Radeon 9800 output cuts out

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 10, 2004 3:49:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,aus.computers (More info?)

Pentium 4 2 Gigahertz
768 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

I have connected a CRT monitor, and an LCD display to my Radeon (either
both together or one at a time) and booted Windows.

From time to time, the display will cut out entirely. There's no sync
signal going to the monitor - you can tell because my monitors behave
the same way when a cable is unplugged. The output is black for about
half a second, then it kicks in again. Sometimes it flashes on/off at
about 1 Hertz, but it's not completely regular.

All my power cables are plugged in tightly, and the cables are secure.
I've tested both monitors with another computer - no problem.

It happens sometimes during the BIOS boot screen and particularly under
Windows. I can make it less likely by winding down the 'Hardware
Acceleration' property, and make it stop altogether by disabling all
acceleration. Obviously this means I can no longer play Doom 3...
November 10, 2004 3:49:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,aus.computers (More info?)

I had that same problem (but on a 9000 card). It turned out it was the
actual on/off button on the older monitor I had. As the monitor heated up
and cooled down, the connection as well. This was a monitor that was almost
always on.

worth another peek.

SL

"Richard Cavell" <richardcavell@mail.com> wrote in message
> Pentium 4 2 Gigahertz
> 768 MB RAM
> ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
>
> I have connected a CRT monitor, and an LCD display to my Radeon (either
> both together or one at a time) and booted Windows.
>
> From time to time, the display will cut out entirely. There's no sync
> signal going to the monitor - you can tell because my monitors behave the
> same way when a cable is unplugged. The output is black for about half a
> second, then it kicks in again. Sometimes it flashes on/off at about 1
> Hertz, but it's not completely regular.
>
> All my power cables are plugged in tightly, and the cables are secure.
> I've tested both monitors with another computer - no problem.
>
> It happens sometimes during the BIOS boot screen and particularly under
> Windows. I can make it less likely by winding down the 'Hardware
> Acceleration' property, and make it stop altogether by disabling all
> acceleration. Obviously this means I can no longer play Doom 3...
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 3:22:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,aus.computers (More info?)

I have a similar issue with my 9800

but its with the TV out, I only use the S video connection to my TV and
intermittently it cuts out, sometimes several times, then going away,
sometimes just cuts out and doesn't come back. No amount of playing with
cables helps. I have to restart the computer when that happens.

"Richard Cavell" <richardcavell@mail.com> wrote in message
> Pentium 4 2 Gigahertz
> 768 MB RAM
> ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
>
> I have connected a CRT monitor, and an LCD display to my Radeon (either
> both together or one at a time) and booted Windows.
>
> From time to time, the display will cut out entirely. There's no sync
> signal going to the monitor - you can tell because my monitors behave the
> same way when a cable is unplugged. The output is black for about half a
> second, then it kicks in again. Sometimes it flashes on/off at about 1
> Hertz, but it's not completely regular.
>
> All my power cables are plugged in tightly, and the cables are secure.
> I've tested both monitors with another computer - no problem.
>
> It happens sometimes during the BIOS boot screen and particularly under
> Windows. I can make it less likely by winding down the 'Hardware
> Acceleration' property, and make it stop altogether by disabling all
> acceleration. Obviously this means I can no longer play Doom 3...
November 10, 2004 11:43:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,aus.computers (More info?)

Have you plugged a plug from the power supply into it?

"Richard Cavell" <richardcavell@mail.com> wrote in message
> Pentium 4 2 Gigahertz
> 768 MB RAM
> ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
>
> I have connected a CRT monitor, and an LCD display to my Radeon (either
> both together or one at a time) and booted Windows.
>
> From time to time, the display will cut out entirely. There's no sync
> signal going to the monitor - you can tell because my monitors behave
> the same way when a cable is unplugged. The output is black for about
> half a second, then it kicks in again. Sometimes it flashes on/off at
> about 1 Hertz, but it's not completely regular.
>
> All my power cables are plugged in tightly, and the cables are secure.
> I've tested both monitors with another computer - no problem.
>
> It happens sometimes during the BIOS boot screen and particularly under
> Windows. I can make it less likely by winding down the 'Hardware
> Acceleration' property, and make it stop altogether by disabling all
> acceleration. Obviously this means I can no longer play Doom 3...
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 2:21:24 AM

On 10/11/04 8:43 PM, Byron Forbes wrote:
> Have you plugged a plug from the power supply into it?

Yes, and I bought a better power supply especially for it.
!