Unknown Icons in My Network Places ?

In My Network Places under the Internet heading I find a number of folders
unknown to me like www.devonconsulting.com, www.hkkms.org etc.

I am using Windows XP professional SP2. I have Norton Antivirus2003
installed on my computer. Also i have IIS hosted on my computer and I am a
frequent internet user with broadband connection.

I am afraid if these folders are legitimate or is my computer being hacked.
I have no clue about it. Pls Help.

--
Thank You.

Saket Mundra
1 answer Last reply
More about unknown icons network places

    Before you start applying these instructions, remove
    the internet connection line from the computer.
    Click on the Start button\click on the Run command\type
    compmgmt.msc and hit enter.... in computer management
    double click on Event Viewer and select Security... the
    right pane should be empty .. if there is any event file there,
    read it and see if it makes any reference to the folders in My
    Network Places.. if it does, delete the folders in Netwowrk Places.
    If the right pane of Security is empty go to C:\WINDOWS\
    System32\drivers\etc\hosts\double click on the Hosts file, next
    click on select program from a list to open with, next select
    Note Block or Wordpad. Following is an example of what a
    normal Hosts file looks like. If any other URL addreses are
    in the file and specially if they match with the folders in
    My Network Places, delete those addresses, save changes
    to the file and exit, then delete the folders in My Network
    Places and create a backup of the Hosts file you have just
    modified, and keep it safe just in case you ever need to restore it.

    If you can't delete the folders don't worry, install the following
    spyware programs to disinfect your system.. if you had no
    problem deleting the folders, install the programs anyway to
    make sure no parasite is left hidding in your system. After
    you have installed the programs, update them and scan for
    spyware. Spyware programs are: Adaware SE Personal Edition,
    Spybot Search & Destroy, CWShredder, SpywareBlaster,
    HijackThis(use it as last resort).

    Lavasoft AdAware SE
    http://www.lavasoft.de
    Paquete de lenguajes para el AdAware SE
    http://download.lavasoft.de.edgesuite.net/public/pllangs.exe

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://www.spybot.info/es/download/index.html

    SpywareBlaster
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

    CWShredder
    http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.htm

    Hijack This
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe
    Tutorial: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/htlogtutorial.html )
    Tutorial: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=38752
    Tutorial: http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/#Top

    Following is how a clean Hosts file should look like.
    Any other IP Address is most likely a hacker's address
    and should be deleted.

    --------------

    # Copyright (c) 199#-200# Microsoft Corp.

    #

    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.

    #

    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each

    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should

    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.

    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one

    # space.

    #

    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual

    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.

    #

    # For example:

    #

    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server

    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

    127.0.0.1 localhost

    "Saket Mundra" <SaketMundra@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el
    mensaje news:B2083A4A-DD2E-4711-9B37-453A84E18B82@microsoft.com...
    > In My Network Places under the Internet heading I find a number of folders
    > unknown to me like www.devonconsulting.com, www.hkkms.org etc.
    >
    > I am using Windows XP professional SP2. I have Norton Antivirus2003
    > installed on my computer. Also i have IIS hosted on my computer and I am a
    > frequent internet user with broadband connection.
    >
    > I am afraid if these folders are legitimate or is my computer being
    hacked.
    > I have no clue about it. Pls Help.
    >

    > --
    > Thank You.