Doom 3 or Far Cry - Slower System

I just traded in a wonky 8500 for a 9800Pro. Thanks Future Shop Product
Service Plan!

Anyhow, I got myself a copy of Doom3 at the store, but I've been thinking.
Based on my specs below, would I get more fun from Doom 3, or Far Cry? I
expect Far Cry would perform better, but will Doom 3 even be playable? I
have already bought Doom 3 but am thinking about not opening it and
returning it for a copy of Far Cry. What would you do: take a chance on
opening Doom3 and having it not run well (frustrating) or return Doom3 for
Far Cry and hope it is more fun?

BTW I really want to play Doom 3. I want to play Far Cry as well but not in
the same "dying for it" way.

Specs:

Win98SE on
P4 1.8 on ASUS P4T
512 MB PC800 RDRAM
Radeon 9800Pro 128MB
SB Audigy

TIA
21 answers Last reply
More about doom slower system

    Doom3 and Far Cry play well at medium image quality settings on my system:
    XP2800 and 9800pro/128mb.

    The 9800pro card handles the DirectX9 graphics very well with both games and
    I get a decent frame rate on both games. However your P4 1.8 will hold your
    graphics card back a bit. Both games would still be playable although you
    may have to reduce the image quality a tad. I'd consider upgrading your CPU
    if you can.

    The minimum CPU for Doom3 is 1.5Ghz and it's 1Ghz for Far Cry. Have you
    noticed that Doom3 only states that it's compatible with Windows 2000/XP, so
    it might not even run on your system.

    Both games have next generation graphics but only Far Cry is next generation
    in terms of gameplay. Of the two Far Cry is easily the superior and most fun
    game to play!

    ....Dek

    PS - but neither game will touch HL2 when it comes out next week ...just to
    give you something else to think about ;-)

    >I just traded in a wonky 8500 for a 9800Pro. Thanks Future Shop Product
    > Service Plan!
    >
    > Anyhow, I got myself a copy of Doom3 at the store, but I've been thinking.
    > Based on my specs below, would I get more fun from Doom 3, or Far Cry? I
    > expect Far Cry would perform better, but will Doom 3 even be playable? I
    > have already bought Doom 3 but am thinking about not opening it and
    > returning it for a copy of Far Cry. What would you do: take a chance on
    > opening Doom3 and having it not run well (frustrating) or return Doom3 for
    > Far Cry and hope it is more fun?
    >
    > BTW I really want to play Doom 3. I want to play Far Cry as well but not
    > in
    > the same "dying for it" way.
    >
    > Specs:
    >
    > Win98SE on
    > P4 1.8 on ASUS P4T
    > 512 MB PC800 RDRAM
    > Radeon 9800Pro 128MB
    > SB Audigy
    >
    > TIA

    > Anyhow, I got myself a copy of Doom3 at the store, but I've been thinking.
    > Based on my specs below, would I get more fun from Doom 3, or Far Cry?

    Honest. Doom3 is a total bore. It is the same thing over and over and
    over. Far Cry on the other hand is really fun, and even a lot of fun to
    repeat with different and improving tactics at higher levels of difficulty.
    I'm ready for Far Cry 2. And I'm also ready for Doom3 to live up to
    the level of Doom from years ago. It did not. Far Cry has set a standard
    in gaming that nothing else is meeting.

    johns

    BeingAnonymousMakesMeObnoxious wrote:
    > BTW I really want to play Doom 3. I want to play Far Cry as well but
    not in
    > the same "dying for it" way.
    >
    > Specs:
    >
    > Win98SE on
    > P4 1.8 on ASUS P4T
    > 512 MB PC800 RDRAM
    > Radeon 9800Pro 128MB
    > SB Audigy

    Well I'd always choose Far Cry over Doom3,but both games would run at
    medium settings on your system.
    Far Cry is better than Doom3 in segments of story,missions,etc.
    I was really looking forward to Doom3 but when I got the game(pirated
    copy) I was so disapointed,I was really happy that I didn't buy the
    original.
    On the other hand Far Cry didn't have all the media hype but I turned
    out as an excellent game.
    I played both of them at Medium-High settings,1152x864 res.,4xTAA and 8xAF.
    Both games ran really smooth but Far Cry did run slightly better.
    My system:
    P4 2.8(Northwood 800) on Gigabyte GA-8I875Ultra
    2x512 DDR400 Viking
    ATI Radeon 9700PRO 128MB
    Built in sound card(Realtek ALC658)

    Thanks Glitch. I hope some other people chime in too.

    The other thing is Doom3 costs $70 while Far Cry is $50.

    "BeingAnonymousMakesMeObnoxious" <comeon@dood.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Glitch. I hope some other people chime in too.
    >
    > The other thing is Doom3 costs $70 while Far Cry is $50.

    Why so much??? Is that US Dollars?

    Far Cry performs better on ATI cards when you crank up the settings (but
    your CPU will be a factor)
    Doom3 better with Nvidia cards like the 6800...
    I have both and both games are great! Doom 3 is not a let down like others
    might say.
    They are both completely different and unique.
    I would check to see if anyone has played it on W98. Plus I would return it
    and check EBAY.
    I bought my copy for $32 a month ago.

    Shop around for a better CPU & you might upgrade to XP to run D3.

    >I just traded in a wonky 8500 for a 9800Pro. Thanks Future Shop Product
    > Service Plan!
    >
    > Anyhow, I got myself a copy of Doom3 at the store, but I've been thinking.
    > Based on my specs below, would I get more fun from Doom 3, or Far Cry? I
    > expect Far Cry would perform better, but will Doom 3 even be playable? I
    > have already bought Doom 3 but am thinking about not opening it and
    > returning it for a copy of Far Cry. What would you do: take a chance on
    > opening Doom3 and having it not run well (frustrating) or return Doom3 for
    > Far Cry and hope it is more fun?
    >
    > BTW I really want to play Doom 3. I want to play Far Cry as well but not
    > in
    > the same "dying for it" way.
    >
    > Specs:
    >
    > Win98SE on
    > P4 1.8 on ASUS P4T
    > 512 MB PC800 RDRAM
    > Radeon 9800Pro 128MB
    > SB Audigy
    >
    > TIA

    Doom 3 is great.. for about the first 30 mins then you'll quickly tire of
    it. Far Cry is the best in the long term though both games are capable of
    taxing the 9800 Pro.

    --
    TP

    Okay I'm gonna keep Doom 3 sealed, and exchange it for Half Life 2 next
    Tuesday

    I'm in Canada if anyone wonders why the price seems so high. I could
    probably get it $10 cheaper elsewhere but for some reason I love going to
    Future Shop.

    AW F IT IM INSTALLING IT....

    Taipan <SPAMTRAP@emptyhole.com> wrote in message
    > "BeingAnonymousMakesMeObnoxious" <comeon@dood.com> wrote in message
    > >I just traded in a wonky 8500 for a 9800Pro. Thanks Future Shop Product
    > > Service Plan!
    > >
    > > Anyhow, I got myself a copy of Doom3 at the store, but I've been
    thinking.
    > > Based on my specs below, would I get more fun from Doom 3, or Far Cry? I
    > > expect Far Cry would perform better, but will Doom 3 even be playable? I
    > > have already bought Doom 3 but am thinking about not opening it and
    > > returning it for a copy of Far Cry. What would you do: take a chance on
    > > opening Doom3 and having it not run well (frustrating) or return Doom3
    for
    > > Far Cry and hope it is more fun?
    > >
    > > BTW I really want to play Doom 3. I want to play Far Cry as well but not
    > > in
    > > the same "dying for it" way.
    > >
    > > Specs:
    > >
    > > Win98SE on
    > > P4 1.8 on ASUS P4T
    > > 512 MB PC800 RDRAM
    > > Radeon 9800Pro 128MB
    > > SB Audigy
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >

    > Doom 3 is great.. for about the first 30 mins then you'll quickly tire of
    > it. Far Cry is the best in the long term though both games are capable of
    > taxing the 9800 Pro.
    >
    > --
    > TP

    You haven't purchased the right to review games for people. Pay for the
    game or STFU.
    "Glitch" <Glitch_120@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > BeingAnonymousMakesMeObnoxious wrote:
    > > BTW I really want to play Doom 3. I want to play Far Cry as well but
    > not in
    >> the same "dying for it" way.
    >>
    >> Specs:
    >>
    >> Win98SE on
    >> P4 1.8 on ASUS P4T
    >> 512 MB PC800 RDRAM
    >> Radeon 9800Pro 128MB
    >> SB Audigy
    >
    > Well I'd always choose Far Cry over Doom3,but both games would run at
    > medium settings on your system.
    > Far Cry is better than Doom3 in segments of story,missions,etc.
    > I was really looking forward to Doom3 but when I got the game(pirated
    > copy) I was so disapointed,I was really happy that I didn't buy the
    > original.
    > On the other hand Far Cry didn't have all the media hype but I turned out
    > as an excellent game.
    > I played both of them at Medium-High settings,1152x864 res.,4xTAA and
    > 8xAF.
    > Both games ran really smooth but Far Cry did run slightly better.
    > My system:
    > P4 2.8(Northwood 800) on Gigabyte GA-8I875Ultra
    > 2x512 DDR400 Viking
    > ATI Radeon 9700PRO 128MB
    > Built in sound card(Realtek ALC658)

    "Taipan" <SPAMTRAP@emptyhole.com> wrote in message
    > Doom 3 is great.. for about the first 30 mins then you'll quickly tire of
    > it. Far Cry is the best in the long term though both games are capable of
    > taxing the 9800 Pro.
    >
    > --
    > TP

    That's what I thought at first but you have to persevere with D3. You just
    don't notice how subtly the levels changes and how atmospheric the game is
    until you're jumping out of your seat. (You know something is behind the
    next door and it still makes me jump off my seat :-) )

    I downloaded the demo of Far Cry and just can't see anything special about
    it. I've got a 9800pro and so 'yes' I can turn up the eye candy. But for ME,
    the gameplay is just 'so what..'.

    I must say that Far Cry is better it's just simply more than just shoot and
    kill it has a better story to it.

    Doom 3 was fun for a little while then got bord.

    i was able to put down Doom3 but i had to finish Far Cry

    "?uzzled" <not@got.one> wrote in message

    > "Taipan" <SPAMTRAP@emptyhole.com> wrote in message
    >> Doom 3 is great.. for about the first 30 mins then you'll quickly tire of
    >> it. Far Cry is the best in the long term though both games are capable
    >> of
    >> taxing the 9800 Pro.
    >>
    >> --
    >> TP
    >>

    > That's what I thought at first but you have to persevere with D3. You just
    > don't notice how subtly the levels changes and how atmospheric the game is
    > until you're jumping out of your seat. (You know something is behind the
    > next door and it still makes me jump off my seat :-) )
    >
    > I downloaded the demo of Far Cry and just can't see anything special about
    > it. I've got a 9800pro and so 'yes' I can turn up the eye candy. But for
    > ME,
    > the gameplay is just 'so what..'.

    I guess everyone likes something different - I did play Doom 3 for while
    after the 30 mins to see if it got any better but it all just felt too
    similar - perhaps I'll reinstall it and try again at some point - Far Cry on
    the other hand, whilst having some similar levels, featured a plot and
    gameplay that actually kept me wanting to play - the first FPS to do so
    since HL (though still not nearly as good as HL's plot/level design IMO).

    Looking forward to HL2 as are of the gaming universe I imagine - fingers
    crossed it's not a disappointment.

    --
    TP

    why choose? get both! >:D
    As with any of the new-engine games, Doom3 and FarCry are very scaleable -
    and D3 has a number of performance tweaks for it which, given your system,
    will make it very playable with some of the bells & whistles turned on. Your
    pc is an older system, save for the 9800pro, but I'm sure you could get some
    damn good playing out of either title with no hassles.
    As for which game to buy... read my first line, if you can afford it. But if
    I had to choose... well.. I cant coz theyre both excellent. Theyre both
    shooting games.. I dont understand people that use the 'theres no storyline'
    point because.. well you're shooting things and trying to stay alive. Why do
    you need a storyline!? :D Both games look excellent, D3 a little more so -
    despite it having little to no outdoor environments.

    "BeingAnonymousMakesMeObnoxious" <comeon@dood.com> wrote in message
    > I just traded in a wonky 8500 for a 9800Pro. Thanks Future Shop Product
    > Service Plan!
    >
    > Anyhow, I got myself a copy of Doom3 at the store, but I've been thinking.
    > Based on my specs below, would I get more fun from Doom 3, or Far Cry? I
    > expect Far Cry would perform better, but will Doom 3 even be playable? I
    > have already bought Doom 3 but am thinking about not opening it and
    > returning it for a copy of Far Cry. What would you do: take a chance on
    > opening Doom3 and having it not run well (frustrating) or return Doom3 for
    > Far Cry and hope it is more fun?
    >
    > BTW I really want to play Doom 3. I want to play Far Cry as well but not
    in
    > the same "dying for it" way.
    >
    > Specs:
    >
    > Win98SE on
    > P4 1.8 on ASUS P4T
    > 512 MB PC800 RDRAM
    > Radeon 9800Pro 128MB
    > SB Audigy
    >
    > TIA

    I just returned Doom3 and got Far Cry. Damn, it's sweet. The water is so...
    watery.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On 11/8/2004 9:22 AM BeingAnonymousMakesMeObnoxious brightened our day
    with:

    >I just returned Doom3 and got Far Cry. Damn, it's sweet. The water is so...
    >watery.

    You know there are demos available for both games.

    --
    Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
    www.inglostadt.com

    Um why don't you try playing Doom today and see how exciting it is. Not only
    technology but gaming expectations have changed since 1994. Face it, in
    comparison to today's game Doom would be boring.

    >And I'm also ready for Doom3 to live up to
    >the level of Doom from years ago. It did not. Far Cry has set a standard
    >in gaming that nothing else is meeting.
    >
    >johns

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "BeingAnonymousMakesMeObnoxious" <comeon@dood.com> wrote in message news:<Y4xjd.5567$hp3.568110@read2.cgocable.net>...
    > I just traded in a wonky 8500 for a 9800Pro. Thanks Future Shop Product
    > Service Plan!
    >
    > Anyhow, I got myself a copy of Doom3 at the store, but I've been thinking.
    > Based on my specs below, would I get more fun from Doom 3, or Far Cry? I
    > expect Far Cry would perform better, but will Doom 3 even be playable? I
    > have already bought Doom 3 but am thinking about not opening it and
    > returning it for a copy of Far Cry. What would you do: take a chance on
    > opening Doom3 and having it not run well (frustrating) or return Doom3 for
    > Far Cry and hope it is more fun?
    >
    > BTW I really want to play Doom 3. I want to play Far Cry as well but not in
    > the same "dying for it" way.
    >
    > Specs:
    >
    > Win98SE on
    > P4 1.8 on ASUS P4T
    > 512 MB PC800 RDRAM
    > Radeon 9800Pro 128MB
    > SB Audigy
    >
    > TIA

    I don't see why you can't run the games in the highest settings.

    Nick
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "Wblane" <wblane@aol.combotizer> wrote in message
    > Um why don't you try playing Doom today and see how exciting it is. Not
    > only
    > technology but gaming expectations have changed since 1994. Face it, in
    > comparison to today's game Doom would be boring.

    <snip>

    Surprisingly some people still play Doom/Doom2 and like it.
    Doom3 was good for the first 3 levels or so then it became annoying because
    nothing new happened. I really don't think it had done anything that hadn't
    been done before, but yes it did look good.
    IMHO Far cry was better.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Taking a moment's reflection, Son of Blahguy mused:

    | Surprisingly some people still play Doom/Doom2 and like it.
    | Doom3 was good for the first 3 levels or so then it became annoying
    | because nothing new happened. I really don't think it had done anything
    | that hadn't been done before, but yes it did look good.
    | IMHO Far cry was better.

    What Doom 3 lacks in two words: Monster in-fighting! I was so
    disappointed I couldn't get monsters to fight each other. Where were the
    hordes of Doom 2? Grrr. Looks great, but led to disappointment.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    I have both games. Went half way through Doom 3 and got bored. The eye
    candy is nice but the game play is repetitive and confined to corridors.
    Far cry on the other hand is challenging and there are lots of different
    strategies you can employ to get the bad guys. I think it looks nicer as
    well. With your specs you should be able to run the graphics on "high".

    JK

    "Nicolas The Great" <tq144@msn.com> wrote in message
    > "BeingAnonymousMakesMeObnoxious" <comeon@dood.com> wrote in message
    >> I just traded in a wonky 8500 for a 9800Pro. Thanks Future Shop Product
    >> Service Plan!
    >>
    >> Anyhow, I got myself a copy of Doom3 at the store, but I've been
    >> thinking.
    >> Based on my specs below, would I get more fun from Doom 3, or Far Cry? I
    >> expect Far Cry would perform better, but will Doom 3 even be playable? I
    >> have already bought Doom 3 but am thinking about not opening it and
    >> returning it for a copy of Far Cry. What would you do: take a chance on
    >> opening Doom3 and having it not run well (frustrating) or return Doom3
    >> for
    >> Far Cry and hope it is more fun?
    >>
    >> BTW I really want to play Doom 3. I want to play Far Cry as well but not
    >> in
    >> the same "dying for it" way.
    >>
    >> Specs:
    >>
    >> Win98SE on
    >> P4 1.8 on ASUS P4T
    >> 512 MB PC800 RDRAM
    >> Radeon 9800Pro 128MB
    >> SB Audigy
    >>
    >> TIA
    >

    > I don't see why you can't run the games in the highest settings.
    >
    > Nick
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "John Hall" <johnhall11@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<2fqdnYYrGNORGw_cRVn-rg@rogers.com>...
    > I have both games. Went half way through Doom 3 and got bored. The eye
    > candy is nice but the game play is repetitive and confined to corridors.
    > Far cry on the other hand is challenging and there are lots of different
    > strategies you can employ to get the bad guys. I think it looks nicer as
    > well. With your specs you should be able to run the graphics on "high".
    >
    > JK

    I have played both Far Cry and D3 (albeit I've finished Far Cry and
    have played about 2 hours of D3 so far). So far, I much prefer Far
    Cry's dynamics of game play, as well as the environments. You might
    say D3 is a little more superior technically, but that's only one
    facet of the game. From a gameplay standpoint, I think Far Cry has the
    edge over D3.

    I will agree that D3 is "scarier", although Far Cry definitely has its
    moments as well. I absolutely love the open environment of FC, and how
    that plays into the tactics of completing a level. How the levels and
    mission progression moves forward is very seamless and intuitive. I
    don't get the feeling of "okay, level 1 is over, now onto level 2".
    There is a great flow to the game.

    D3 is good. But if I had to choose, FC gets my vote.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Far Cry is definitely a different sort of game than Doom3 and/or Painkiller.
    You can't just run and gun in Far Cry because all too frequently the AI will
    flank you and beat you down.

    The demo of Painkiller didn't really turn my crank but the full game is fun.
    It's the mindless fun of Doom. I've been playing more Painkiller than Doom3 and
    Far Cry (aftermarket levels, some of which are good) combined lately.

    >Surprisingly some people still play Doom/Doom2 and like it.
    >Doom3 was good for the first 3 levels or so then it became annoying because
    >nothing new happened. I really don't think it had done anything that hadn't
    >been done before, but yes it did look good.
    >IMHO Far cry was better.

Radeon Graphics