Admin password does not work - XP Home Sp2

bill

I cannot set an admin password that will protect my computer from being
booted to the desktop. I can set a password for the screen saver or when
the computer comes out of standby, but both of these can be defeated by
rebooting.
I was the only user on this computer when I first got it a few years ago,
but now others are using it. I don't remember whether I had set a password
when first booting it up back then and then might have had clicked on the
Have Windows remember my password, so it never asked for it again.
I tried in the Control Panel - User Accounts to set an admin password and
afterwards it does say that it is Password protected, but it boots right
to the admin account without asking for a password. Is there some way to
undo having Windows remember my admin password, or get the Welcome login
screen back? I tried the "Change the way users login" Welcome screen
setting, but I don't get a password box in that either.

1. Go to Start->Run
2. Type control userpasswords2
3. Check Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer

Bill wrote:
> I cannot set an admin password that will protect my computer from
> being booted to the desktop. I can set a password for the screen
> saver or when the computer comes out of standby, but both of these
> can be defeated by rebooting.
> I was the only user on this computer when I first got it a few years
> ago, but now others are using it. I don't remember whether I had set
> a password when first booting it up back then and then might have had
> clicked on the Have Windows remember my password, so it never asked
> for it again.
> I tried in the Control Panel - User Accounts to set an admin password
> and afterwards it does say that it is Password protected, but it
> boots right to the admin account without asking for a password. Is
> there some way to undo having Windows remember my admin password, or
> get the Welcome login screen back? I tried the "Change the way users
> login" Welcome screen setting, but I don't get a password box in that
> either.

bill

On 4/17/2005 8:36 AM US(ET), Taurarian took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:
> 1. Go to Start->Run
> 2. Type control userpasswords2
> 3. Check Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer

Thank you very much. That works.

> Bill wrote:
>
>> I cannot set an admin password that will protect my computer from
>> being booted to the desktop. I can set a password for the screen
>> saver or when the computer comes out of standby, but both of these
>> can be defeated by rebooting.
>> I was the only user on this computer when I first got it a few years
>> ago, but now others are using it. I don't remember whether I had set
>> a password when first booting it up back then and then might have had
>> clicked on the Have Windows remember my password, so it never asked
>> for it again. I tried in the Control Panel - User Accounts to set an
>> admin password
>> and afterwards it does say that it is Password protected, but it
>> boots right to the admin account without asking for a password. Is
>> there some way to undo having Windows remember my admin password, or
>> get the Welcome login screen back? I tried the "Change the way users
>> login" Welcome screen setting, but I don't get a password box in that
>> either.

You're welcome.
Kaylene