Sign in with
Your question

If you run AVG on Windows

Last response: in Windows 7
December 8, 2010 3:44:38 AM

If you run AVG, they have caused BSOD and NTLDR boot errors on most versions of Microsoft operating systems including Win7. The result: no boot. If you run AVG and can't boot, get to the AVG website to obtain repair instructions and download a boot repair for CD (burn an ISO) or a zip file for USB boot - the file is too big for a floppy.

More about : run avg windows

a b $ Windows 7
December 8, 2010 5:35:40 AM

About a week late and only applies to Vista and W7 but good advice anyway. The 3292 mess will not still be affecting people even if they've been away from a week - subsequent updates have cleaned it up. If anyone is still staring at a blank screen after updating AVG on December 2nd, there's a bit more on the subject.

I fixed two W7 systems which were affected by rolling back using System Restore from a startup DVD.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 8, 2010 6:42:35 AM

Thats what you get from free anti virus protection.
m
l
Related resources
December 8, 2010 10:16:58 AM

fowang said:
Thats what you get from crappy free anti virus protection.

AVG made a mistake, it happens even with MS but saying free AVs are crappy is just plain wrong.
AVG is normally quite a reasonable product, even the free version.
I find that I have had just as good protection from AVG and Avast (I also use Avira on my home server) as I've had from Norton and Kaspersky.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 8, 2010 10:27:29 AM

fowang said:

As opposed to? I also have free AV protection, but it's far from crappy.
m
l
December 8, 2010 12:29:26 PM

I also use free AV - Avira and MSE, both work well.
AVG was okay when I last used it a couple of years ago; don't know how good it is right now.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 8, 2010 12:33:34 PM

sidewinderdt said:

Hopefully not at the same time though (on the same PC I mean)?
m
l
a c 395 $ Windows 7
December 8, 2010 1:10:02 PM

i run avg free on my girlfriends computer which has vista and runs great!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 8, 2010 2:06:39 PM

eset is what i use.
m
l
December 8, 2010 2:24:07 PM

The paid version had the same error.
m
l
December 8, 2010 4:57:47 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Hopefully not at the same time though (on the same PC I mean)?
Not if you want to run your system at snail's pace at any rate :) 

But seriously, I'm amazed at the gentleman who said "crappy free AV protection". Avast along with Online Armor basically trumps most paid security suites. And really when the paid alternatives are McAfee (whom we pay to get infected) and Norton (whom we pay to bottleneck our systems by hogging resources). I think most people with the slightest idea 'bout online security on Windows based systems will choose free, fast alternatives.

IMO, Kaspersky's the only viable paid alternative in terms of speed, reliability and being value for money. (Never used Nod 32/Comodo personally, but heard and read a lot of good things 'bout 'em though).

Me, I use KIS on my own laptop (A lot of financial transactions - banking/trading), and MSE+Win firewall on mine and my Mom's desktops - Which basically suffices any need for 99% home PC's, I'd imagine.
m
l
December 8, 2010 7:01:21 PM

Avira works well with me, even the free one. Something must be wrong with your pc.
m
l
December 9, 2010 8:14:28 AM

sidewinderdt said:
AVG was okay when I last used it a couple of years ago; don't know how good it is right now.

Now latest version is very good and it is very fast .....it speeds up the computer speed.........and latest software of Avg i.e. Avg pc tune up ......also helps us to improve the computer performance ......
AVG is best .......i also uses this software ..and its most effective software of today's world.....:D  :)  ;) 
m
l
December 9, 2010 8:21:03 AM

frustr8ted said:
The paid version had the same error.

i m very confused y u paid for software.....?????
:p 
:sweat: 
u should download ur software with their pirate keys or with cracks...
u must downoad antivirus with their pirates keys or with cracks..
and u'll get free updates from the antivirus sites..
it good to be used pirate keys or crack .....its simple or easy.... :D  :na:  :sol:  :hello: 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 9, 2010 8:27:11 AM

vinit_07 said:
i m very confused y u paid for software.....?????

:

Because piracy is illegal and not supported on these forums. Read the rules before you post here again.

Besides, cracking an AV suite is probably the height of stupidity, since chances are it will come with a free virus included.
m
l
December 9, 2010 9:37:03 AM

@vinit_07 - Please enlighten me if I'm wrong, but since when has 'Vinit' become a female name?

@Herr_Koos - He (not she, I don't think) is Indian, where the avg monthly salary is around 80 US dollars (Per Capita GDP of $1000).

If you have to pay for every piece of software, you'll have to go without food (and clothing and lodging) for the whole year.

As it is, both hardware and software is so much more expensive than in the good 'ol US of A

Windows 7 Home Premium- $140 ($100 on Newegg)

Office 2010 Home and Student- Almost $200 ($110 on Newegg)

PC- $500

Total- 800 dollars or 10 months income.

Let's leave the rest aside. Before somebody judges people in the 3rd world for piracy, one has to look at the moral side of things not just the legal aspect.

At the same rate, Americans would have had to pay $35,000 for just PC+Windows+Office. (That would be 10 months income in a country where the per capita income is $40,000).

I hope there's a bit more understanding now :) 

But of course having said that Vinit, please erase your last post. If an unsympathetic moderator chances upon your post, you might just be in a spot of bother.

And btw, herr, "cracking an AV suite is probably the height of stupidity, since chances are it will come with a free virus included". I mean seriously?

Come on buddy, you can do better than that :D 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 9, 2010 9:42:33 AM

calguyhunk said:

And btw, herr, "cracking an AV suite is probably the height of stupidity, since chances are it will come with a free virus included". I mean seriously?

Come on buddy, you can do better than that :D 

I'm being deadly serious. More often than not, cracks will attempt to install a trojan of some kind.
m
l
December 9, 2010 10:04:16 AM

^Sure, even if your man has a blue skull beside his name or you've got an invitation code to software heaven or should I say Hell - that's where demons live, innit? :bounce: 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 9, 2010 10:09:49 AM

calguyhunk said:
^Sure, even if your man has a blue skull beside his name or you've got an invitation code to software heaven or should I say Hell - that's where demons live, innit? :bounce: 

No idea what you just said...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 9, 2010 10:15:57 AM

calguyhunk said:
Herr_Koos - He (not she, I don't think) is Indian, where the avg monthly salary is around 80 US dollars (Per Capita GDP of $1000).

If you have to pay for every piece of software, you'll have to go without food (and clothing and lodging) for the whole year.

All very sad, but when software is available for free there's no excuse for pirating commercial versions. And, as Herr Koos said, it's just asking for trouble to download cracked AV programs.
m
l
December 9, 2010 10:21:18 AM

No really, pirating AV software makes no sense, 'coz, as I've already said free AV+Firewall does the job better than most paid security suites.

So, it's really not out of necessity, but stupidity.

But Herr,
Herr_Koos said:
No idea what you just said...
With 2300 posts on tom's, you can't be that much of a noob now, can you? :D 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 9, 2010 10:25:00 AM

Go ahead. Enlighten me.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 9, 2010 10:32:16 AM

calguyhunk said:
No really, pirating AV software makes no sense, 'coz, as I've already said free AV+Firewall does the job better than most paid security suites.

So, it's really not out of necessity, but stupidity.

But Herr, With 2300 posts on tom's, you can't be that much of a noob now, can you? :D 

So why the sob story about why Indians have to pirate software? Free software is available for just about any application you can think of; certainly for AV, which is the topic under discussion. Poverty is no excuse for piracy. I might as well argue that as I can't afford a Ferrari I'm entitled to steal one.
m
l
December 9, 2010 10:40:43 AM

Ijack said:
... when software is available for free there's no excuse for pirating commercial versions
Sorry for playing the Devil's advocate here, but much as I loathe copyright infringement, with driver compatibility (or lack thereof) on Linux, program support (or lack thereof) for Wine, and lack of understanding of the command-line interface and the unholy nexus between MS and the OEM's mean that it's always gonna be well neigh impossible for "free software" in the OS context to be as successful as the GUI based Windows for the general home user, even though, most of 'em pay unnecessarily for Windows when Ubuntu+Open Office is all you need for Youtube, Netflix, Gmail and basic productivity - which is what over 90% of the net users almost exclusively use their PC's for.

BTW, sorry guys, for the longest sentence ever on Tom's :p 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 9, 2010 10:47:43 AM

If the problem is the fact that Windows comes pre-installed on most PCs, then it's not a problem. All the applications that you mention are available on Windows at no cost. Otherwise, even the most naive user can use Linux just as easily as Windows, particularly if they stick to the applications that you mention. They don't need to worry about Wine or the command-line interface.
m
l
December 9, 2010 10:51:02 AM

Ijack said:
I might as well argue that as I can't afford a Ferrari I'm entitled to steal one.
Sorry, but bad argument. Again, it's desire vs. necessity. Nobody needs a Ferrari. But everybody needs Computers in the 21st century.

Also, stealing means the person who originally paid for it can't use his own any more. If Vinit uses his downloaded Windows, does it mean that you are suffering in any way, shape or form?

The real "stealing a Ferrari" parallel would be to steal a laptop or something, whereby the real owner would be left without his own personal belonging.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 9, 2010 10:55:42 AM

calguyhunk said:
Nobody needs a Ferrari. But everybody needs Computers in the 21st century.

Rubbish. Plenty of people live without computers in the 21st Century, just as they do without mobile phones, TVs, etc. And where computers are needed there are plenty of places that provide public access.

Depriving software publishers and authors of the money that they would receive from legitimate sale of their software is just as much theft as my depriving someone of their Ferrari. It's illegal and it's immoral.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 9, 2010 11:12:50 AM

Agreed 100% ijack.

Still waiting to hear why I'm apparently a noob...?
m
l
December 9, 2010 11:38:55 AM

Ijack said:
Rubbish. Plenty of people live without computers in the 21st Century, just as they do without mobile phones, TVs, etc. And where computers are needed there are plenty of places that provide public access.
So do a lot of people without food, shelter and clothing. We are talking about general people trying to have a semblance of a 'normal' existence. How can you speak of people living without the basic amenities with such utter disrespect and disregard? Try putting yourself in their shoes for once and maybe you'll have it in your heart to be a bit more respectful rather than so dismissive.
Ijack said:
Depriving software publishers and authors of the money that they would receive from legitimate sale of their software is just as much theft as my depriving someone of their Ferrari. It's illegal and it's immoral.
Wow, you are more pro-corporate than Bush and Thatcher put together. Maybe you're one of those who think that Wikileaks should be banned as well?

I can understand if you're a developer with a software vendor, but otherwise, you still haven't answered my question. What does a genuine user lose if somebody else uses pirated?

I've already explained as to why it's not the same as "stealing a Ferrari", where the original buyer suffers both financially and emotionally on account of having lost not just the monetary investment, but also something that he is emotionally attached to.

On second thoughts, don't bother answering/-
Herr_Koos said:
Still waiting to hear why I'm apparently a noob...?
I didn't say you're a noob. Said you cannot possibly be one.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 9, 2010 1:50:47 PM

calguyhunk said:
Try putting yourself in their shoes for once and maybe you'll have it in your heart to be a bit more respectful rather than so dismissive.
You're such a saint! I might be dismissive if I hadn't pointed out the perfectly good, free, legal alternatives available. Keep your "holier than thou" attitude to yourself, please.
calguyhunk said:
Wow, you are more pro-corporate than Bush and Thatcher put together. Maybe you're one of those who think that Wikileaks should be banned as well?
What stunning logic. I don't like theft therefore I want Wikileaks banned. Grow up.
calguyhunk said:
I can understand if you're a developer with a software vendor
Ah - so you do understand! Still no answer from you as to why people should rip off software when there are perfectly good free alternatives available.

To use your logic, I guess you're the sort of guy who thinks it's OK to sneak into the movies or concerts without paying, or ride on trains and buses without paying a fare - after all, you're not depriving the owners of anything, are you?
m
l
December 9, 2010 6:41:49 PM

I fully appreciate that in some places in the world, there is poverty and certain things cannot be afforded by most people. But...
There are so many hacks and software cracks that contain malicious code. There is pirated software out there that isn't, but there is pleanty that is. Do we really need to talk about the scope of botnets?

MS office is expensive. So you get open office for free.
AV is expensive - So use a decent free one.
Windows is expensive - So use Linux and a suitable GUI, its free.

If you absolutly need windows to gain a job for instance, you can install for a 30 day trial, a few times (well extend).

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 9, 2010 9:27:06 PM

Using pirated software will increase the price of the deveolpment and release of new software. That will affect all legitimate users. They may not even continue to release new software due to piracy. This will again affect legitimate users and even those who use illegal downloads and cracks of the software. This means people like........... You know who you are. Get real and get your hand in your pocket if you dont want to use the excellent free software available.
m
l
December 9, 2010 10:16:51 PM

mibix19 said:
Using pirated software will increase the price of the deveolpment and release of new software. That will affect all legitimate users. They may not even continue to release new software due to piracy. This will again affect legitimate users and even those who use illegal downloads and cracks of the software. This means people like........... You know who you are. Get real and get your hand in your pocket if you dont want to use the excellent free software available.

I appreciate this contribution and is an argument that has been used by many against all kinds of theft. However I don't believe this can be applied to the software industry.

Most pirates wouldn't be using the software if they had to pay for it. Piracy only hurts the industry if the users who would pay, stopped buying. If they couldn't get a free copy of MS office, they would use open office.

The development cost remains the same, the programmers still get paid the same, the legitimate user still pay the same price. I also doubt the software prices would go down if piracy stopped. Prices are based on the maximum profitability of the product. Piracy has never and will never be a cause for price change, to say it is, well thats just niave.
m
l
December 10, 2010 12:15:08 AM

But I would argue Piracy DOES hurt those of us who DO pay for software. Also, development costs would go up because the developers put in extra steps to keep people from pirating, therefore you have to pay people for extra time, or pay an outside company to provide protection to help secure the software. So yes development costs could in fact go up in that situation. Because of software pirates, we have to have activation schemes, deal with roadblocks developers put in the road. Look at PC gaming. When you have to use a system like steam to activate games because people keep pirating games.

And saying that you cannot get along with just free software, give me a break. You can find a free or open source alternative for nearly every paid program out there. Open Office is good, for my wife and I in our computer business, we use mostly free software. I think the last thing I bought was Acronis true image 2009 for 12.99. For those of us in the US, don't whine about being unemployed. Been down that road myself.

For antivirus, avg free is decent, I like avast better after being a longtime user of avg. If you need something free for business, check out Forticlient, or the free av from MS is free for up to 10 machines I think too.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 10, 2010 3:30:31 AM

frustr8ted said:
If you run AVG, they have caused BSOD and NTLDR boot errors on most versions of Microsoft operating systems including Win7. The result: no boot. If you run AVG and can't boot, get to the AVG website to obtain repair instructions and download a boot repair for CD (burn an ISO) or a zip file for USB boot - the file is too big for a floppy.

Like I've said many times before, don't use junk free downloaded programs, and you will not have these kinds of problems.
There is no substitute for professional software.
And there is no professional software that is free.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 10, 2010 5:40:54 AM

Plumble said:

Windows is expensive - So use Linux and a suitable GUI, its free.

Is Windows expensive? I don't consider something I bought nine years ago for £150 but which still runs effectively and is continually updated and will be for another four years to be expensive? I used AVG free for years before I no longer qualified and paid for it - now I have the free MSE from M$ because I can use that on up to ten machines. I don't crack or pirate software for the same reason I don't steal from shops - I wouldn't have the guts to do the latter in case I get caught and the former is just a copout for other s like me because they're hidden away and less likely to be found out.

I've probably gone through a dozen Linux builds in that time for absolutely no cost. I've forgotten most of what I knew about command line because the GUIs are now so like Windows you could easily forget where you are.

m
l
December 17, 2010 8:13:18 PM

soundguruman said:
Like I've said many times before, don't use junk free downloaded programs, and you will not have these kinds of problems.
There is no substitute for professional software.
And there is no professional software that is free.

That sounds boorishly elitist. What's the name of the professional company you own?
m
l
December 18, 2010 1:03:31 AM

fowang said:

While it is free, that does not excuse the mess that AVG has left on the computers of many users. AVG has always worked well for me, though.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 18, 2010 5:37:06 AM

GoldenI said:
While it is free, that does not excuse the mess that AVG has left on the computers of many users. AVG has always worked well for me, though.

They screwed up - they apologised - they issued a fix for their error. What more could they do? Only a tiny percentage of the total user count was affected anyway.

Find me someone who doesn't make the occasional mistake in the course of a day's work and I'll suggest they go back to their own planet because the population of this one is fallible.

m
l
!