AIW 9800 pro TV-out/software question

Good morning, I come to the mountain top with a perplexity that may be no
more serious than a knat flying around your head, but it's drivin' me nuts.

I have the TV out going to the big screen from my AIW 9800 Pro. 99% of
everything works great, *except* I can't view DVD's, MPEG's, etc on the TV.

I can see my interface just fine. I'm using WMP, Winamp, and DIVX player.
Everything looks great on the monitor, and all the interfaces show on the
big screen, I use it for surfing now, but if I'm playing a DVD on the
computer, an MPEG file that I've downloaded, an MPEG that I've captured to
go to DVD, no matter what I play or what I use to play it, I see everything
but the movie itself on the TV screen. Computer Monitor, couldn't be better,
TV, zip, nada, ain't happening.

Video-in and Video-out from the card to TV are 25ft Monster cable
super-video cables. Pristine video except for the glitch mention. No
noticible loss of detail in transfer at all.

What is the reason for this and is there a solution?

Barton 3200+
2-512's in dual channel mode
Asus A7N8X-E deluxe
Using on-board sound (no sync problems)
Antec pro case w/400 watter
2 160 gig SATA's in non-raid mode
Win XP Pro w/all updates
Viewsonic P225f
The usual bloatware.

TIA

In article <Np2jd.3158$Jw.2184@fe41.usenetserver.com>, Muerta says...
> Good morning, I come to the mountain top with a perplexity that may be no
> more serious than a knat flying around your head, but it's drivin' me nuts.
>
> I have the TV out going to the big screen from my AIW 9800 Pro. 99% of
> everything works great, *except* I can't view DVD's, MPEG's, etc on the TV.
>
> What is the reason for this and is there a solution?

You need to set the TV as the primary display. Then when you'll play
them, you'll have the opposite effect, i.e they'll appear onthe TV but
it'll be a black box on the PC.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <Np2jd.3158$Jw.2184@fe41.usenetserver.com>, Muerta says...
>> Good morning, I come to the mountain top with a perplexity that may be no
>> more serious than a knat flying around your head, but it's drivin' me
>> nuts.
>>
>> I have the TV out going to the big screen from my AIW 9800 Pro. 99% of
>> everything works great, *except* I can't view DVD's, MPEG's, etc on the
>> TV.
>>
>> What is the reason for this and is there a solution?
>>
> You need to set the TV as the primary display. Then when you'll play
> them, you'll have the opposite effect, i.e they'll appear onthe TV but
> it'll be a black box on the PC.
>
> --
> Conor
>
> Opinions personal, facts suspect.

Thank-you, Conor, rather weird. No problems with anything since configuring
this, except that. Found it strange that I could view anything, my photo
folders, all interfaces, anything *except* playback of mpeg files.

Live & learn, I guess.

gw

Hey Conor,

What kind of big screen do you have that running out to? I have a 55" and
have thought about it... Worth it then?

Thanks,

gw
"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <Np2jd.3158$Jw.2184@fe41.usenetserver.com>, Muerta says...
>> Good morning, I come to the mountain top with a perplexity that may be no
>> more serious than a knat flying around your head, but it's drivin' me
>> nuts.
>>
>> I have the TV out going to the big screen from my AIW 9800 Pro. 99% of
>> everything works great, *except* I can't view DVD's, MPEG's, etc on the
>> TV.
>>
>> What is the reason for this and is there a solution?
>>
> You need to set the TV as the primary display. Then when you'll play
> them, you'll have the opposite effect, i.e they'll appear onthe TV but
> it'll be a black box on the PC.
>
> --
> Conor
>
> Opinions personal, facts suspect.

Actually, gw, that was me. I run it to a Toshiba 52' crt rear projection,
I'm just not fond of plasma's 'n' stuff, can't get used to the blacks.

As mentioned, I have 25' monster cable super-video cables coming from my sat
receiver to the card, then back out to one of the inputs on the Toshiba. I
have no complaints at all. Nice to sit with the wife and surf from the
recliner, look over the latest batch of digital photo's we've gone out and
shot, whatever. Takes a little color balancing on the TV input. I use Avia
Home Theatre DVD for that.

Does it compare to the 22" Viewsonic P225f that I use? No way, naturally.
The Viewsonic is very obviously going to blow it away, but then I gotta
worry about knocking my cocktail over on the computer desk ;)

In article <CQgjd.14799$Se7.5220@fe50.usenetserver.com>, Muerta says...

> Thank-you, Conor, rather weird. No problems with anything since configuring
> this, except that. Found it strange that I could view anything, my photo
> folders, all interfaces, anything *except* playback of mpeg files.

No problem. I'd like to say that I found it using a methodical fault
finding technique but it was a random job on a laptop I had 3 years
ago.

--
Conor
conor.turton@gmail.com

Muerta wrote:

> Good morning, I come to the mountain top with a perplexity that may be no
> more serious than a knat flying around your head, but it's drivin' me nuts.
>
> I have the TV out going to the big screen from my AIW 9800 Pro. 99% of
> everything works great, *except* I can't view DVD's, MPEG's, etc on the TV.
>
> I can see my interface just fine. I'm using WMP, Winamp, and DIVX player.
> Everything looks great on the monitor, and all the interfaces show on the
> big screen, I use it for surfing now, but if I'm playing a DVD on the
> computer, an MPEG file that I've downloaded, an MPEG that I've captured to
> go to DVD, no matter what I play or what I use to play it, I see everything
> but the movie itself on the TV screen. Computer Monitor, couldn't be better,
> TV, zip, nada, ain't happening.
>
> Video-in and Video-out from the card to TV are 25ft Monster cable
> super-video cables. Pristine video except for the glitch mention. No
> noticible loss of detail in transfer at all.
>
> What is the reason for this and is there a solution?
>
> Barton 3200+
> 2-512's in dual channel mode
> Asus A7N8X-E deluxe
> Using on-board sound (no sync problems)
> Antec pro case w/400 watter
> 2 160 gig SATA's in non-raid mode
> Win XP Pro w/all updates
> Viewsonic P225f
> The usual bloatware.
>
> TIA

try enabling theatre mode in display properties control panel.

"Muerta" <not@home.com> wrote in message

> I have the TV out going to the big screen from my AIW 9800 Pro. 99% of
> everything works great, *except* I can't view DVD's, MPEG's, etc on the
TV.

I had the same problem until I realized my TV did not like the screen size
of the video. When I dropped the WMP window down in size the video
appeared. I ended up setting the TV window to 800 X 600 and all was well.

Jay

---

"Muerta" <not@home.com> wrote in message

> I have the TV out going to the big screen from my AIW 9800 Pro. 99% of
> everything works great, *except* I can't view DVD's, MPEG's, etc on the
TV.

> I can see my interface just fine. I'm using WMP, Winamp, and DIVX player.
> Everything looks great on the monitor, and all the interfaces show on the
> big screen, I use it for surfing now, but if I'm playing a DVD on the
> computer, an MPEG file that I've downloaded, an MPEG that I've captured to
> go to DVD, no matter what I play or what I use to play it, I see
everything
> but the movie itself on the TV screen. Computer Monitor, couldn't be
better,
> TV, zip, nada, ain't happening.

I had the same problem until I dropped the window size down of WMP or any
other program. I believe I set the display to 800 by 600 and all was well
or was it 640 by 480?

Jay

---

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <CQgjd.14799$Se7.5220@fe50.usenetserver.com>, "Muerta" <not@home.com> wrote:

>"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> In article <Np2jd.3158$Jw.2184@fe41.usenetserver.com>, Muerta says...
>>> Good morning, I come to the mountain top with a perplexity that may be no
>>> more serious than a knat flying around your head, but it's drivin' me
>>> nuts.
>>>
>>> I have the TV out going to the big screen from my AIW 9800 Pro. 99% of
>>> everything works great, *except* I can't view DVD's, MPEG's, etc on the
>>> TV.
>>>
>>> What is the reason for this and is there a solution?
>>>
>> You need to set the TV as the primary display. Then when you'll play
>> them, you'll have the opposite effect, i.e they'll appear onthe TV but
>> it'll be a black box on the PC.
>>
>> --
>> Conor
>>
>> Opinions personal, facts suspect.
>
>Thank-you, Conor, rather weird. No problems with anything since configuring
>this, except that. Found it strange that I could view anything, my photo
>folders, all interfaces, anything *except* playback of mpeg files.
>
>Live & learn, I guess.

No, you need to go into the display properties and then into OVERLAY , then go
down to the bottom where it says CLONE MODE OPTIONS and select THEATER MODE .

This outputs the overlay display (i.e. DVD and other video playback) only out
thru to the TV. This prevents the mouse and media player from showing up on
the picture while playing the video.

You should also set what type of tv you have , whether it is a 16:9 widescreen
tv or regular 4:3 TV.

TRENDING THREADS