Analysts Warns of High Levels of Chip Inventories

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm guessing part of it is due to people stalling till BD. The (unfortunate) results are out and I think this will no longer be a problem.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]bear95[/nom]I'm guessing part of it is due to people stalling till BD. The (unfortunate) results are out and I think this will no longer be a problem.[/citation]

I doubt it. AMD is a small player and its top end products are even smaller. Inventory buildups like this imply low demand in all segments of the industry. 98 percent of computer buyers have no clue what Bulldozer was, and only 25 percent of those people cared.

Given that anything better than a Core Duo or Athlon X2 with 2GB RAM will do just about anything 95%+ of users want and quickly. It is not surprising that sales remain slow. Heck a Pentium 4 and 1GB of RAM in XP is plenty for the majority of people.

With Windows 8 being streamlined to work well on 1GB of RAM and an ARM or Atom CPU it does not bode well for the hardware industry.

So there should be both RAM and CPU firesales coming up? I'm now expecting to hear about high GPU inventories. Considering how much this high inventory "problem" has been dropping RAM prices lately, I'm excited!

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
i don't know why but i'm having a feeling that this is the second time i've read this on tom's in the last month...oh...
*sees who's written it*
...never mind...

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]Given that anything better than a Core Duo or Athlon X2 with 2GB RAM will do just about anything 95%+ of users want and quickly. It is not surprising that sales remain slow. Heck a Pentium 4 and 1GB of RAM in XP is plenty for the majority of people.With Windows 8 being streamlined to work well on 1GB of RAM and an ARM or Atom CPU it does not bode well for the hardware industry.[/citation]

a p4 can barely run the internet anymore, till 2 years ago i was still using one, and anything flash spiked that thing to 100%

also, i want to wait till windows 8 till i reserve full judgement of bulldozer, granted im not in the market for a cpu yet, as my 955black will probably remain in my system till either the motherboard dies and i cant get a replacement that fits my 955, or something SHOCKINGLY fast comes about.

currently we are talking at most about 20-30% difference, and this in on operations that take less than a minute to complete. if the operations were more along the lines of an hour to encode music, or the like, than yea, i may go for a better cpu

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
still no compelling reason for a need to upgrade. Maybe if IBM released a scaled-down version of its Watson software that won in Jeopardy then we will have a need of a lot of those current overstocked chips.

goatsetung

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom] AMD is a small player and its top end products are even smaller.[/citation]

I read somewhere AMD has ~20% overall worldwide market share (higher for desktops, lower for servers, etc). That's a very big player, even if not the biggest.

goatsetung

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Anyway, we need AMD to keep Intel prices down.

Personally I tend to favor AMD because of their favorable price/performance ratio in the price segments I'm interested in - that is, CPU:s that are fast enough to run pretty much anything you throw at them, but aren't top of the line and therefore several hundred percent more expensive.

dfusco

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
I feel no need to upgrade my i7-860, 6 GB RAM rig. Neither SB or BD offer a compelling upgrade. So I'll be going at least 2-3 years without upgrading which is unusual for me.

DigitalKilla_FL

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
The US and the world economy is still in a slump. PC's, Tablets & Phones can already do all the things they are being used for. Why are people going to waste money to get a machine that will only do things incrementally faster?

I will drop a few hundred dollars on upgrades if it was like 50% or double the speed of what we have today. But I have to agree with everyone else on here, BULLDOZER IS AN EPIC FAIL!!!

I will be buying an Intel (2600K?) chip and the best GPU to play BF3 though.

IMHO the best investment I could make right now would be an SSD or maybe even a pair, that would be a nice speed boost :)

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Bulldozer is not an epic fail. It is what it is, and it is priced accordingly. If you prefer the kit Intel is offering, go buy it. No one is going to force you to buy an AMD processor, but I can assure you that if everyone stops buying AMD processors, then in the future, you WILL be forced to buy only Intel processors, and you WILL be paying through the nose for them. Consider that.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
I call BS on this. In early 2008 OEMs and consumers were expecting new line of Intel's C2D chips and now it's AMD's Bulldozer.

Status
Not open for further replies.