Nvidia 5200 Go AGP 4X Vs 128MB ATI Radeon 9600 PRO

Hi

Which video card should I get to run with my Centrino 1.6ghz processor?

64MB DDR nVidia® GeForceTM FX Go5200 Go AGP 4X

or

128MB ATI Radeon 9600 PRO

I was thinking that the bottleneck may be the 1.6ghz processor, so it
wouldn't make much difference upgrading to the 9600 pro graphics. Also, can
you EASILY overclock the Go5200 graphics to a similar speed, therefore
making upgrading to 9600 pro pointless?

Yes, I realise these a mobile graphics, but im considering this as part of
buying a notebook.

Cheers
Michael
4 answers Last reply
More about nvidia 5200 128mb radeon 9600

    HAHA 5200 is the worst card and a mobile version will be utterly
    terrible.... at least 9600 pro is respectable, for a notebook that is...

    id say, without any fact sheets in front of me, the 9600 pro is 3 times
    faster than the 5200 in games, though with the 9600 pro u cant play most new
    games anyway

    as with amd and pentium cpus, clock speed is not everything. if u oc the
    5200 to 9600 pro speeds, it will still be much slower.
    "Sharp" <Sharp@SharpAddress.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Which video card should I get to run with my Centrino 1.6ghz processor?
    >
    > 64MB DDR nVidia® GeForceTM FX Go5200 Go AGP 4X
    >
    > or
    >
    > 128MB ATI Radeon 9600 PRO
    >

    > I was thinking that the bottleneck may be the 1.6ghz processor, so it
    > wouldn't make much difference upgrading to the 9600 pro graphics. Also,
    > can
    > you EASILY overclock the Go5200 graphics to a similar speed, therefore
    > making upgrading to 9600 pro pointless?
    >
    > Yes, I realise these a mobile graphics, but im considering this as part of
    > buying a notebook.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Michael

    What games are you referring to?

    Sharp

    "Robert Jackson" <rabramson1@si.rr.com> wrote in message
    > HAHA 5200 is the worst card and a mobile version will be utterly
    > terrible.... at least 9600 pro is respectable, for a notebook that is...
    >
    > id say, without any fact sheets in front of me, the 9600 pro is 3 times
    > faster than the 5200 in games, though with the 9600 pro u cant play most
    new
    > games anyway
    >
    > as with amd and pentium cpus, clock speed is not everything. if u oc the
    > 5200 to 9600 pro speeds, it will still be much slower.
    > "Sharp" <Sharp@SharpAddress.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > Which video card should I get to run with my Centrino 1.6ghz processor?
    > >
    > > 64MB DDR nVidia® GeForceTM FX Go5200 Go AGP 4X
    > >
    > > or
    > >
    > > 128MB ATI Radeon 9600 PRO
    > >

    > > I was thinking that the bottleneck may be the 1.6ghz processor, so it
    > > wouldn't make much difference upgrading to the 9600 pro graphics. Also,
    > > can
    > > you EASILY overclock the Go5200 graphics to a similar speed, therefore
    > > making upgrading to 9600 pro pointless?
    > >
    > > Yes, I realise these a mobile graphics, but im considering this as part
    of
    > > buying a notebook.
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > > Michael

    "Robert Jackson" <rabramson1@si.rr.com> wrote in message
    > HAHA 5200 is the worst card and a mobile version will be utterly
    > terrible.... at least 9600 pro is respectable, for a notebook that is...
    >
    > id say, without any fact sheets in front of me, the 9600 pro is 3 times
    > faster than the 5200 in games, though with the 9600 pro u cant play most
    > new games anyway

    that`s a bit misleading to say the least. 5200 and 9600 chipsets will run
    all games available, the question is how fast? With a 5200 the answer is not
    very. With a 9600 pro the answer is faster. Neither of these GPU`s are the
    best out there but they are cheap. Both support enough features of DX9 to
    make games look good. A 9600pro is much faster than a 5200 (i`ve had
    both)and is a better bet than the 5200.

    5200 can play games like doom 3, bf vietnam, and others, BUT it will be like
    watching a slide show :)

    9600 pro will be better but not optimal..
    minimum these days is 9700pro
    "Sharp" <Sharp@SharpAddress.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Which video card should I get to run with my Centrino 1.6ghz processor?
    >
    > 64MB DDR nVidia® GeForceTM FX Go5200 Go AGP 4X
    >
    > or
    >
    > 128MB ATI Radeon 9600 PRO
    >

    > I was thinking that the bottleneck may be the 1.6ghz processor, so it
    > wouldn't make much difference upgrading to the 9600 pro graphics. Also,
    > can
    > you EASILY overclock the Go5200 graphics to a similar speed, therefore
    > making upgrading to 9600 pro pointless?
    >
    > Yes, I realise these a mobile graphics, but im considering this as part of
    > buying a notebook.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Michael

Radeon Graphics ATI