a new card for video editing. I
>> have a P4
>> 2.4 G 1Gig Ram XP Pro system with AIW 7500 presently. Ii use
>> Pinnacle Studio SW with HFX Pro. I would like a card that works good
>> with the HFX application and can be used for a hardware accelerator.
>> From what I understand the 7500 will not do this. Can someone please
>> point me to an ATI card that would be best suited for this.
>
> You didn't say whether you're using AGP or PCI.
>
> The 'acceleration' that these sorts of cards provide is not the sort
> that you might be thinking of. While it will measurably improve the
> speed of your editing application's screen refresh and so on, it's not
> the case that it will cut down on your render time, or avoid the need
> for rendering, etc. There are higher-end cards that can do that.
>
> I have done video editing on all manner of cards and it doesn't make
> much difference. The speed of your front side bus, processor, RAM and
> hard disk space make the world of difference.

Thanks for the info. This is what I have been needing to know. I am
specifically addressing the Hollywood FX application where the transitions
are constructed and the 'Hardware Acceleration' option in Studio 8. I had
read more or less what you stated to be true about no gain in rendering and
such. If there are no ATI cards that fit this need do you have any idea what
card I might be looking for?
Also if I upgrade my system from my 2.4 G to a faster one with HT would
this help? According to Nero Tools application my FSB is 133. I was sure it
was more until I ran that tool. I am using an Intel RG845GBV MB with 1G Ram.
I was looking for some way to find out exactly what memory is installed and
wonder if just a memory upgrade will needed.
Any more help with this would greatly be appreciated.

Regards.
Jimmy

Glitch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

Jimmy wrote:

> Also if I upgrade my system from my 2.4 G to a faster one with HT would
> this help? According to Nero Tools application my FSB is 133. I was sure it
> was more until I ran that tool. I am using an Intel RG845GBV MB with 1G Ram.
> I was looking for some way to find out exactly what memory is installed and
> wonder if just a memory upgrade will needed.
> Any more help with this would greatly be appreciated.
>
> Regards.
> Jimmy

133 MHz FSB means you have a 533 MHz FSB(133x4) and you can put CPUs up
to a 3.06 GHz or so.I'd say take a 256MB Radeon 9800PRO
for the card any you'll be happy.

Jimmy

Glitch wrote:
> Jimmy wrote:
>

>> Also if I upgrade my system from my 2.4 G to a faster one with HT
>> would this help? According to Nero Tools application my FSB is 133.
>> I was sure it was more until I ran that tool. I am using an Intel
>> RG845GBV MB with 1G Ram. I was looking for some way to find out
>> exactly what memory is installed and wonder if just a memory upgrade
>> will needed. Any more help with this would greatly be appreciated.
>>
>> Regards.
>> Jimmy
>>

> 133 MHz FSB means you have a 533 MHz FSB(133x4) and you can put CPUs
> up to a 3.06 GHz or so.I'd say take a 256MB Radeon 9800PRO
> for the card any you'll be happy.

Ah yes. Thank you. I will now look into a decent price for this card. Would
I gain much if I got 2 1 Gig memory cards as I only have two slots or would
that be a waste of money?

Thanks

Jimmy