Admin password does not work - XP Home Sp2

I cannot set an admin password that will protect my computer from being
booted to the desktop. I can set a password for the screen saver or when
the computer comes out of standby, but both of these can be defeated by
rebooting.
I was the only user on this computer when I first got it a few years ago,
but now others are using it. I don't remember whether I had set a password
when first booting it up back then and then might have had clicked on the
Have Windows remember my password, so it never asked for it again.
I tried in the Control Panel - User Accounts to set an admin password and
afterwards it does say that it is Password protected, but it boots right
to the admin account without asking for a password. Is there some way to
undo having Windows remember my admin password, or get the Welcome login
screen back? I tried the "Change the way users login" Welcome screen
setting, but I don't get a password box in that either.
3 answers Last reply
More about admin password work home

    1. Go to Start->Run
    2. Type control userpasswords2
    3. Check Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer

    Bill wrote:
    > I cannot set an admin password that will protect my computer from
    > being booted to the desktop. I can set a password for the screen
    > saver or when the computer comes out of standby, but both of these
    > can be defeated by rebooting.
    > I was the only user on this computer when I first got it a few years
    > ago, but now others are using it. I don't remember whether I had set
    > a password when first booting it up back then and then might have had
    > clicked on the Have Windows remember my password, so it never asked
    > for it again.
    > I tried in the Control Panel - User Accounts to set an admin password
    > and afterwards it does say that it is Password protected, but it
    > boots right to the admin account without asking for a password. Is
    > there some way to undo having Windows remember my admin password, or
    > get the Welcome login screen back? I tried the "Change the way users
    > login" Welcome screen setting, but I don't get a password box in that
    > either.

    On 4/17/2005 8:36 AM US(ET), Taurarian took fingers to keys, and typed the
    following:
    > 1. Go to Start->Run
    > 2. Type control userpasswords2
    > 3. Check Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer

    Thank you very much. That works.

    > Bill wrote:
    >
    >> I cannot set an admin password that will protect my computer from
    >> being booted to the desktop. I can set a password for the screen
    >> saver or when the computer comes out of standby, but both of these
    >> can be defeated by rebooting.
    >> I was the only user on this computer when I first got it a few years
    >> ago, but now others are using it. I don't remember whether I had set
    >> a password when first booting it up back then and then might have had
    >> clicked on the Have Windows remember my password, so it never asked
    >> for it again. I tried in the Control Panel - User Accounts to set an
    >> admin password
    >> and afterwards it does say that it is Password protected, but it
    >> boots right to the admin account without asking for a password. Is
    >> there some way to undo having Windows remember my admin password, or
    >> get the Welcome login screen back? I tried the "Change the way users
    >> login" Welcome screen setting, but I don't get a password box in that
    >> either.

    You're welcome.
    Kaylene

    Bill wrote:
    > On 4/17/2005 8:36 AM US(ET), Taurarian took fingers to keys, and
    > typed the following:
    >> 1. Go to Start->Run
    >> 2. Type control userpasswords2
    >> 3. Check Users must enter a user name and password to use this
    >> computer
    >

    > Thank you very much. That works.
    >

    >> Bill wrote:
    >>
    >>> I cannot set an admin password that will protect my computer from
    >>> being booted to the desktop. I can set a password for the screen
    >>> saver or when the computer comes out of standby, but both of these
    >>> can be defeated by rebooting.
    >>> I was the only user on this computer when I first got it a few years
    >>> ago, but now others are using it. I don't remember whether I had set
    >>> a password when first booting it up back then and then might have
    >>> had clicked on the Have Windows remember my password, so it never
    >>> asked for it again. I tried in the Control Panel - User Accounts to
    >>> set an admin password
    >>> and afterwards it does say that it is Password protected, but it
    >>> boots right to the admin account without asking for a password. Is
    >>> there some way to undo having Windows remember my admin password, or
    >>> get the Welcome login screen back? I tried the "Change the way users
    >>> login" Welcome screen setting, but I don't get a password box in
    >>> that either.

Computers Windows XP