Win2k SSID

CB

I am testing a win2k sp4 laptop. I am trying to connect to a Wireless AP.
The AP is set not to broadcast its SSID. The win2k laptop is saying network
cable unplugged. I can not find where to set the SSID. I have started the
wireless configuration service, so i can not set the Auth Method to PEAP
with MSCHAPV2.

Can i set the SSID without a 3rd party software?

Hi,
As far as I know, on Windows 2000 machine you do need a 3rd party software
to configure wireless setting.

thx
Wai
--
Wai Kong [MSFT]

"CB" <cblairATfargo.com> wrote in message
>I am testing a win2k sp4 laptop. I am trying to connect to a Wireless AP.
> The AP is set not to broadcast its SSID. The win2k laptop is saying
> network
> cable unplugged. I can not find where to set the SSID. I have started the
> wireless configuration service, so i can not set the Auth Method to PEAP
> with MSCHAPV2.
>
> Can i set the SSID without a 3rd party software?

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

SSID is in one of the AP's menus that you can access with the browser by
outing the AP IP (look in the manual), no need for any software.

However, some Entry Level Wireless would not work with Broadcast Off. May
yours is one of them.

For other security measures see here:

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Wai Kong [MSFT]" <jiangwei@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> As far as I know, on Windows 2000 machine you do need a 3rd party software
> to configure wireless setting.
>
> thx
> Wai
> --
> Wai Kong [MSFT]
rights.

> "CB" <cblairATfargo.com> wrote in message
> >I am testing a win2k sp4 laptop. I am trying to connect to a Wireless AP.
> > The AP is set not to broadcast its SSID. The win2k laptop is saying
> > network
> > cable unplugged. I can not find where to set the SSID. I have started
the
> > wireless configuration service, so i can not set the Auth Method to PEAP
> > with MSCHAPV2.
> >
> > Can i set the SSID without a 3rd party software?

Mike

Splendid

With my experiences with my laptop;I've always had to broadcast the ssid for the first time only. It seems asif when the system learns it you can turn it off. I connect without the ssid, but only after the very first time. I honestly don't think your win2k has anything to do with it. Cheers;)

Go to Control Panel/Network connections - right click on the wireless connection and click on properties in wireless add the SID to Preffered .

CB,

Here are the two reg keys that i change before having a reboot

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0006\ssid=ssidwanted
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0006\ssid=ssidwanted

If only XP was that simple too...

Pete

"CB" wrote:

> I am testing a win2k sp4 laptop. I am trying to connect to a Wireless AP.
> The AP is set not to broadcast its SSID. The win2k laptop is saying network
> cable unplugged. I can not find where to set the SSID. I have started the
> wireless configuration service, so i can not set the Auth Method to PEAP
> with MSCHAPV2.
>
> Can i set the SSID without a 3rd party software?

On win2k, you must use 3rd party software to set SSID.
Actually this may be even *1st party* software - from the vendor of your netcard/driver.
WZCSVC in SP4 does not function as wireless configuration service in XP.
--PA

"Pierre Archambault" <PierreArchambault@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> CB,
>
> Here are the two reg keys that i change before having a reboot
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0006\ssid=ssidwanted
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0006\ssid=ssidwanted
>
> If only XP was that simple too...
>
> Pete
>

> "CB" wrote:
>
> > I am testing a win2k sp4 laptop. I am trying to connect to a Wireless AP.
> > The AP is set not to broadcast its SSID. The win2k laptop is saying network
> > cable unplugged. I can not find where to set the SSID. I have started the
> > wireless configuration service, so i can not set the Auth Method to PEAP
> > with MSCHAPV2.
> >
> > Can i set the SSID without a 3rd party software?

Hmmm.

Forgot to mention that the Wireless NIC we use is a 3Com X-Jack. After installing their drivers, we noticed that the utility they provide work so badly (and forget about support from 3Com, buying Cisco next time.) so we decided to use WZCSVC with W2K Sp4 instead.

Still, it's much simpler to shange the SSID under W2K SP4 thanin XP SP1. Until XP SP2 I guess.

"Pavel A." wrote:

> On win2k, you must use 3rd party software to set SSID.
> Actually this may be even *1st party* software - from the vendor of your netcard/driver.
> WZCSVC in SP4 does not function as wireless configuration service in XP.
> --PA
>
> "Pierre Archambault" <PierreArchambault@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > CB,
> >
> > Here are the two reg keys that i change before having a reboot
> >
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0006\ssid=ssidwanted
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0006\ssid=ssidwanted
> >
> > If only XP was that simple too...
> >
> > Pete
> >

> > "CB" wrote:
> >
> > > I am testing a win2k sp4 laptop. I am trying to connect to a Wireless AP.
> > > The AP is set not to broadcast its SSID. The win2k laptop is saying network
> > > cable unplugged. I can not find where to set the SSID. I have started the
> > > wireless configuration service, so i can not set the Auth Method to PEAP
> > > with MSCHAPV2.
> > >
> > > Can i set the SSID without a 3rd party software?

Unless your email ends with microsoft.com, you can forget about
running WZCSVC on win2k. Sorry for being rude...
The SSID parameter in the registry is proprietary to the card/driver, it is
not related and not needed for WZCSVC functioning.

"Pavel A." <pavel_a@geeklife.com> wrote in message news:uQqx3KOeEHA.2440@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Unless your email ends with microsoft.com, you can forget about

Oops. I meant, your *real* email address...
--PA