My query is this. Is it possible to get administrative features such as
changing security permissions on XP Home. Could i also set user specific
permissions for file sharing ie full access for Admins and read only for
users etc

It is not possible to access Simple File Sharing checkbox to allow user
specific permissions to be set - are there any other ways because I don't
think you can create Power Users or Backup Operators in XP Home

Please help

Is it possible to load XP Pro over XP Home without over-writing all of the
files and programs and network already set up

How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

How to configure file sharing in Windows XP

XP Home is really limited, have a look at...

[[Doug's Windows XP Security Console allows you to assign various
restrictions to specific users, whether you're running XP Pro or XP Home.]]
Windows® XP Security Console
Version 1.4 - 10/26/2003
Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:452DDAC9-5032-4F38-9221-A14D632950AB@microsoft.com,
charris321 <charris321@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> My query is this. Is it possible to get administrative features such as
> changing security permissions on XP Home. Could i also set user specific
> permissions for file sharing ie full access for Admins and read only for
> users etc

[[Windows XP Home Edition-based computers always have Simple File Sharing
enabled.]]

[[Simple File Sharing is always turned on in Windows XP Home Edition-based
computers.]]
How to configure file sharing in Windows XP

No. The Power Users group doesn't exist on WINDOWS XP Home Edition.

Backup Operators, Power Users, and Replicator groups from Windows 2000/XP
Pro are missing from Home Edition.

Local Users and Groups will popup an error in XP Home.

[[In Windows XP Home Edition, the Computer Management snap-in does not
display the Local Users and Groups node. The Local Users and Groups snap-in
cannot be added to a custom snap-in. This behavior is a limitation of
Windows XP Home Edition. It is not caused by Simple File Sharing.]]

[[The userpasswords2 applet should not be used on WINDOWS XP Home Edition as
a tool to edit or modify users. It is reserved for WINDOWS XP Professional
Edition. The reason for this is that userpasswords2 allows the user to
access to the 'Power Users' group which doesn't exist on WINDOWS XP Home
Edition.]]

[[This computer is running Windows XP Home Edition. This snapin may not be
used with that version of Windows. To manage user accounts for this
computer, use the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:3AD87FF8-109C-4A58-8BD2-099FAAEC2A52@microsoft.com,
charris321 <charris321@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> It is not possible to access Simple File Sharing checkbox to allow user
> specific permissions to be set - are there any other ways because I don't
> think you can create Power Users or Backup Operators in XP Home
>
> Please help

is it posible to reinstall XP Pro over XP Home without ruining existing
programs files and network connections.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [[Windows XP Home Edition-based computers always have Simple File Sharing
> enabled.]]
>
> [[Simple File Sharing is always turned on in Windows XP Home Edition-based
> computers.]]
> How to configure file sharing in Windows XP
>
> No. The Power Users group doesn't exist on WINDOWS XP Home Edition.
>
> Backup Operators, Power Users, and Replicator groups from Windows 2000/XP
> Pro are missing from Home Edition.
>
> Local Users and Groups will popup an error in XP Home.
>
> [[In Windows XP Home Edition, the Computer Management snap-in does not
> display the Local Users and Groups node. The Local Users and Groups snap-in
> cannot be added to a custom snap-in. This behavior is a limitation of
> Windows XP Home Edition. It is not caused by Simple File Sharing.]]
>
> [[The userpasswords2 applet should not be used on WINDOWS XP Home Edition as
> a tool to edit or modify users. It is reserved for WINDOWS XP Professional
> Edition. The reason for this is that userpasswords2 allows the user to
> access to the 'Power Users' group which doesn't exist on WINDOWS XP Home
> Edition.]]
>
> [[This computer is running Windows XP Home Edition. This snapin may not be
> used with that version of Windows. To manage user accounts for this
> computer, use the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel]]
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:3AD87FF8-109C-4A58-8BD2-099FAAEC2A52@microsoft.com,
> charris321 <charris321@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > It is not possible to access Simple File Sharing checkbox to allow user
> > specific permissions to be set - are there any other ways because I don't
> > think you can create Power Users or Backup Operators in XP Home
> >
> > Please help

You can do an Upgrade from Windows XP Home Edition to Windows XP
Professional.

It is best to save any data that you do not want to lose, just in case. You
never know if you might have a power outage while you are upgrading, for
example.

If your computer came with Windows XP preinstalled by a computer
manufacturer, see this article...

You May Lose Data or Program Settings After Reinstalling, Repairing, or
Upgrading Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;312369

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.