If you run AVG on Windows

frustr8ted

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
If you run AVG, they have caused BSOD and NTLDR boot errors on most versions of Microsoft operating systems including Win7. The result: no boot. If you run AVG and can't boot, get to the AVG website to obtain repair instructions and download a boot repair for CD (burn an ISO) or a zip file for USB boot - the file is too big for a floppy.

About a week late and only applies to Vista and W7 but good advice anyway. The 3292 mess will not still be affecting people even if they've been away from a week - subsequent updates have cleaned it up. If anyone is still staring at a blank screen after updating AVG on December 2nd, there's a bit more on the subject.

I fixed two W7 systems which were affected by rolling back using System Restore from a startup DVD.

Plumble

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010

AVG made a mistake, it happens even with MS but saying free AVs are crappy is just plain wrong.
AVG is normally quite a reasonable product, even the free version.
I find that I have had just as good protection from AVG and Avast (I also use Avira on my home server) as I've had from Norton and Kaspersky.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Not if you want to run your system at snail's pace at any rate :)

But seriously, I'm amazed at the gentleman who said "crappy free AV protection". Avast along with Online Armor basically trumps most paid security suites. And really when the paid alternatives are McAfee (whom we pay to get infected) and Norton (whom we pay to bottleneck our systems by hogging resources). I think most people with the slightest idea 'bout online security on Windows based systems will choose free, fast alternatives.

IMO, Kaspersky's the only viable paid alternative in terms of speed, reliability and being value for money. (Never used Nod 32/Comodo personally, but heard and read a lot of good things 'bout 'em though).

Me, I use KIS on my own laptop (A lot of financial transactions - banking/trading), and MSE+Win firewall on mine and my Mom's desktops - Which basically suffices any need for 99% home PC's, I'd imagine.

vinit_07

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

Now latest version is very good and it is very fast .....it speeds up the computer speed.........and latest software of Avg i.e. Avg pc tune up ......also helps us to improve the computer performance ......
AVG is best .......i also uses this software ..and its most effective software of today's world.....:D :) ;)

vinit_07

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

i m very confused y u paid for software.....?????
:p
:sweat:
u should download ur software with their pirate keys or with cracks...
u must downoad antivirus with their pirates keys or with cracks..
and u'll get free updates from the antivirus sites..
it good to be used pirate keys or crack .....its simple or easy.... :D :na: :sol: :hello:

Because piracy is illegal and not supported on these forums. Read the rules before you post here again.

Besides, cracking an AV suite is probably the height of stupidity, since chances are it will come with a free virus included.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
@vinit_07 - Please enlighten me if I'm wrong, but since when has 'Vinit' become a female name?

@Herr_Koos - He (not she, I don't think) is Indian, where the avg monthly salary is around 80 US dollars (Per Capita GDP of $1000).

If you have to pay for every piece of software, you'll have to go without food (and clothing and lodging) for the whole year.

As it is, both hardware and software is so much more expensive than in the good 'ol US of A

Windows 7 Home Premium- $140 ($100 on Newegg)

Office 2010 Home and Student- Almost $200 ($110 on Newegg)

PC- $500

Total- 800 dollars or 10 months income.

Let's leave the rest aside. Before somebody judges people in the 3rd world for piracy, one has to look at the moral side of things not just the legal aspect.

At the same rate, Americans would have had to pay $35,000 for just PC+Windows+Office. (That would be 10 months income in a country where the per capita income is $40,000).

I hope there's a bit more understanding now :)

But of course having said that Vinit, please erase your last post. If an unsympathetic moderator chances upon your post, you might just be in a spot of bother.

And btw, herr, "cracking an AV suite is probably the height of stupidity, since chances are it will come with a free virus included". I mean seriously?

Come on buddy, you can do better than that :D

I'm being deadly serious. More often than not, cracks will attempt to install a trojan of some kind.

All very sad, but when software is available for free there's no excuse for pirating commercial versions. And, as Herr Koos said, it's just asking for trouble to download cracked AV programs.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
No really, pirating AV software makes no sense, 'coz, as I've already said free AV+Firewall does the job better than most paid security suites.

So, it's really not out of necessity, but stupidity.

But Herr,
With 2300 posts on tom's, you can't be that much of a noob now, can you? :D

So why the sob story about why Indians have to pirate software? Free software is available for just about any application you can think of; certainly for AV, which is the topic under discussion. Poverty is no excuse for piracy. I might as well argue that as I can't afford a Ferrari I'm entitled to steal one.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Sorry for playing the Devil's advocate here, but much as I loathe copyright infringement, with driver compatibility (or lack thereof) on Linux, program support (or lack thereof) for Wine, and lack of understanding of the command-line interface and the unholy nexus between MS and the OEM's mean that it's always gonna be well neigh impossible for "free software" in the OS context to be as successful as the GUI based Windows for the general home user, even though, most of 'em pay unnecessarily for Windows when Ubuntu+Open Office is all you need for Youtube, Netflix, Gmail and basic productivity - which is what over 90% of the net users almost exclusively use their PC's for.

BTW, sorry guys, for the longest sentence ever on Tom's :p

If the problem is the fact that Windows comes pre-installed on most PCs, then it's not a problem. All the applications that you mention are available on Windows at no cost. Otherwise, even the most naive user can use Linux just as easily as Windows, particularly if they stick to the applications that you mention. They don't need to worry about Wine or the command-line interface.