Temporary Disablement of Firewall

April 18, 2005 5:49:02 AM

Hi,

I am trying to download adobe acrobat reader 7.0. This is not working, so I
phoned Adobe for advice.

Their representative says "your firewall is blocking the installation.
disable it, download Acrobat, then re-enable it".

I dont want to mess this up and leave my firewall open. is this good
advice, and how do i disable/enable it?

Thanks
April 18, 2005 9:13:15 AM

In news:0FC7F73E-FD19-4B52-B5C8-2A03FEEBB679@microsoft.com,
Al Jay <alan@morelandinsurance.co.(donotspam)> had this to say:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to download adobe acrobat reader 7.0. This is not
> working, so I phoned Adobe for advice.
>
> Their representative says "your firewall is blocking the installation.
> disable it, download Acrobat, then re-enable it".
>
> I dont want to mess this up and leave my firewall open. is this good
> advice, and how do i disable/enable it?
>
> Thanks

That would depend on the firewall that you're using. Is it really blocking
it? If it's blocking it then it should tell you in it's log if it is. Are
you using Windows Firewall or are you using a third party firewall? If so
which one? As for it being good advice I'm not too sure about that but
there's been times when I've had to disable a firewall but not to download
an application. Better advice would be to configure your firewall properly I
should think. If it's a third party firewall you can disable it from the
system tray icon probably. If it's the Windows Firewall right click on the
connection and change the settings. Just be sure to turn it back on when
you're done. If it's a hardware firewall you'll need to read the manual.

Galen
April 18, 2005 9:13:16 AM

Hi,

thanks for that. my firewalls are (I think) McAfee Groupshield and
Outbreak. does that make sense?

I dont have a manual for the server. we bought it in from a software house
for our industry and they retain most admin rights on the server. however,
they charge for reconfiguring servers, and i dont see that it is a big task.

alternative question - how can i download an earlier version of Acrobat
reader (v5 or v6)? i have googled but cant see it anywhere.

AJ

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:0FC7F73E-FD19-4B52-B5C8-2A03FEEBB679@microsoft.com,
> Al Jay <alan@morelandinsurance.co.(donotspam)> had this to say:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to download adobe acrobat reader 7.0. This is not
> > working, so I phoned Adobe for advice.
> >
> > Their representative says "your firewall is blocking the installation.
> > disable it, download Acrobat, then re-enable it".
> >
> > I dont want to mess this up and leave my firewall open. is this good
> > advice, and how do i disable/enable it?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> That would depend on the firewall that you're using. Is it really blocking
> it? If it's blocking it then it should tell you in it's log if it is. Are
> you using Windows Firewall or are you using a third party firewall? If so
> which one? As for it being good advice I'm not too sure about that but
> there's been times when I've had to disable a firewall but not to download
> an application. Better advice would be to configure your firewall properly I
> should think. If it's a third party firewall you can disable it from the
> system tray icon probably. If it's the Windows Firewall right click on the
> connection and change the settings. Just be sure to turn it back on when
> you're done. If it's a hardware firewall you'll need to read the manual.
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

Related resources
April 18, 2005 11:13:52 AM

In news:794BC052-A420-4B87-9801-8CD25B2463E7@microsoft.com,
Al Jay <alan@morelandinsurance.co.(donotspam)> had this to say:

> Hi,
>
> thanks for that. my firewalls are (I think) McAfee Groupshield and
> Outbreak. does that make sense?
>
> I dont have a manual for the server. we bought it in from a software
> house for our industry and they retain most admin rights on the
> server. however, they charge for reconfiguring servers, and i dont
> see that it is a big task.
>
> alternative question - how can i download an earlier version of
> Acrobat reader (v5 or v6)? i have googled but cant see it anywhere.

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=acrobat

There are also alternatives to Adobe for PDF file viewing but few people
seem to know about them. <g>

Galen
April 18, 2005 2:58:58 PM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:49:02 -0700, Al Jay wrote:

> I am trying to download adobe acrobat reader 7.0. This is not working,
> so I phoned Adobe for advice.
>
> Their representative says "your firewall is blocking the installation.
> disable it, download Acrobat, then re-enable it".
>
> I dont want to mess this up and leave my firewall open. is this good
> advice, and how do i disable/enable it?

My guess, since you didn't tell us, is that you're running a personal
firewall application on your computer. If you were connected through a NAT
Router device or normal Firewall Appliance, you would not have any problem
getting the update.

Let me suggest that you purchase at least a NAT Router device (D-Link,
Netgear, Linksys) for your home network so that you don't have to worry
about disabling your PFW for a few seconds.

We can't tell you how to download/install AR7 unless you tell us what
personal firewall product you are using.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

NAT firewalls are a necessary tool, but one should still have a software
firewall to monitor outgoing activity. Having a good hardware firewall does
not negate the need for a software firewall.

Bobby

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:49:02 -0700, Al Jay wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to download adobe acrobat reader 7.0. This is not working,
>> so I phoned Adobe for advice.
>>
>> Their representative says "your firewall is blocking the installation.
>> disable it, download Acrobat, then re-enable it".
>>
>> I dont want to mess this up and leave my firewall open. is this good
>> advice, and how do i disable/enable it?
>
> My guess, since you didn't tell us, is that you're running a personal
> firewall application on your computer. If you were connected through a NAT
> Router device or normal Firewall Appliance, you would not have any problem
> getting the update.
>
> Let me suggest that you purchase at least a NAT Router device (D-Link,
> Netgear, Linksys) for your home network so that you don't have to worry
> about disabling your PFW for a few seconds.
>
> We can't tell you how to download/install AR7 unless you tell us what
> personal firewall product you are using.
>
> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 4:54:18 PM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:05:33 -1000, NoNoBadDog! wrote:

> NAT firewalls are a necessary tool, but one should still have a software
> firewall to monitor outgoing activity. Having a good hardware firewall
> does not negate the need for a software firewall.

Except that a personal firewall application won't protect you while you're
installing the OS, wont protect you if the machine is compromised, won't
protect you if you run as an Administrator level account and encounter a
malicious bit of code that disables the firewall.....

I know many NAT router users that have been online for 5+ years without a
compromise, I don't know any personal firewall only users that can say the
same. While I'm sure there are clean systems with personal firewalls, and
I do believe in multiple layers, the idea of using a PFW for the typical
home user is really a joke their ignorant hands.

Also, consider that most corporations and many small businesses use
Firewalls (not those fake firewalls that only do NAT), and don't run PFW's
on their systems, it's fairly safe to run computers protected by a
"Firewall" at the border - keeping in mind that those cheap NAT boxes are
not firewalls (even though the vendors label them as firewalls). I've
been designing computer systems since the 70's and secure networks for a
long time, never had a system/user compromised in all that time, and not
one personal firewall application running on any of those systems, and
yes, they are mostly all Windows based systems/servers.

One last thing - if the user purchases a quality NAT box, they provide
traffic monitoring, and if WallWatcher supports the device you can easily
see what is going in/out of the network in real time.

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:49:02 -0700, Al Jay wrote:
>>>
>>> I am trying to download adobe acrobat reader 7.0. This is not
>>> working, so I phoned Adobe for advice.
>>>
>>> Their representative says "your firewall is blocking the installation.
>>> disable it, download Acrobat, then re-enable it".
>>>
>>> I dont want to mess this up and leave my firewall open. is this good
>>> advice, and how do i disable/enable it?
>>
>> My guess, since you didn't tell us, is that you're running a personal
>> firewall application on your computer. If you were connected through a
>> NAT Router device or normal Firewall Appliance, you would not have any
>> problem getting the update.
>>
>> Let me suggest that you purchase at least a NAT Router device (D-Link,
>> Netgear, Linksys) for your home network so that you don't have to worry
>> about disabling your PFW for a few seconds.
>>
>> We can't tell you how to download/install AR7 unless you tell us what
>> personal firewall product you are using.
>>
>> --
>> spam999free@rrohio.com
>> remove 999 in order to email me

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 4:54:19 PM

I liked your response but what exactly in a NAT box? I run a PFW - Norton -
but I feel that I sometimes need more especially when upgrading. I like the
idea of being able to monitor traffic as i sometimes watch my modem sending
something and wonder just what is going on, is it an upgrade or something
more malicious. Can you reccomend a good hardware firewall please.
Regards

!